Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:04 PM   #11

Both of those are nice shots Dawg, you are making me really look forward to my vacation at the beach next week.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:18 PM   #12

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Both of those are nice shots Dawg, you are making me really look forward to my vacation at the beach next week.

Tim
At least you won't have a 12 hour drive to get there. Looking forward to some photos when you get back...Have a great time.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:46 PM   #13

They are awesome shots! The only thing that caught me off-guard was your comment that the second picture was taken a couple of minutes after the first one and the sun was higher. Since I'm a West-coastie, I was thinking sunSET not sunRISE. After all, the sun is supposed to SET over the ocean, not RISE over it!

While others might question the scene, I do not. The sun looked very similar a couple of weeks ago when I was watching it first come overthe distant horizon in the Mojave Desert. We were driving at 65 mph and my pictures taken through the windshield and side windows aren't half as good as these!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:33 AM   #14

Real nice, Bigdawg. Like some others I prefer #2, but both are very fine.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that caught me off-guard was your comment that the second picture was taken a couple of minutes after the first one and the sun was higher. Since I'm a West-coastie, I was thinking sunSET not sunRISE. After all, the sun is supposed to SET over the ocean, not RISE over it!
One advantage of living in a small country surrounded by water is that I can go to the east coast in the morning (45 min drive) and then enjoy the sunseton the west coast after having dinner at home (1 hour drive).What do the Americans and Aussies say about that?:blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:13 AM   #15

Very definitely - WOW!!!

I love that second shot, especially the little reflection at the water's edge. Was that planned or just serendipity? Whatever, fantastic shots.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 6:54 AM   #16

Quote:

One advantage of living in a small country surrounded by water is that I can go to the east coast in the morning (45 min drive) and then enjoy the sunseton the west coast after having dinner at home (1 hour drive).What do the Americans and Aussies say about that?:blah:

Kjell
Hey now Big continents, little spots. I grew up in Miami, Fl. We could get away with those tricks

Of course it's hopeless in CT (little known fact, Connecticut once stretched from coast to coast when settlers didn't realize how huge the continent was. It was declared the state's borders went west as far as the next oceanic body. This fact untested and brought to you by my 2nd grade history teacher)

At the end of July our family's spending a week at the beach here, if I'm really lucky I'll get one photo as good as the Dawg's then.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:11 AM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
They are awesome shots! The only thing that caught me off-guard was your comment that the second picture was taken a couple of minutes after the first one and the sun was higher. Since I'm a West-coastie, I was thinking sunSET not sunRISE. After all, the sun is supposed to SET over the ocean, not RISE over it!

While others might question the scene, I do not. The sun looked very similar a couple of weeks ago when I was watching it first come overthe distant horizon in the Mojave Desert. We were driving at 65 mph and my pictures taken through the windshield and side windows aren't half as good as these!
Mtngal, I could see how that would throw you..LOL. As far as questioning the scene, I really don't know why anyone would..Those that know me know I'll Post Process at the drop of a hat...But when I say no Post processing done..That is exactly what was done. I say again..These were resized and some cloning was done to remove some dust specs...I tried using Neat Image for noise clean up but didn't like the way it made the photo look. Just looked better to me with out any post processing. And I'm not one of the purist that think Post processing is an evil either. Anyway here is the EXIF Data for these 2 photos...Even though it is the same for both photos I'll post both anyway.

First photo....

[Image]
Make = PENTAX Corporation
Model = PENTAX K10D
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop 7.0
Date Time = 2007-06-25 08:32:49
YCbCr Positioning = co-sited
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 592
PrintIM Data = 350 Byte

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/180"
F Number = F4.5
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2007-06-21 04:59:31
Date Time Digitized = 2007-06-21 04:59:31
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 200mm
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 536
Exif Image Height = 800
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 300mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Contrast = Hard
Saturation = High saturation
Sharpness = Hard
Subject Distance Range = Distant view

[Thumbnail Info]
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 1102
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 1713

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 86 x 128

Second photo....

[Image]
Make = PENTAX Corporation
Model = PENTAX K10D
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
Software = Adobe Photoshop 7.0
Date Time = 2007-06-25 08:41:20
YCbCr Positioning = co-sited
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 592
PrintIM Data = 350 Byte

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/180"
F Number = F4.5
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 200
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2007-06-21 05:01:01
Date Time Digitized = 2007-06-21 05:01:01
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 200mm
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 800
Exif Image Height = 536
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 300mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Contrast = Hard
Saturation = High saturation
Sharpness = Hard
Subject Distance Range = Distant view

[Thumbnail Info]
Compression = JPEG Compressed (Thumbnail)
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
JPEG Interchange Format = Offset: 1102
JPEG Interchange Format Length = Length: 1911

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 128 x 86

Dawg
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:16 AM   #18

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Real nice, Bigdawg. Like some others I prefer #2, but both are very fine.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The only thing that caught me off-guard was your comment that the second picture was taken a couple of minutes after the first one and the sun was higher. Since I'm a West-coastie, I was thinking sunSET not sunRISE. After all, the sun is supposed to SET over the ocean, not RISE over it!

Kjell
BB I thank you for the kind comments on these photos. I can get two versions of the ocean but have to travel 10-12 hours for the Atlantic and 4-5 hours for the Gulf of Mexico. That's why most of my landscapes are woodlands and streams. LOL

Dawg
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:21 AM   #19

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
Very definitely - WOW!!!

I love that second shot, especially the little reflection at the water's edge. Was that planned or just serendipity? Whatever, fantastic shots.

Keith
The reflection was "planned" after I saw it...Just couldn't get the height I needed and it would have changed the position of the sun and pier anyway. Thanks for the WOW!! Glad you enjoyed them.

Dawg
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:24 AM   #20

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kjell
Hey now Big continents, little spots. I grew up in Miami, Fl. We could get away with those tricks

Of course it's hopeless in CT (little known fact, Connecticut once stretched from coast to coast when settlers didn't realize how huge the continent was. It was declared the state's borders went west as far as the next oceanic body. This fact untested and brought to you by my 2nd grade history teacher)

At the end of July our family's spending a week at the beach here, if I'm really lucky I'll get one photo as good as the Dawg's then.
Looking forward to seeing those when you get back...You may be able to add some rocks to the photo that would have really helped mine.

Dawg