Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:00 PM   #1

When can we expect an announcement from Hoya / Pentax about the future .

Some jerk at the local Camera store told me that Pentax is out of Business .

OH ! any recomendations on a good camera bag for a K100D .

Thanks
georgetrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:20 AM   #2

holy crap dont start a bag thread!

i like mine alot (search 'apollo backpack' on ebay to see it, it is very nice and alittle bigger than similar priced offerings from the more well known brands).

but of course, by 'like', i mean i look at different bags every other day trying to find something that will work just alittle better.

I also have an empty dickies satchel bag that i got a domke 3 lens insert for that works well for a quicker (and lighter) excursion.

it really depends on what you want, and what your total gear encompasses.

i can fit all of the following in/on the bag mentioned above:

k10d

pentax 16-45mm f4

pentax 50mm f1.7 A

pentax A 70-210mm f4

tamron 1.4x TC

sunpak 383 flash

all the camera cables, 3 memory cards, AA rechargeables and charger, set of cokin filters, the wife's point and shoot, my compact independent leg tripod on the outside.

but, no laptop (reason for the searching!)

Crumpler makes very nice satchels and laptop/camera backpacks (the sinking barge and customary barge are both very nice, and very expensive!)

alas, for $55 the black version of the backpack i currently have was well worth its weight in, well, whatever its made of.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3

oh, and camera store clerks tend to be that way about pentax. i dont mind as long as they keep selling pentax lenses way cheaper than people on ebay!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Some jerk at the local Camera store told me that Pentax is out of Business .
Pentax just ran a full page ad featuring their DSLRs in Popular Photography, lamenting that they have been so poor atmarketing in the past and promising to do better in the future. Doesn't sound like they are planning to go away any time soon. Maybe Hoya will be better at marketingPentaxes than Pentax has been.

Camera stores push Canon and Nikon because they sell well, because those companies subsidize their advertising, and because of other dealer incentives they provide - you have seen the ads: Canon and So-and-so's Camera" or "Nikon and So-and-so's Camera." I have a good friend who until recently had owned a brick-and-morter camera store for many years - most recently Leica sent him on an all-expense trip to Europe. He didn't carry Minolta, Pentax, or Olympus, partly because their reps couldn't be bothered to give him any service, and partly because they wouldn't adjust their pricing to allow him to compete with the mail order houses; when he tried to orderthings for me he would have to get them from another, larger store with which he had some kind of arrangement, or else I had to order by mail, as I do now.

Marketing is everything when you are trying to sell something - it can be more important than product quality.Some years ago a camera repairman told me the only thing that kept him in business was repairing Nikons for the pros - he had nothing good to say about their build quality at all.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:24 AM   #5

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Pentax just ran a full page ad featuring their DSLRs in Popular Photography, lamenting that they have been so poor atmarketing in the past and promising to do better in the future. Doesn't sound like they are planning to go away any time soon. Maybe Hoya will be better at marketingPentaxes than Pentax has been.
I might for the first time in a DECADE or two have to pick up a copy just to see that...

But the whole Hoya thing I can't see ANY reason (no matter how hostle) it would be to Hoya's benifit (after great expense) to just bury Pentax....

Hopefully they are going to RUN with it..... maybe knowing how much they have caught C&N just lacadasically napping on their laurals.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:42 AM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
penolta wrote:
Quote:
I might for the first time in a DECADE or two have to pick up a copy just to see that...

But the whole Hoya thing I can't see ANY reason (no matter how hostle) it would be to Hoya's benifit (after great expense) to just bury Pentax....

Hopefully they are going to RUN with it..... maybe knowing how much they have caught C&N just lacadasically napping on their laurals.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hayward,

lackadaisically

laurels

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:46 AM   #7

OH GEEZ pardon my phonetic spellings....(no spell check here)

and Laurel's prefectly acceptabale for plants maybe not resting ones self serving phylosophy

You really didn't get it?.... or just been licking GW's butt too long? (not that he'd actually know how to spell anything... though unlike Quail maybe even he is not STUPID enough to be a officiator of a spelling bee as Quali was.... POTTATOE.)

BTW really BAD format quoting there.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:57 AM   #8

hayward

HERE
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:59 AM   #9

Who the heck in their right minds use INTERNET EXPLODER?????... unless they MUST and a site that ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES and trust (STILL WON'T DO THE dot net REGISTRATION) it and they feel safe on??? (Virus INVITATION) Mozzila/Firefox forever.... not to mention now Safarri (amoungst the others)

And why not just part of the editor? (Not Steve's fault but as mature as the software is should be nor it crapping out the way it has been of late.... again likely no one here's fault just M$ like toO early released BS.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:19 AM   #10

hayward

HERE
robar is offline   Reply With Quote