Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:34 PM   #1

I was on my usual Sunday morning walk, this time around my neighborhood. I got talking to a neighbor who said that he had been watching birds that he thought were Orioles recently. I snapped a couple of these birds, but am not sure whether they are really Orioles or not. My field guide has wing bands on all the Orioles that are supposed to be out west, and I don't think these do, plus it didn't mention the grey head on the one that would be most common for my area (I think). Is it something else? In any case, it was nice to see something besides blackbirds and jays.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Another view. The color on this one isa little too light - didn't do the best job of pp.
Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3

This isn't the best picture of a bird, but I thought it was funny anyway. It's either a raven or a crow - I can't tell the difference, and am not sure that the bird is visible enough to tell even for people who know what the differences are.
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:26 AM   #4

This looks an awful lot like the Western Kingbird in my field guide. The yellow belly and the black tail are certainly in line with that.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 6:28 AM   #5

I don't see a baseball bat or a glove or even a baseball hat and she really doesn't look like she's from Baltimore so I don't think it's an Oriole! :G

Sorry I had to... it's early in the morning and it made me laugh!!

But the yellow belly, I've seen some young ones with really dull yellow bellies, but hers is really bright yellow and she just doesn't quite fit the profile of an Oriole.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:49 PM   #6

There are two similar kingbirds in California - Western and Cassin's. The easiest way to tell them apart is by the white edges on the sides of the tail in the Western, which this one has.

As for crows vs. ravens, when in flight the Raven has a wedge-shaped tail, and the crow a square tipped one. The Raven is larger, but single birds can be misleading. Listen to the voice - crows clearly say "caw" and Ravens have a raspy croaking sound.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the identification! Glad to know that I wasn't crazy to question this as an Oriole - and it looks exactly like the picture in my guide of the Western Kingbird. Once again I was looking in the wrong part of the book so didn't see the picture. By the way, I did consider putting a subtitle with something about not having to do with baseball, but couldn't come up with anything catchy enough.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:10 PM   #8

Hi Harriet,

I'm glad you posted this because I had seen one of these awhile back and wasn't sure of my ID. They're not something I see a lot of around here.

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote