Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:28 PM   #11

Hi Alex,

Just looking at the images you have provided as compared to the ones on Transend's web site, I think that you may have a fake SD card. I am not an expert, but here is my reasoning (and I may be wrong here), based on several observed items.
1. Label on the card - the label on the card is slightly different than the one shown on the Transend web site.
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/p...amp;indexnum=2
Note the yellow/orange background design on the lower part of the card's lable. It is different than the closeup here
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/I...ID=TS4GSDHC150
The placement of the "150x" is moved up slightly on your card

2. The model number on your package - On your package the model number reads "TS4GSD150" with the serial number underneath. On the above Transend web pages
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/p...amp;indexnum=2
the model number is listed as "TS4GSDHC150"

3. The packaging is different than yours
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/I...ID=TS4GSDHC150

4. The cardSize:32mmx24mmx2.1mm (LxWxH) is the same across each of their product lines, so I doubt that, even with the label, that they would get stuck in a camera body since they are all engineered to be interchangeable.

5. The card's serial number - The Transend website has a serial number checker at
http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/...mp;Func2No=125
Using your serial number - which checks out ok - only if you remove the "-", which may be important or not.
Now they could have changed their label, their packaging and their model number, along with their serial numbering format, or made some changes in the items sold out side of the US. I really do not know, but that 5 items that are different.:?

Here is their world wide contact information...
http://www.transcendusa.com/Contact/...amp;Func2No=82

I might also ask where you purchased the card - about the problem and the differences in the packaging and labeling of the item along with its inability to operate in the Pentax camera body.

Otherwise - you have a wonderful image of the flower! - I should be so fortunate to take pictures as well.

Hope that helps...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:44 PM   #12

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:

Also now I load a Kingston blue "Normal" speed which fits easily & can be withdraw from the slot exactly the same very easily, pressing once the back of the card & the card "Jump' slight out...making for my finger much easier to exit it.
I was about to ask that. Do you see any physical differences looking at the two cards side by side, especially thighness or width? Do they insert equally as easily?

Biggest I have tried so far are a few different kinds of 1 & 2GB's in my 10D
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:23 AM   #13

Hello my dear Buddies,

I just spoke with the photo store from which acquired the Pentax kit/Transcend card..just now I photographed two same brand cards the 128MB one I acquired two years ago...& take notice...that where the label is stick..the surround looks differently that my newer bigger capacity one...they accepted to return back the card & refund my money back to me...really, my dear Buddies...don't need such big capacity...the Kingston blue one 1GB satisfies my photographic need for the moment, speed download photos is NOT a issue so it's OK...more important for me is that enters & exists from the card slot as must be easy!!!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:35 AM   #14

Hi again!

Yes Hayward, I measure & exist an a very small differences...among both Transcend cards...the 128MB my two years old slower one is 100% exactly measuring the same thickness that my Kingsto.Panasonic/Canon ones that I also received when I acquired such P&S cameras 16MB ones...but 100% exactly all of them

This one as "Interest_Observer' wrote & check all the parameters for me also for me after all those measurements & photos I get a "Fake"...one...so I decided to return it back to the seller & get my money back to my bank account...also such big capacity...is NOT so imperative to own...today!:P

Here is the back of both cards...m all of you may see that on my "Older" one is write more information & not only the serial number...also seems me that the gold plated contacts are of better quality that my bigger capacity received:?

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:01 AM   #15

Alex, congratulations on your new K10. I see from the other thread that you're already making good use of it. Nice pics.

I had a similar problem with my K10 when I got it about six weeks ago. My Transcend card got stuck, and I withdrew it only with great difficulty. I was at first worried that I had improperly inserted it, so I did it again with the same result. I tried this two or three more times and was about to get on the phone with the seller when I noticed that it was beginning to push the card out properly. Two or three more times and it worked perfectly, spring ejecting the way it is supposed to.

Since then, I have acquired a Kingston 2 GB card, and I use them interchangeably, and I can detect no difference in their level of functionality.

Whether it's a "grey market" card I don't know, but I suspect an issue with the label. Although I can detect no creases in it that might indicate a problem in its initial application, it doesn't mean they are not there.

The bottom line for me is that the Transcend card now works well.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:14 AM   #16

Dear Trojansoc,

First of all thanks so heart fully for been looking my two photos...yes I'm extremely happy with the camera...I also own a KM 7D one fitted with a Tamron 18-250mm "Travel" zoom, but the Pentax wins a better/bigger viewfinder...mine came fitted with as I already learn original firmware 1.00, I will wait to my first son which is the administrator of my computer...to upgrade to the 1.20 last one. I'm NOT in so hurry for the moment! Hope that you noticed that my "Older" Transcend card 128MB the label is a little bit deeper...so can't occur what occur to me & you...hard to enter & exit the card. BTW...still waiting for the erudite response from Transcend USA service...maybe they can ex-change mine for another one...that will enter & exit the card slot easily!:?

Peace,

Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:24 PM   #17

Alex,

The 1.20 firmware has several very nice funtionality additions.....not just fixes.

Its really very easy to do the upgrade. I've done it twice now, as I had the original 1.11 upgrade first .
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:36 PM   #18

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Alex,

The 1.20 firmware has several very nice funtionality additions.....not just fixes.

Its really very easy to do the upgrade. I've done it twice now, as I had the original 1.11 upgrade first .
Why twice on the same camera? At least the way you wrote it up above I assume that is the case.

I have done firmware updates/fixes on my other Pentax cameras and it is easy to do but if you are not comfortable with it as some people are then it is hard no matter what you or I say.

BTW I only had to do it once.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:07 PM   #19

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Alex,

Why twice on the same camera? At least the way you wrote it up above I assume that is the case.

I have done firmware updates/fixes on my other Pentax cameras and it is easy to do but if you are not comfortable with it as some people are then it is hard no matter what you or I say.

BTW I only had to do it once.
Yes you are completely right! Needed to download the last one...& automatically will be updated all the firmwares within as example on mine 1.00 > 1.10 > 1.11 & the last one 1.20. Yes this very cute from Pentax!

Peace,

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:06 AM   #20

The appearance of the card is not an indication of counterfeiting. These cards are usually sourced from different ODMs. The color, texture and even label indentation can all vary wildly from one company to the next, and even within the same company and even the same model of card!

FWIW, I bought a 4GB SDHC class 6 card and it is slightly thicker than the old 1GB SD card. Not thick enough to jam in the slot through!

1GB is usually enough, but if you shoot raw, you run out of space quickly!
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote