Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:38 PM   #1

Me a Bee & a mad Osprey

I sure did get yelled at while out at OspreyLand. I was tucked up in a bush waiting for Pa Osprey to show up, Ma was resting about 30 yards away. I figured he would be showing up pretty quick since I heard babies. Just about the time he landed a bee landed on my arm and startled me, my reaction was to turn and swat him off my arm. I must of startle Pa Osprey cuz he turned his head and started screaming at me. I apologized and backed off.

You can see the limb he landed on with a close up.

Your to close MOVE!!!

Ma, not to worry I told him to leave

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:20 PM   #2

Looking at that beak, I'd listen too.
Wonderful sharp shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:08 AM   #3

Well I'll ask you another question.... like you have never answered about the white pelicans up there.....

Do you ever see small (here) black birds ) w/ white under wing marked) hassling the Ospreys??? they do here.... and surprisingly tolerated..... understandably some times post catch dining.... but even in hunt mode.... and why the Ospreys never turn on them a foot away Yeas tagging along that close) as the EASIER catch vs fish I have never figured out.

While other eagle family birds do.... maybe Ospreys just never eat other (even annoying other) birds and only fish?
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:39 AM   #4

nice shots roger. wish i had the wildlife you have around here.. post above,,,only the shadow knows..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well I'll ask you another question.... like you have never answered about the white pelicans up there.....

Do you ever see small (here) black birds ) w/ white under wing marked) hassling the Ospreys??? they do here.... and surprisingly tolerated..... understandably some times post catch dining.... but even in hunt mode.... and why the Ospreys never turn on them a foot away Yeas tagging along that close) as the EASIER catch vs fish I have never figured out.

While other eagle family birds do.... maybe Ospreys just never eat other (even annoying other) birds and only fish?
Hayward I did answer you here is a copy. I will anser yur new post in another post.

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
High Country Pelicans

Lake El Vado is around 8,000 feet in altitude and Pelicans show up every year for the summer.
TOTALLY WACKY roger
THIS IS THE SECOND TIME YOU HAVE INTRIGUED ME WITH THIS.

Do you have any idea what that species migratory range is???? I 'd thing they freeze their tail feathers off there in the winter... especially at that altitude.

The only one we see on the east coast are the Brown Pelicans.... but I know the do get as far north as Virginia and Sothern NJ in the summer, and rather absent here until mid fall. And coatal too not sure I've ever heard of browns being in inland fresh water. (Actually for that matter you even know what they are called? So I can easily look them up

Browns are less socialbe too, while you might see a bunch of them in one spot, not in a tight group like that, and if feeding time quite competitive Though pairs and three/foursomes are fairly common.

Also any birds there hassle them? I have actually seen seagulls here that will sit on their backs trying to get them to drop a fish or get a scrap.
I have no guess on their range but they are only here in the summer. I haven't seen any birds bothering them at all. ONe thing I do know is they are skittish.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
High Country Pelicans

Lake El Vado is around 8,000 feet in altitude and Pelicans show up every year for the summer.
TOTALLY WACKY roger

Do you have any idea what that species migratory range is???? I 'd thing they freeze their tail feathers off there in the winter... especially at that altitude.

The only one we see on the east coast are the Brown Pelicans.... but I know the do get as far north as Virginia and Sothern NJ in the summer, and rather absent here until mid fall. And coatal too not sure I've ever heard of browns being in inland fresh water. (Actually for that matter you even know what they are called? So I can easily look them up

Browns are less socialbe too, while you might see a bunch of them in one spot, not in a tight group like that, and if feeding time quite competitive Though pairs and three/foursomes are fairly common.

Also any birds there hassle them? I have actually seen seagulls here that will sit on their backs trying to get them to drop a fish or get a scrap.
I have no guess on their range but they are only here in the summer. I haven't seen any birds bothering them at all. ONe thing I do know is they are skittish.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:53 AM   #6

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Looking at that beak, I'd listen too.
Wonderful sharp shots.
Rodney thanks for the kind comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:55 AM   #7

Hayward wrote:
Quote:

Around here about the only thing I see bothering the Osprey are crows. Another thing I have notice is if another Osprey flies to close to a nest belonging to another pair they go after him.

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
High Country Pelicans

TOTALLY WACKY roger

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:17 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
nice shots roger. wish i had the wildlife you have around here.. post above,,,only the shadow knows..

roy
Roy if you get the opportunity come on down and we can go out and try and fill a few memory cards.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:13 PM   #9

Sometimes the hawks here in Missouri have the same prioblem as your Osprey. This is a red shouldered hawk.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:05 PM   #10

jhacker wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes the hawks here in Missouri have the same prioblem as your Osprey. This is a red shouldered hawk.
I have heard of that many times but I have only seen crows peter the Osprey around here.

TOTALLY WACKY roger