Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1

a few minutes ago ...

Also a very useful lesson learnt. Use a shorter focal length and get a better DoF.

This was with the Sigma 70-300 at 300mm
Attached Images

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2007, 3:05 PM   #2

Cool picture - though could you please send us some of that rain? It looks like you folks are hogging it all!

While going to a wider angle lens so that you have a bigger DOF is a good idea, I'm not sure it would be as effective with this particular shot. I'd be tempted to raise the ISO so that you canhave a smaller aperture using the same shutter speed (and a greater DOF while not changing the field of view). But your point that the DOF depends on the focal length of the lens is a very good lesson to learn
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:42 PM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Cool picture - though could you please send us some of that rain? It looks like you folks are hogging it all!

While going to a wider angle lens so that you have a bigger DOF is a good idea, I'm not sure it would be as effective with this particular shot. I'd be tempted to raise the ISO so that you canhave a smaller aperture using the same shutter speed (and a greater DOF while not changing the field of view). But your point that the DOF depends on the focal length of the lens is a very good lesson to learn
Not a problem, I'll pop some in an envelope and post it to you.

Having made that post I did reconsider my idea about a shorter focal length. By using the longer lens I think it gave me a better photo as I was closer to the action.
As for ISO, I was using 800 and the shot itself was at 1/400s f6.3 so not a lot of leeway really.

However, thank goodness for 3 fps. I just pointed the camera through the open window at the ground, aimed, focussed, and clickclickclickclickclicketc. Then it was just a case of finding a shot that:
  • Had some sploshes; and[/*]
  • Had some sploshes that were vauguely within the DoF[/*]
Still as I'm off to Scotland in a couple of days, today was good practice for taking photos of rain.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote