Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Headed down to the banks of the Ohio River last Saturday morning at about 7:30 AM and captured the following images of the Cincinnati skyline (from across the river in Covington, KY). I thought the early morning sun (from the right side of the pictures) provided some good lighting. The images are fundamentally the same scene--just framed differently. Tri-pod mountedDL+ Kit Lens; used the mirror lock up feature to avoid camera shake.

Jay

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:28 AM   #2

Very nice pictures, Jay! You're right about the light, you went out thereat the right moment. As for framing I prefer the first two – different but equally good. In the third the branch is more a disturbance than a frame IMHO.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 3:31 PM   #3

These really are superb shots. Great light and crystal clear.

Whilst I agree with Kjell that the branch is a distraction, at the same time it also works for me, as I can see myself there, just reaching out to move the branch out of the way.

Serious impact with these shots!

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:51 PM   #4

Kjell and Darren: Thanks for your comments. I was fortunate to encounter a clear day and such opportune lighting conditions. My next assignment is to shoot the same scene at dusk/night.

Jay
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:08 PM   #5

Hi Jay
I think all three shots are excellent. As to the debate over the third shot. While I understand what Kjell is saying. I agree with Darren. I like the branch.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:47 PM   #6

Beautifully taken, great composition.
You should sell them to the Cincinnati Tourism .
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 5:00 PM   #7

Perfect time to be out taking pictures, and you made the most of it with these pictures. I prefer the first one (for probably a stupid reason - I like the street light in the foreground - gives more emphasis to the early morning light to me). The second one is very nice also, but the time isn't as obvious to me. The branch in the third one is distracting to me, too, though I thought that other's feeling that it adds an "I'm there, it's real" feel to the picture is an interesting viewpoint. Maybe I won't so quickly discard a photo that is similar next time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:02 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Perfect time to be out taking pictures, and you made the most of it with these pictures. I prefer the first one (for probably a stupid reason - I like the street light in the foreground - gives more emphasis to the early morning light to me). The second one is very nice also, but the time isn't as obvious to me. The branch in the third one is distracting to me, too, though I thought that other's feeling that it adds an "I'm there, it's real" feel to the picture is an interesting viewpoint. Maybe I won't so quickly discard a photo that is similar next time.
I must admit that among the 3, no. 1 is my favorite as well...and the reason is the street light (may be we can feel "stupid" together :lol.I like the sense of distance (across the Ohio River) that it conveys. I was almost going to discard no. 3, but I liked Darren's comment that it feels like one can reach out and move it out of the way!

Thanks all for you insightful comments!

Jay