Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:13 AM   #1

I posted a similar thread in the Nikon Forum for comparison.

Currently I have a D50 with the kit lens, a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Tamron 18-200.
Recently I caught G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) badly and have been looking at online auction sites for a new camera body.
While looking I noticed some good deals on used D200's (without lense) and on new K10D's.

I want to upgrade in the next 2 months before a trip to Mt. Fuji (I live in Japan).

Please help me decide which camera to get.

I've used both in the store and loved both of them.

D200:
-loved the feel of it, as well as the speed and customizability.
--Was a little heavy for my taste, but maybe I will get used to it.
-I wouldn't have to sell my lenses to buy into a new system

K10D:
-Also loved the feel, though not quite as comfortable as the D200
-lighter weight
-also has environmental seals
--new system
--slightly slower AF speed.

I should also mention that I mainly shoot landscapes and have recently gotten into portraits as well. I realize I still have a lot to learn, but I want to upgrade to a camera that can grow with me as my skills improve.
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2

shaolin_k wrote:
Quote:
Please help me decide which camera to get.

D200:
-I wouldn't have to sell my lenses to buy into a new system
Personally I think you have already answered your own question. It is not my recommendation to decide on a camera system solely off the body selection, you really have to look at the system as whole. Once you pick a system and become heavily invested in it, that is what you stick with. With sites like eBay and KEH it does become easier to change systems by selling your old equipment but I still think it's a pain. Would you buy the same lenses if you switched to the K10D? If the answer is yes, then stick with your Nikon system. What lenses does Pentax offer in it's lens selection that Nikon does not? If you switched to Pentaxwhich lenses would you first want to add to your collection? For instance if I had a couple decent zoom lenses and decided I wanted to switch to all prime lenses that might get me looking into a different system.

The K10D is a great camera, so is the D200. The biggest feature that the camera has that improved myphotos has been the anti-shake feature. Other than that, my improvement in composition andlighting has been what has helped my photography... not the camera body.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:49 AM   #3

Hi shaolin-k,

I think that ishino has pretty much covered it, but here are some other thoughts.

AF speed shouldn't be very important for your main interests, but those might change in time. While this is an important factor for some in choosing a system, I would only really consider those factors that would make a major impact on the style of photography that interests me.

Many Nikon and Canon users covet some of the Pentax primes at the wider end of the focal length spectrum. If you looking to forego your present zooms in favor of primes, like the Pentax limiteds, you might not be able to do much better, quality-wise, and the comparable Nikon pro level lenses will probably cost considerably more.

The sensor based image stabilization of the Pentax also gives you this capability with any lens you can fit on it, and this might be a consideration, if this technology might be important to you. With the Nikon system, you'd need to pay a premium for VR versions of each of the lenses you might consider.

The Nikon flash system is considered the best and most versatile by most pros. If you can see yourself doing a lot of portraiture, this might be something to consider. Pentax P-TTL flash seems to be still evolving, and though it does work for me, I'm not the most sophisticated flash user, so my opinion shouldn't count as much as those of the pros.

You really have to examine where you want to go with your photography -- in the end, you probably can't go wrong with either body, they're both great, and for your stated preferences in subject matter, both systems offer quite a lot. Only you can make the final choice.

You're lucky that you live in Japan. Your GAS (we, in the Pentax world call it LBA -- Lens Buying Addiction :-)) is probably well served by your location -- I imagine all the best and newest stuff is probably more widely available, and made available first for the home market. . .

Good luck in choosing a new system.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:05 PM   #4
TDN

Iknow it's strange for people in the Pentax forum to disencourage you to get the K10D, but in this case I'd stay with Nikon too

If you can afford the D200, it's a great camera, and like the K10D, intended as a more advanced photographic tool than the average consumer DSLR.

Btw, the D200 has some wheather seals too. Not as much as the K10D, but it's definitly better protected than the D50.

With those lenses, I would just stick with Nikon.
In my opinion, they, together with Pentax have the best ergonomics for cameras on the market...

Whichever you decide on, enjoy your new camera!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:21 PM   #5

For me at this point there don't exist bad dslr's. The differences are marginal, its the salespeople who make a big fuss about minimal differences.

So if was in your case I would go for the equipment I already have invested in.

And this will be my point of view untill someone from Pentax offers me some great lenses for free (hint - hint) :lol:

Just adding my 5c , and I second Tom whatever you decide enjoy you new body.
Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:43 PM   #6

I agree with the others on these two points: (1) There are really no bad DSLRs on the market right now, so it's pretty hard to go wrong. (2) If you've already got a lot of money invested in Nikon, well, stick with Nikon.

However, you omit to mention one of the Pentax K10D's strengths, namely, in-camera shake reduction. I do mostly handheld shooting and for me, this was decisive. You said you like to shoot landscapes, mountains, and I assume you're using a tripod, so perhaps for you it's not such a big deal. But if you are planning to buy lenses, and if shake reduction/image stabilization will ever be an issue for you, well, you very possibly would recover the cost of switching in the money you save buying lenses.

The K10D has some other special excellences. I love TAv mode, USER mode, having the front e-dial, and just the general ergonomics of the camera. But I'm not familiar with the Nikon D200 and can't really compare....

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:50 PM   #7

I agree with the others on these two points: (1) There are really no bad DSLRs on the market right now, so it's pretty hard to go wrong. (2) If you've already got a lot of money invested in Nikon, well, stick with Nikon.

However, you omit to mention one of the Pentax K10D's strengths, namely, in-camera shake reduction. I do mostly handheld shooting and for me, this was decisive. You said you like to shoot landscapes, mountains, and I assume you're using a tripod, so perhaps for you it's not such a big deal. But if you are planning to buy lenses, and if shake reduction/image stabilization will ever be an issue for you, well, you very possibly would recover the cost of switching in the money you save buying lenses.

The K10D has some other special excellences. I love TAv mode, USER mode, having the front e-dial, and just the general ergonomics of the camera. But I'm not familiar with the Nikon D200 and can't really compare....

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:51 PM   #8

I have the D200 and not the K10D. I have the K100D and ist DS. Since you already have Nikon glass I would stick with that system. I went with Pentax based on price and backward compatibilty with older lenses.

My shooting style for action shots and lots of them was in need of something else. The buffer and FPS is small and slower than the Nikon D200. Simply put I can fire off at will and not have the same issues I was having with the Pentax. The AF system is much quicker as well.

The D200 also has weather sealing and the flash system is second to none. The ability to use commander mode already built into the camera is a great feature for me. The Nikon CLS is just simply the best that there is as of now. Your interest in portrait shooting lends to Nikon being a better choice due to CLS.Check into that before you buy.

Four memory bankswhere I have a P&S, Landscape, Portrait and Action settings. All saved in my camera ready to go.

The K10D keeps up and possibly surpasses the D200 in other styles of shooting but I can't really say that since I have not taken one on for a spin or purchased one. I optedfor a second D200 body instead and in trade for my teaching beginning digital photography for a local camera dealer I was able to get some niceNikkor glass.

The K10D can be had for$794 US at BHPhoto.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:29 PM   #9

I've tried the D200 and the K10D and I like them both.

I like the fact that the Pentax has the anti shake in the body. With Nikon and Canon you have to spend bucks every time you buy a lens, if you want the anti shake.

I like the Pentax sealing and the dust removal system... things the Nikon doesn't have...although I'm sure the D200 has some weather resistance as it is a top quality camera.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Check out WackyRoger's photos . He uses a K10D and usually a 50-500 mm Sigma zoom. Extremely sharp pictures. I'm impressed with the performance Roger gets with his K10D.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:38 PM   #10

I can't disagree with the others about sticking with Nikon, even though I love my Pentax K10. There are two things you said in your post that I find significant. First, you already have lenses and saving money is important. Second, and perhaps even more important is that you found the D200 more comfortable than the K10. Having a camera that is comfortable to use is really important to me.

The only thing that gives me pause about whole-heartedly recommending you stick with Nikon is that you find the D200 a little heavy for your taste. I find the K10 a bit heavy for me (I'm small) - it's as heavy a camera as I'll be able to manage and I do find that extra weight a problem sometimes, especially when I'm tired and using a 300mm lens. It hasn't gotten any easier in the 6 months I've had the camera, and I'll occasionally set it aside to use my back-up K100 (I normally carry both cameras and keep different lenses on them, like the kit lens on the K100 and a 300mm on the K10). So make sure that the extra weight isn't going to affect your control of the camera (by the way, the SR on the K10 has helped a huge amount with that heavy 300mm lens - I'm sure I wouldn't be able to use this lens at all without it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote