Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:09 PM   #11

Mine have a sensor and they AF with my FA* lenses!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:27 PM   #12

Which sensor are you talking about? The dumbo slave or the auto flash one?
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:53 PM   #13

the IR one on the front of the flash.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:06 AM   #14

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Which sensor are you talking about? The dumbo slave or the auto flash one?
I'm talking about the exposure sensor on the flash that allows the flash to cut off when the appropriate amount of light is received, as in "Auto Thyristor" flash. The AF500 FTZ does not have this capability -- one of the few missing features from this great flash, IMO.

It does have an IR sensor so it can act as an optic slave, it does communicate with the camera as to lens FL and automatically "zooms" for different FLs, it will do multiple flashes per exposure, and other things, but it can't be used as a non-dedicated Auto type flash where you preset ISO and aperture and the flash will control the exposure within a set range of distances.

. . . sorry if I wasn't clear about that. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:15 AM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
snostorm wrote:
Quote:
One more downside -- no Auto mode. It doesn't have a sensor on the gun. I thought it strange because the AF280FTZ does and the 500 was the top of the line. . .

Scott
that's odd as my 400 has a sensor.
Hi Roy,

It is odd, but it's the case. When I got it, I went over the manual a number of times, thinking that I must have missed something, but the feature is missing from this model.

Scott
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:44 PM   #16

Okay... so which would you prefer... the AF500FTZ or Sigma EF500 ST?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:38 PM   #17

Quote:
It does have an IR sensor so it can act as an optic slave, it does communicate with the camera as to lens FL and automatically "zooms" for different FLs, it will do multiple flashes per exposure, and other things, but it can't be used as a non-dedicated Auto type flash where you preset ISO and aperture and the flash will control the exposure within a set range of distances.

. . . sorry if I wasn't clear about that. . .

Scott
Scott, I guess I am still not clear about what you are saying either, since I used the AF500 for years with my PZ-1P doing weddings and every exposure was dead on no matter what the lighting. It even has a IR light to help exposure in the dark, which always worked perfectly also.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:13 PM   #18

Hi Tom,

The PZ-1P was TTL compatible, which matched dedication with the 500 FTZ. I was talking about non-dedicated Auto flash exposure, where the flash doesn't communicate with the camera. Instead, you set the aperture and ISO on the camera, then match the settings on the flash and the flash's sensor controls the exposure by cutting off the flash (Edit: Like the auto mode for a Sunpak 383). For some reason, they left this capability off the 500 FTZ, but included it on the 540FGZ. On the other hand, the 500 has strobe with auto Ev correction and the 540 doesn't do strobe -- I gues it was too '80's:-)

These flash terms are really confusing. . . still takes me forever to figure out what a flash will or will not do.

Scott
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:26 PM   #19

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy,

It is odd, but it's the case. When I got it, I went over the manual a number of times, thinking that I must have missed something, but the feature is missing from this model.

Scott
actually, i've never tried the 400 in manual. just checked a few shots here in the study at close range with it set on manual, hi and low, and it's close but can still be a couple of EVs off. i need to look for the manual. i've just always used the 400 in TTL and it's dead on with 90% of shots.

nick, to get back to the question, how good of a deal?? have you checked ebay to see what a 500 would go for? the sync cord and fittings is what you want. i've used some off brand TTL flashes with no problem.

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:32 PM   #20

So what do we have to do If we want a Flash that works properly? Wait till Pentax makes a flash that works with the K100 and K10 that will swivel like the Sigma EF500 super.
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote