Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1

So the new camera and lenses showed up tonight with very little time left to play. Along with the K100D I got the 'kit' 18-55 and the j75-300. I had had reservations about the J, even went so far as to nearly convince myself to just get the kit or the kit and a 50mm 1.4. After realizing the reach limitations of the kit lens, though, I'm glad I opted to get the long cheap-o to hold me until better primes come along to take it's place

I rushed through the main parts of the manual, intent on taking some test shots before nightfall, so missed a few things (re: most everything). Fortunately the basic operations were intuitive enough that in Av mode I was able to figure out how to dial my aperature and compensation. I almost cried when I went to make an EV compensation and it was in 1/2 stops. A lump formed in my throat and I thought I'd made a terrible, horrible mistake!

After the sun fell I did read the manual and figured out how to make 1/3 stop adjustments and I felt much better:roll:

My other relief was gaining control of the focus points. I was in auto and it was driving me crazy. The pics below, all with the 18-55, were shot at ISO 400, the auto focus settings (which have been changed) and multi-metering. I did use an unsharp mask on the garden and closeup of my son, but not the longer shot.

I toyed with the J inside with the built in flash and have to admit it's nowhere NEAR as soft over 200 as I'd expected it'd be. A pleasant surprise. Yes, the wife is still fuming mad at me, but once we get some nice 8x10s hanging on the walls from the epson photo-printer she gave me for x-mas she'll understand.

Time to get my photography legs back. More likely than not I'll be using spot metering again by the end of the week convinced that I can decide the best exposure for a scene better than any old computer system :|

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:14 PM   #2

Grab the 50. It's the best lens ever made for the money.

The reason I'm hating myself for trying the 4xmm limiteds is that I'm so happy with the 50, i don't thing they'd be any better! (And the 40 definitely wasn't!)

And those pics are pretty good for the kit lens given the lighting. That time of day infuriates me because everything looks so flat. You did good, and the k100d is an excellent camera.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:33 PM   #3

Don't worry Gazander, you'll love the FA 43 Limited you've got coming. Since I received mine a couple months ago I have yet to use my FA 50 again.

CyberCoyote, I was pleasantly suprised with my FA J 75-300 also. I picked up mine not expecting much, but as a budget telephoto zoom it has by far exceeded my expectations. My biggest complaint is that the AF is slow. Welcome to the forums. Can't wait to see more great photos from you.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4

Looks like you aren't going to have any trouble with that camera - nice pictures without even reading the manual! Just wait until you get it all figured out! Don't hesitate to ask questions, we love answering them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:37 AM   #5

I am looking forward to getting a fast 50mm, but it'll probably come from eBay rather than a brand new purchase.

Saturday morning, barring bad weather, I plan on hiking up the local 'mountain' (more of a steep and high hill/ridge, but it's named otherwise) which graciously turns small rainstorms into near floods on my street. Can't wait to set this rig on the tripod!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:07 AM   #6

Hi,

Nice shots!! you might want to look into the Pentax 28-70mm f4 and maybe the Sigma 28-200mm .

I prefer these to primes for my shots. besides if I want primes I can drag out my SLR/film To use them.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:49 AM   #7

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Nice shots!! you might want to look into the Pentax 28-70mm f4 and maybe the Sigma 28-200mm .

I prefer these to primes for my shots. besides if I want primes I can drag out my SLR/film To use them.

Rudy
I'll check into those. The reason I really wanted to get the 50 f1.4 was low light without flash (and the shallow DOF), but I'll try to get a first hand look at other options before spending more $$$ I don't actually have

Oh, word to the wise: I purchased through B&H using the 'pay later' method, 6 months no interest as long as the total is paid by the noted date. A co-worker who worked at 'Nobody beats the Wiz' back in the day had me print out the contract and found buried in there a statement that indicated that if you don't make the minimum monthly paymnets the company (not B&H they're outstanding!, the bank that does it) you'll still get charged the full financing fees in 6 months paid off or not. Just an FY! :O
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:13 PM   #8

"Time to get my photography legs back. More likely than not I'll be using spot metering again by the end of the week convinced that I can decide the best exposure for a scene better than any old computer system "

I know what you mean. I started like that with my DL2, then went to pic modes, then P, then back to AV etc. Turned out 9/10 the computer was right.

K10D only varies out of P occasionally. It knows more than me! And it knows it!!!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:46 AM   #9

congrats on the new camera
and in getting the shots you did in the time you had
i like that first one
the light looks great

i know i like to use my camera in manual
i just need to figure the best set up too
i was lucky i had a week off work to play with it

have fun

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote