Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:44 PM   #1

B&W vs Color / Steam Engines

I had a couple of requests asking me about converting some of my Steam Engine photos to B&W

vs

vs

vs

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:08 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Roger,

I am not a big fan of B&W, but must admit that I like the B&W versions--they convey a sense of the past much better than the color images! Very nicely done!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

I am not a big fan of B&W, but must admit that I like the B&W versions--they convey a sense of the past much better than the color images! Very nicely done!

Jay
Thanks Jay for commenting and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4

Rodger

I have To agree with Jay. The BW does make look More like they are from the past

Great shots either way

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:11 PM   #5

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Rodger

I have To agree with Jay. The BW does make look More like they are from the past

Great shots either way

Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for commenting and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:31 AM   #6

Definitely the black and white for the first two - you did a wonderful job converting them. I don't think there's as much impact with the b&w on the last one, I like them both equally.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:54 AM   #7

Well just the era they are from..... even when they faded away post WWII color film was rather unusual......

B&W IMHO suites them better maybe even a little sepia or otherwise tinted.

And there is a (only ) serdies I watch on RFDTV..... Trains and Locomotives..... as far as steam goes.... the B&W is usually more interesting.... as the color is usually more contemporary resoration tourist escusrsion BS..... and looks that way.

PS for ANYONE into trains.... and you have access to RFDTV this is a show you should catch (runs several time a week) Raising cows I could care less about... and I suppose the oly reason the train thing is there that at that time.... livestock so dependened on that historically as trasnportation.

Heck I watch SINGLE shows on a lot of other channels I might never what to admit I watch too.

One of the GREAT things DVR's and week in advance program guides allow you to do.

Alweays ammusses.... those who say there is NOTHING to see on TV and I can barely keep up... even skipping commercials..... yet but for a few shows a week virtually NEVER watch the broadcast networks. (ABC. CBS, NBC. FOX)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:23 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Definitely the black and white for the first two - you did a wonderful job converting them. I don't think there's as much impact with the b&w on the last one, I like them both equally.
Thanks mtngal, it is looking like the B&W are the favorites so I will print a couple for my gallery. Thanks for the nice comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:34 PM   #9

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well just the era they are from..... even when they faded away post WWII color film was rather unusual......

B&W IMHO suites them better maybe even a little sepia or otherwise tinted.

And there is a (only ) serdies I watch on RFDTV..... Trains and Locomotives..... as far as steam goes.... the B&W is usually more interesting.... as the color is usually more contemporary resoration tourist escusrsion BS..... and looks that way.

PS for ANYONE into trains.... and you have access to RFDTV this is a show you should catch (runs several time a week) Raising cows I could care less about... and I suppose the oly reason the train thing is there that at that time.... livestock so dependened on that historically as trasnportation.

Heck I watch SINGLE shows on a lot of other channels I might never what to admit I watch too.

One of the GREAT things DVR's and week in advance program guides allow you to do.

Alweays ammusses.... those who say there is NOTHING to see on TV and I can barely keep up... even skipping commercials..... yet but for a few shows a week virtually NEVER watch the broadcast networks. (ABC. CBS, NBC. FOX)
Another Black & White vote. I just can't decide one day I pick color the next I pick B&W. Thanks for looking and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:11 PM   #10

for me
i am not keen on either version of the first one, the train doesnt seem to stand out enough
in the second i prefer the colour version the b/w again doesnt stand out enough
in the third i prefer the b/w it is a really big bold train and i like all the shapes and shadows

just to confuse things more lol

oddly enough people use to hand colour b/w photos
now we have colour and we turn them to b/w

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote