Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

B&W vs Color / Steam Engines

I had a couple of requests asking me about converting some of my Steam Engine photos to B&W



vs





vs





vs




TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,327
Default

Roger,

I am not a big fan of B&W, but must admit that I like the B&W versions--they convey a sense of the past much better than the color images! Very nicely done!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

I am not a big fan of B&W, but must admit that I like the B&W versions--they convey a sense of the past much better than the color images! Very nicely done!

Jay
Thanks Jay for commenting and for taking the time to look.


TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Black Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oxford, CT
Posts: 1,309
Default

Rodger

I have To agree with Jay. The BW does make look More like they are from the past

Great shots either way

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Rodger

I have To agree with Jay. The BW does make look More like they are from the past

Great shots either way

Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for commenting and for taking the time to look.


TOTALLY WACKY roger


WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Definitely the black and white for the first two - you did a wonderful job converting them. I don't think there's as much impact with the b&w on the last one, I like them both equally.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 1:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,318
Default

Well just the era they are from..... even when they faded away post WWII color film was rather unusual......


B&W IMHO suites them better maybe even a little sepia or otherwise tinted.

And there is a (only ) serdies I watch on RFDTV..... Trains and Locomotives..... as far as steam goes.... the B&W is usually more interesting.... as the color is usually more contemporary resoration tourist escusrsion BS..... and looks that way.

PS for ANYONE into trains.... and you have access to RFDTV this is a show you should catch (runs several time a week) Raising cows I could care less about... and I suppose the oly reason the train thing is there that at that time.... livestock so dependened on that historically as trasnportation.

Heck I watch SINGLE shows on a lot of other channels I might never what to admit I watch too.

One of the GREAT things DVR's and week in advance program guides allow you to do.

Alweays ammusses.... those who say there is NOTHING to see on TV and I can barely keep up... even skipping commercials..... yet but for a few shows a week virtually NEVER watch the broadcast networks. (ABC. CBS, NBC. FOX)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Definitely the black and white for the first two - you did a wonderful job converting them. I don't think there's as much impact with the b&w on the last one, I like them both equally.
Thanks mtngal, it is looking like the B&W are the favorites so I will print a couple for my gallery. Thanks for the nice comment and for looking.


TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well just the era they are from..... even when they faded away post WWII color film was rather unusual......


B&W IMHO suites them better maybe even a little sepia or otherwise tinted.

And there is a (only ) serdies I watch on RFDTV..... Trains and Locomotives..... as far as steam goes.... the B&W is usually more interesting.... as the color is usually more contemporary resoration tourist escusrsion BS..... and looks that way.

PS for ANYONE into trains.... and you have access to RFDTV this is a show you should catch (runs several time a week) Raising cows I could care less about... and I suppose the oly reason the train thing is there that at that time.... livestock so dependened on that historically as trasnportation.

Heck I watch SINGLE shows on a lot of other channels I might never what to admit I watch too.

One of the GREAT things DVR's and week in advance program guides allow you to do.

Alweays ammusses.... those who say there is NOTHING to see on TV and I can barely keep up... even skipping commercials..... yet but for a few shows a week virtually NEVER watch the broadcast networks. (ABC. CBS, NBC. FOX)
Another Black & White vote. I just can't decide one day I pick color the next I pick B&W. Thanks for looking and commenting.


TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Gumnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,259
Default

for me
i am not keen on either version of the first one, the train doesnt seem to stand out enough
in the second i prefer the colour version the b/w again doesnt stand out enough
in the third i prefer the b/w it is a really big bold train and i like all the shapes and shadows

just to confuse things more lol

oddly enough people use to hand colour b/w photos
now we have colour and we turn them to b/w

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:21 PM.