Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:16 AM   #1

As the great old jazz tune goes...is there is or is there ain't...PEF capability on the GX10? You'd think the spec sheet on the Samsung web site that says there is would be correct, but I've seen in a number of places (reviews and forums) where it indicates that it only does DNG. So I'm asking people who actually own this unit to check for me.

Thanks,
Steve
superbaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:19 AM   #2

i don't know about pef but dng is a raw format.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:27 AM   #3

Nevermind, I found the manual and learned that despite the raw converter they send with the unit recognizing PEF, the camera doesn't shoot in PEF.
superbaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

does samsung use another format for raw or is dng the only format available?? i wouldn't worry about it. dng is just fine.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:40 AM   #5

superbaguy wrote:
Quote:
Nevermind, I found the manual and learned that despite the raw converter they send with the unit recognizing PEF, the camera doesn't shoot in PEF.
Another 10X - K10D diff to tack on my wall.... interesting the things left out between the two.... though essentially the same. Then again PEF is proprietary to Pentax... so maybe they figured their name not on it....maybe Samsung might do a SEF eventually?

Though Samsung branded likely that is the same software... though in the renaming sort of surprising they didn't disable that, make it invisible.

BTW is the 10x weatherproof rated like the 10D? I ask only because not really heard mention one way of the other and the buttons though same functions are quite different seemingly harder to seal shape, etc.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:52 PM   #6

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
BTW is the 10x weatherproof rated like the 10D?
It is supposed to be. But I'm not too keen on testing that theory. On the Samsung site they state:

Sealed build for greater freedom
GX-10's body is specially crafted to resist the influx of water or dust.
A secure silicone seal has been implemented at 72 different points, including the shutter and other important buttons, to ensure that nothing harmful enters the camera.

Just wish they could find a way of resisting the influx of dust when changing lenses. Twice this week I have been out for a day's shooting in Scotland only to find that I'd managed to get dust, or something, on the CCD! Luckily I have been shooting RAW + jpg so hopefully I can do something about the dust with the RAW pics.

Keith

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote