Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:48 AM   #1

Just copied this post from another great forum :G that I thought I had to share, didn't see any post about it here,

Some might remember him.:?

[line]End of a Pentax Legend! Loved him or hated him (as I did) well not hate so much as thought he was a sad nerd with a lot of money who had no idea what he was on about.

Ricehigh has finally found his ultimate camera - the canon 5d- and left Pentax.
Apparently he is into portraiture and sports photography - who would have known it! Came as a huge shock to me.

Just had to share my happy news.
[line]
and offcourse his first start of ... at (http://photozone.de/active/forum/ShowAll?ID=1085235A)

[line]
5D flaws:
1. Funny auto ISO logic in green mode: default is ISO 400 and the ISO will only be decreased for *very* bright scene!(?);

2. No Auto ISO in any other modes P, A, S, M and B.

3. I am still not adapting to the manually selected ISO which when I selected a high one, e.g., indoor and subsequently no need to use it, I still forgot to put back thing right for re-setting back to lower ISO! :-(

4. Optically, the 24-105L seems no better than any of my Pentax primes :-( or even the cheapo Pentax DA zooms!(?) My DA 16-45 @16 has less distortion than the 24-105 @ 24. As for 3d feel and colours and particularly flare control, Pentax still wins here.

More to come next! :-D
[line]

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:26 AM   #2

Ronny

Thanks for making my day, much Brighter!!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:41 AM   #3

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:52 AM   #4

Interesting but how does the K10D in any physical way compare to the 5D... featues yes.

The old apples and oranges,,,, though in other than full frame of the 5D the K10D does do many things the 5D can't.... and every bit the equal or better than the now aging long over due updating if not just model replacement 30D.

And in first year by demand not fix requirement Pentax has twice updated the 10D for the better likely beta tester suggested added features... not just fixes.... Canon or Nikon ever even done that.... no we have perfect product out of the box.... yet original Rebel (300D) to their chagrin was hacked (by outsiders tired of Canon's snobberry) for the better to near 10D.... they of course mand sure could never happen again on the XT and XTi Even Samsung who tried to claim that couldn't get away with that long on the 10X with 2 significant Pentax updates on the 10D.... but long lagging them on getting it out there.

And no as someone here might say, this is NOT Canon BASHING just obvious observation... OK 100D minor threat... but since the K10D came out Canon and Nikon have updated NOTHING.... wonder why?

And those of you say no way niether will have in body IS... may soon be eating your words... at least on the lower end. What other reason for the delay.... especially with SONY M/K buy out :roll: and Olympus doing the same as well as Pentax.

And not that lens IS might not be MARGINALLY better for those that will pay anything for a lens.... but again ALL competition BUT C&N going body IS has to be giving them pause.... and again NO hardware UPDATES or new models from either.

PS there is no reason you can't put a lens IS lens on a body IS camera.... just turn it off so they don't fight each other..... angain C&N can't claim that possibility.... lens is the ONLY option.

And OK several will still pooh pooh this thread.... but again since particularly K10D INTRODUCTION (AND Sony AND OLYMPUS ARE ON THE BANDWAGON TOO.... NOTHING NEW FROM C&N?) HMMMM WONDR WHY?

Unless they want their ONLY market to be more money (write off) than god professionals.

Sorry but next gen (unless just dropped) Rebel is going to HAVE TO have BODY IS.... plain and simple .... ALL the competiion does,,,,, Pentax may have started it offf.... but Sony M/K and Olympus where FAST to jump on.

So C&N become TOTALLY more money than GOD PRO... or they succume to offering the maybe slightly better lens IS ONLY as a better pro option on their cameras otherwise have body IS..... especially on the low level like Rebel.

Anyone really want to still say this is BS thought????

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:09 AM   #5

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Just copied this post from another great forum :G that I thought I had to share, didn't see any post about it here,

Some might remember him.:?

[line]End of a Pentax Legend! Loved him or hated him (as I did) well not hate so much as thought he was a sad nerd with a lot of money who had no idea what he was on about.

Ricehigh has finally found his ultimate camera - the canon 5d- and left Pentax.
Apparently he is into portraiture and sports photography - who would have known it! Came as a huge shock to me.

Just had to share my happy news.
[line]
and offcourse his first start of ... at (http://photozone.de/active/forum/ShowAll?ID=1085235A)

[line]
5D flaws:
1. Funny auto ISO logic in green mode: default is ISO 400 and the ISO will only be decreased for *very* bright scene!(?);

2. No Auto ISO in any other modes P, A, S, M and B.

3. I am still not adapting to the manually selected ISO which when I selected a high one, e.g., indoor and subsequently no need to use it, I still forgot to put back thing right for re-setting back to lower ISO! :-(

4. Optically, the 24-105L seems no better than any of my Pentax primes :-( or even the cheapo Pentax DA zooms!(?) My DA 16-45 @16 has less distortion than the 24-105 @ 24. As for 3d feel and colours and particularly flare control, Pentax still wins here.

More to come next! :-D
[line]
I would not call him a legend. That is not an end too. Let us see. Put our fingers crossed

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:51 AM   #6

Hi,

Just say ADIOS!!! Not a legend, More of a PIA! All he could write about is Testing and what is wrong with any equipment.

So with that, ADIOS Rice High, The Canon people will love you! they are alot like you. Measurebators and pixelpeepers. Oh yeah, They love to take pictures of charts and brick walls.....:G

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Sorry but next gen (unless just dropped) Rebel is going to HAVE TO have BODY IS.... plain and simple .... ALL the competiion does,,,,, Pentax may have started it offf.... but Sony M/K and Olympus where FAST to jump on.
I thought KM where the first to use body AS?
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:49 AM   #8

they were
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:04 PM   #9
TDN

can I get a

HALLELUJA
?

:-)
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:06 PM   #10
TDN

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
wait...he was into photography? When did that happen?
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote