Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:04 PM   #1

Got out to a little zoo today with the new K100D. It was the middle of the afternoon with super harsh light and most of the critters were hiding or under noon sun. this Snow Leopard was lounging in the shade WAY out of view, so I had to go to the longest reach of the J75-300. The image was less than stellar, but with some touching up turned into a keeper.

The original out of the camera

And the PS version

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:25 PM   #2

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Got out to a little zoo today with the new K100D. It was the middle of the afternoon with super harsh light and most of the critters were hiding or under noon sun. this Snow Leopard was lounging in the shade WAY out of view, so I had to go to the longest reach of the J75-300. The image was less than stellar, but with some touching up turned into a keeper.

The original out of the camera
While I was about to sell off that lens after making up my mind going all prime, I took pict of my M28mmF3.5 with this inexpenive zoom.
As I said this lens may be soft above 200mm, that does not apply when it is down to F8 and at close range where this lens excels big time.

It was a snap shot for my record before selling and absolutely no pp at all.

And I was crazy using a tele at 270 mm & f/11 for a close-up. That is my shooting style anyway.

Its close to macro ability (0.3 compared with some macro lens at 0.5), fast focus speed, its long range and short min focus distance is amusing. I would say amusingly cheap and sharp.

CyberCoyote
Try that out with some close up shots and you will know what I mean. Its official min Focus Distance is 4.3' (1.3m)
Magnification 1:3. I recall the min focus dist at 300mm was like 2m. Would you verify that.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:48 PM   #3

I'll try it out in better conditions. That shot was hand held in a rather large crowd wide open. Even if it were a tac-sharp lens it would have been blurred in those conditions. I was letting the camera set the white balance, too, but in post processing found that it really needed the blues backed off. The animal was very still, so a longer exposure at f/8 or so wopuld have been easy enough with a tripod.

The shot of the lens is actually very impressive. None can argue that the lens qualifies as cheap since a new one goes for $130 American, but with results like that the price seems the only thing cheap about it
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:30 AM   #4

One of the most wonderful creatures on this planet, thankyou so much for sharing.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5

CyberCoyote - did you take the snow leopard shot inraw or in jpeg?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:08 AM   #6

ishino wrote:
Quote:
CyberCoyote - did you take the snow leopard shot inraw or in jpeg?
In JPEG I'm afraid. I've yet to figure out how to use the Pentax Lab so I'm sticking to JPGs with the standard settings until I get an idea of what/how/why

Tonight I'm going to do test shots with the J with various aperatures and focal lengths mounted on the Bogen. I'll post results for others interested in the lens in the lens section.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7

that is a pretty goodjpeg then! i was hoping you said jpeg. to be honest i've never taken a picture with my k10d using the jpeg setting, i've just always used raw. i've always thought i'd get more saves shooting raw versus jpeg, but your example shows that there is some wiggle room in saving jpeg shots also.

thanks for sharing!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:36 PM   #8

ishino wrote:
Quote:
that is a pretty goodjpeg then! i was hoping you said jpeg. to be honest i've never taken a picture with my k10d using the jpeg setting, i've just always used raw. i've always thought i'd get more saves shooting raw versus jpeg, but your example shows that there is some wiggle room in saving jpeg shots also.

thanks for sharing!
Judicious unsharp masks and curve adjustments in red blue and green separately can do wonders for most anything. And as others have pointed out here, 'when in doubt, underexpose!'. You can usually pull more out of an underexposed image than you can out of a 'correct' exposure or an overexposed one.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:21 PM   #9

ishino wrote:
Quote:

thanks for sharing!
Ishino - Like you, I have been shooting RAW only since I had my DL2. But now I have the K10D, I shoot in RAW+ mode. Best of both worlds.

G/f uses the DL2 in Auto and JPG and often blows my shots away. Guess she has a better eye, plus she doesn't worry or get concerned about the technical details. Still we all know our better halves are smarter, otherwise they wouldn't have picked us - right?

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:23 PM   #10

a little more PS
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote