Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:30 AM   #21
Administrator

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Who the heck in their right minds use INTERNET EXPLODER?????... unless they MUST and a site that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES and trust (STILL WON'T DO THE dot net REGISTRATION) it and they feel safe on??? (Virus INVITATION) Mozzila/Firefox forever.... not to mention now Safarri (amoungst the others)
Well, none of them are perfect. A number of vulnerabilities have been found in Firefox, too. But, they are usually not as severe as the ones in IE, and Mozilla has a better reputation for fixing bugs faster. You also don't have the Internet Explorer Active X integration and security issues with Firefox.

As for Safari, the press had a field day with security loopholes found in the beta for Windows.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

To Apple's credit, they did release updates quickly to fix the serious vulnerabilities reported. But, those are only the ones we know about. lol

Personally, I use Firefox for browsing, and if a site requires IE, I try to "spoof" the browser ID to see if that solves it first. I use a product called prefbar for that purpose (it lets Firefox report that it's really IE 6 on XP).

I also try not to use Windows at all unless absolutely necessary (I spend most of my time in Linux). From my perspective, Windows has a bulls eye painted on it and hardly a month goes before new "critical" patches are released to prevent your PC from being compromised by an attacker (often by simply visiting a web site with code designed to exploit the vulnerability).

If you must run Windows, it's probably a good idea not to do it with Admin access, and be careful of your initial vulnerabilities until you can patch and secure it, especially if you're not behind a firewall. According to this article the average unpatched Windows PC connected to the internet lasts less than 20 minutes before being compromised.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/30000109

Sometimes sites really do require IE though. The WowBB software here is also optimized for IE. But, the developer made some changes later that allowed WYSIWG type editing from within Firefox, too (although it's a bit flaky from time to time). Originally, you had to use embedded BB code to format your text with Firefox. That changed in later WowBB versions. But, the integration with Firefox is not quite as good as with IE.

Quote:
And why not just part of the editor? (Not Steve's fault but as mature as the software is should be nor it crapping out the way it has been of late.... again likely no one here's fault just M$ like toO early released BS.
Well, we haven't been thrilled with the problems we've been having either. We are working towards trying to resolve some of it (new equipment in during the week, not yet installed) and more. We'll try to get it stabilized as soon as possible. Then, we plan on looking into ways to modify the WowBB code to improve the forums experience here.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:28 AM   #22

Never meant to inply Firefox/Mozilla was bullit proof.... nor am I sure Apple OS REALLY is either but just a much smaller why even bother BULLS EYE, when you can SO EASILY screw up 80% of the world without even hardly trying.

In FACTI hope Mozilla NEVER does surplant IE for that VERY reason.... it nice flying well under the radar
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:35 AM   #23

Wasn't this a thread about upcoming Pentax models and a bag?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:04 AM   #24
Administrator

You're right. We shouldn't be hijacking the thread.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:35 AM   #25

Not even being a Pentax shooter, my opinion probably doesn't count for much.None the lessI happen to think positively about the merger. It seems Pentax is selling gear on a rising curve. Now why would you wan't to kill that off. If Hoya used the fact that the pentax name had been around for as long as it has in their marketing they could do great things. ( name recognition should be an asset for pentax )

A great line up would be.

k100d - k10D - K1D

Being a Nikon shooter i still feel the best bang for the buck in entry DSLR rangeis theK100D, and in the midrange the 10D is as well. Now we just need and upgrade path... ( K1D ) Eventhough iseriously doubt that there isthat much moneyto be made in the Pro segment. ( more of a prestige project really )

Asfor thespelling debate.I must admit i dont find itall that important for the rest of thethread. Lets not let a bit oflanguage ( and some small spelling no nos )cloud what we are talking about.

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:18 PM   #26

I can see a few things possibly happening to Pentax. Hoya could decide to keep them up and running even though they wish to concentrate on the medical imaging division. Or they could decide to dump the camera division. If that happens I guess the best of the possibilities would be..... they sell it to Samsung. Samsung seems dedicated to selling dslr's. So far they have simply rebadged Pentax's line, but I could see them buying the camera division off Hoya if they decide to dump it. Yeah it would suck not having the Pentax name on a cam any longer, but at least there would be a platform for all our glass.

I WOULD like to see hoya let us know wtf is up so I can make some decisions on what direction to go. Do I stick with Pentax and look forward to the next gen cam, or do I switch to N or C knowing they are stable companies and their lines will continue on?
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:34 PM   #27

Maybe they could do what GM has done to SAAB. They bought a prestigeous brand name and a bleeding company. Now they use the brand name for their prestigeousupmarket car models and make use of a mix oftechnology from SAAB, Opeland Chrysler to rationalize production and cut costs. I wouldn't mind if Pentax in the future means "high quality Samsung camera". Would be a stupid idea of Hoya to just flush such a name down the sewerage.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote