Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:14 PM   #11

the water being vertical is important (it could go a tad more clockwise i think)
i personally prefer perspective in buildings
it looks more "natural"
corrected ones can look top heavy

this is an excellent photo
nice composition

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:59 AM   #12

Gumnut,

I tried it rotated 0.5 degree more & I think you're right - it does look better. And I agree with you about the water too - I hadn't even noticed it!

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:31 AM   #13

While on this subject, I would like to have the forum view as well
Here is an obviously fishy pict

And here is an almost completely defished version

To defish a pict is just one click away. But would that be more appealing?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 5:22 AM   #14

I have looked at the two for quite a while, and I can understand why you are uncertain of which one is the best. After giving it quite some consideration this is my temporary opinion:

The defished one is a tad "overdefished", the left column bends a little (very little) outwards. Besides from that I think I prefer the defished version. Next time you go to France, could you try the shot again going one step closer to the statue to emphasize the wide angel? If so I think the fishy version would have worked even better. But it is a tough race anyway.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:57 AM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I have looked at the two for quite a while, and I can understand why you are uncertain of which one is the best. After giving it quite some consideration this is my temporary opinion:

The defished one is a tad "overdefished", the left column bends a little (very little) outwards. Besides from that I think I prefer the defished version. Next time you go to France, could you try the shot again going one step closer to the statue to emphasize the wide angel? If so I think the fishy version would have worked even better. But it is a tough race anyway.

Kjell
I have defished less this time (80 pov) and see if it is better. But it will be tough.
Also you may notice that defishing means cropping out part of the periphery of the pict as well. That may affect the framing - I did little anyway as I was shooting like crazy there.
I did this after looking some sample shots of DA14mm - a rectilinear lens rather than a fisheye. Distortion in both in a different way no matter what.

Daniel
Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:08 PM   #16

This is a Canon 10mm rect lens. Yeah. Sure. There are straight lines. Personally I would rather have slight spherical distortion. Any input?

Daniel
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:21 PM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Daniel, I agree that the distortion looks appropriate for this type of picture...except that in thisspecific case itmakes the person in the image look distorted as well...a little bit disconcerting to my eye. If there was no person in it, the elongated perpective sure adds a sense of greatness to the image.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:46 PM   #18

Harriet, I like the original, the fixed version looks kind of distorted for some reason, possibly the water.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:21 PM   #19

Thanks for everyone's input - the more I look at the two the more I like the original better - by not straightening the lines it makes the building look more majestic to me, I think. By the way, the building is another one of the 1920's buildings and the one where I found the stained glass windows. This just re-enforces my opinion that every picture needs to be evaluated on it's own, and there's always the exception to the rule.

Daniel - I didn't answer when you first posted your defishing examples. Here's another one where I think it depends. In the past I always disliked the bowed lines, but so often you've posted really outstanding pictures with the distortion left in, so I'm really on the fence about how much de-fishing to do. That's also the reason why I keep hesitating about buying a lens that is wider than the kit lens. Would I be happy with the 10-17, which is really capable but has quite a bit distortion or not? I still haven't decided.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:04 AM   #20

I was requested to shoot this for a friend who have recorded music for a CD in this church - he wanted a picture for the cover.

There was too little space for my 28 mm shift lens, had to use the 16-45.

Here aretwo verisons ofoneshot. First one without correction, second corrected in PS2. What do you think?

Kjell

First:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote