Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:50 AM   #1
TDN

Hi,

I have a few dust specks on my focusing screen and I'd like to clean it.

it's only a few specks, so I think I could just blow them off with a rocketblower if I could get the screen out.

Now there's were my problem is, I can't get it out...

I don't have the special tweezers that are supplied with a focsing screen, but I do have a pair of normal tweezers, you know for getting splinters out etc.

I've pushed back the little metal latch in the middle of the top of the camera mount, but the screen won't drop down. I'm afraid to put any more pressure on it because I might break the latch, or the light seal tissue right in front of it.

The instruction on how to install one on the LX are a little too vague + the picture doesn't show which latch to push/pull...

any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:32 AM   #2

tom,
i just changed my DS back to the original matte screen. to disengage the frame i have to put a small amount of downward pressure on it at the top. there is a gap in the middle of the top of the frame where you can do this. sorry that i can't be more clear. once the retaining frame drops down you can remove the screen. i used a regular pair of tweezers to release the frame and retrieve the screen. this is the DS. from what i remember the DL has an internal brass frame that also drops out. don't force anything. hopefully some one else can help better than me.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:46 AM   #3

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have a few dust specks on my focusing screen and I'd like to clean it.

it's only a few specks, so I think I could just blow them off with a rocketblower if I could get the screen out.

Now there's were my problem is, I can't get it out...
Thanks.

Tom
Why BIG need to remove it?? Or just Rocket blow it off front down so hopefully doesn't get behind mirrror and on sensor. (Though the VF does seem stickier... more rigdges, etc and air doesn't always work.)

Actually have a fair amount on mine right now....and while sort of distracting I KNOW it is VF only so really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things... IN FACT thankfully it is there and NOT on the sensor.

Not that I mean I won't clean it... just not a prime issue to images in the mean time... after al its just on the VF screen not sensor. (where you SHARPLY SEE it... vs don't on sensor as fuzzy ghost until after the fact)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:59 AM   #4

Hi Tom,

Here is a cheap kit for removing the Viewfinder screen. http://cgi.ebay.com/Tool-Kit-for-att...QQcmdZViewItem

He also sells a focus screens (Split Focus) for our cameras made from Pentax screens (K1000).

Hope this might help you.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:00 AM   #5
TDN

@hayward: Because it's annoying the crap out of me.

@rudy: thanks, I'll look into that
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:06 AM   #6

Funny I just consentrate on the image when I know that is of no important FACTOR.... AT MOST A minor AND TOTALLY UNIMPORTANT annoyance. Dust on the SENSOR is the important thing.... and again better on the VF than there.... its sharp, maybe distracting but really unimportant.

And I do clean it GASP with just a little wet (just damp really) paper towel or toilet paper... does the job vs ROCKET blowing it onto the sensor maybe.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:28 AM   #7
TDN

I could go on about annoyances...but I figure you're an expert at those.

touching it with a lens cloth can scratch it, so I would guess toilet paper isn't a very bright idea, + it voids the warranty.

And I plan to take it out before blowing on it, youknow, for conveniance.

Tom

Roy: thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying. I read somewhere else too that it rarely works right away.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:33 AM   #8

pop off a PM to ira(monza). he's changed his numerous times...

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:25 PM   #9

Tom

Heres what I followed for my DL2

http://www.euronet.nl/~pimr/fsinstal.html

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Once I had done it once, it was easy. As Roy said, though, watch out for the brass spacer and ensure you put it back the right way round.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:17 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
pop off a PM to ira(monza). he's changed his numerous times...

roy
roy - i think ira is monza76
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote