Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1

OK these may not be the best photos in this forum. but I AM soo happy i never though i would be taking shot like these EVER. we went camping this past weekend i i just had fun playing with my camera. i normally shoot in P mode but this time i played with all the buttons. some had to have PP to save them but overall they all turned out OK.

i could not pick the ones i liked best.
Attached Images

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

my nephew
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:45 AM   #3

just a bridge
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:46 AM   #4

my dd
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:47 AM   #5

the old girl
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:49 AM   #6

adding this one because i do not know how to take my otherdog's photo to make her eyes show is this the best that can be done????
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2007, 8:03 AM   #7

Looks like you had a great time camping! Love the bridge pictures, your nephew doesn't look like he wanted to be a photo subject, and the first one speaks of having fun!

There are a couple of ways to approach your last one with post processing. As far as taking the picture - the picture is nicely exposed now, by trying to expose for the black on the dog would have over-exposed it. What software are you using? If it were me, I would probably try selecting just the black patch where his eye is, making a new layer (I use CS2) and then adjusting levels onjust that layer to lighten it up some. Or try using curves adjustmenton the whole picture, raising the dark part of the curve. There are other approaches you could use in Lightroom and other programs, it's always (for me at least) trial and error and an exploration process. If one thing doesn't work, try something else.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:19 PM   #8

Are we to vote?

Just a bridge, then upside down girl

AK
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:22 PM   #9

Are we to vote?

Just a bridge, then upside down girl

AK
AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 1:27 PM   #10

My dogs have black faces, too,and I havebeen able to avoidthat problem, but then they do not have extensive contrastingareas of pure white, either.

As you have seen, itwould hard to maintain detail in the white areas and still get enough light on the black ones. If you want to avoid a lot of post-processing, you mightexperiment withusing your built-in flash forfill flash (outdoors, as long as the dog isn't looking directly into the camera) or bounce flash (indoors). Off-camera flash could work any time, but only with a diffuser or on a low setting to avoid overexposing the light areas, but you still might lose some detail there. Onesuggestion Irecently readadvocated turning the flash around and bouncing it off your white shirt!

Professional dog photographers nearly always use direct flash when photographing winners in the show ring, but they are never too close to the subject because they include the handler and judgein the shot as well (they are probably still using film, too, which is said to have greater latitude than digital). I don't know how much burning and dodging they havetodo in the darkroom, but they charge like it is a lot.

You also need to consider the lighting conditions underwhich the picture is to betaken (your second one looks like it is backlit) - some are just not conducive to good photography. Depending on how your camera meters, you might also experiment with spot, averaging, and center-weighted metering, whichmightprovide different exposures under different conditions.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote