Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:13 PM   #1

hi all,
This was taken from dc resource review of the k10d--

"once you've found that sweet spot, the K10D's photo quality ranks up there with the best of them. Noise levels are quite low on the camera, with even ISO 1600 being usable."

what is everyones opinion on what is optimal.
so far it seems that I like vivid color, and sharpness up 2, but I am new and learning the camera.
would anyone say they have preferences for different types of shots ex: landscape, night portrait ect.

thanks
bob
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:09 PM   #2

It seems like everyone wants the best out of there camera and they asked for the golden setting to get the best picture. In reality, there is no such thing as a perfect setting because every shot is different and can change greatly depending on the type of shot.

If I shoot in jpeg, I just leave it at defualt zero with all of them. But if you shoot in RAW, you can change all of those settings AFTER you taken the picture to get the most out of it. Yes it does take more work but well worth it.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:39 PM   #3

hmmm... I don't think there is a golden setting as diferent situation require different settings. I had purchased the k100d first, then returned it for the k10d and one of the things I miss is all the pre programed settings for stuff like night shooting, landscape, portriats ect. Now suposed you had an idea of where to start, and then you could adjust from there..not a bad idea. Maybe even a list of some kind. To bad Pentax dosen't provide one with the settings from the k100d. ;-)
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:00 PM   #4

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
hmmm... I don't think there is a golden setting as diferent situation require different settings. I had purchased the k100d first, then returned it for the k10d and one of the things I miss is all the pre programed settings for stuff like night shooting, landscape, portriats ect. Now suposed you had an idea of where to start, and then you could adjust from there..not a bad idea. Maybe even a list of some kind. To bad Pentax dosen't provide one with the settings from the k100d. ;-)
If you understand a little about photography you will know that those pre-set programs means nothing and its not something that you can't do yourself. Also those pre-program setting does not change the value of the sharpness, contrast, or vividness of the picture. The different settings has to do with the different ISO, shutter and aperture.

Here is what the camera will do when you set it to one of those pre-set mode.

Night mode/Low light/Candle Light
In this mode, you let the camera know that the light is low so it will need to open up the aperture all the way and make the shutter longer. Also it might need to raise the ISO.

Sports/fast action
Since a fast action will be involved, the camera will raise the shutter speed to capture a "freeze" frame.

Landscape
Since typically in landscape you want a wide dept of field, the camera will shoot at a high aperture.

Portriats
Typically wide open aperture so you can focus on the person and blur the background.

If you want to learn about all of these stuff and don't mind reading a little, just pick up ANY book on photography and learn these basics. It does not have to be digital, it can be on film. After you learn them, I bet you will only use 3 settings on the knob. Once you understand the basics, (aperture, shutter and ISO) you will be able to do just about anything you want.

I am not saying that I am an expert, I am still learning as I go. I hope others on this board can give more inputs on this subject.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:52 PM   #5

I guess it all depends on what your experience is. My (then) boyfriend gave me a Pentax ME back in 1980 - still don't quite know why he did that as I was rather happily snapping away with an Instamatic. Since he gave a semi-automatic camera (aperture priority) I figured I should learn how to use it and bought a book or two about photography, read them and was blown away at how much better my shots suddenly were. The camera was a simple one, no fancy settings. So I never used the preset "modes" on either the K100 or DS, and don't miss them on the K10.

As far as settings go, I pretty much shoot raw all the time so leave the settings alone (don't really make a difference when shooting raw). I do keep an eye on the white balance and exposure, sometimes over-riding the camera if it doesn't do whatI want, and I choose the exposure mode for the picture - one of the controls that I LOVE having on a dial.

One of the best things to do is play with your lenses. There is no magical aperture that is right for every picture, or every lens for that matter, so knowing not only what aperture is right to get the effect you want, but how the particular lens responds at that aperture helps (my M50mm 1.4 lens is too soft for my tastes wide open, while the M50mm 1.7 is much sharper).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:59 PM   #6

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
"once you've found that sweet spot, the K10D's photo quality ranks up there with the best of them. Noise levels are quite low on the camera, with even ISO 1600 being usable."
There is also the MTF Program line of the P mode.... supposedly more exact on FA and DA lenses but on anything above a A lens will defaukt to a stop or so higher than wde open where most lenses are best, yet not small F compromised.

That and forward wheel EV/EC comp (first update addition... not out of box if still 1.0) , rear wheel Aperture makes for a very fast and precice powerful combination.... most cameras would have to dig into menues for. Rear defaults to best Aperture... but can instantly crank it down if you need the speed.... front where instant needs to say be a stop down/up also instant compensation. No menu buroughing time waasted.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:26 AM   #7

"If you understand a little about photography...... Also those pre-program setting does not change the value of the sharpness, contrast, or vividness of the picture. The different settings has to do with the different ISO, shutter and aperture."

Actually I do... but mostly from film years. Anyway when researching what camera to buy, I read a ton, and I positivly came across a statement in a review that said Landscape had sharper images and more vivid color, portrait had softer images ect...Only thing is might have been in reference to the XTI and not the K100d's modes. If so..MY BAD. But if you think about that it does make sense that it would be more than just A/S/DOF .

I wonder if this can be verified by anyone from Pentax or even Canon??

Thanks for the input though

bob

Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:30 AM   #8

"There is also the MTF Program line of the P mode.... supposedly more exact on FA and DA lenses but on anything above a A lens will defaukt to a stop or so higher than wde open where most lenses are best, yet not small F compromised.

That and forward wheel EV/EC comp (first update addition... not out of box if still 1.0) , rear wheel Aperture makes for a very fast and precice powerful combination.... most cameras would have to dig into menues for. Rear defaults to best Aperture... but can instantly crank it down if you need the speed.... front where instant needs to say be a stop down/up also instant compensation. No menu buroughing time waasted."

Thanks hayward.. Still have to do the firmwar update, but it sounds like it is worth it.

bob

Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:34 AM   #9

"I figured I should learn how to use it and bought a book or two "

The majic lantern book on the K10dshould be out soon and I will get it. HAve tons of general photo materials already...and even more photoshop stuff. (Not quite guru status, but have taught myself a whole lot. Friends keep asking me to edit photos for them ..and that gets old ,quick )

bob
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:41 AM   #10

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
"If you understand a little about photography...... Also those pre-program setting does not change the value of the sharpness, contrast, or vividness of the picture. The different settings has to do with the different ISO, shutter and aperture."

Actually I do... but mostly from film years. Anyway when researching what camera to buy, I read a ton, and I positivly came across a statement in a review that said Landscape had sharper images and more vivid color, portrait had softer images ect...Only thing is might have been in reference to the XTI and not the K100d's modes. If so..MY BAD. But if you think about that it does make sense that it would be more than just A/S/DOF .

I wonder if this can be verified by anyone from Pentax or even Canon??

Thanks for the input though

bob

This is from the canon XTI manuel.. Not the k10d or k100d but you get the idea..
Attached Images