Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:17 AM   #11

Hi,

The shots arew great! They do need a little brighting up, At least to my eye. I would be very pleased that they came out that well.

I did do a little playing with them to make them a little lighter. I hope that you do not mind and may like the result.

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:47 AM   #12

You can also combine multiple exposures to try and get something closer to what you saw/want. This is a quickie just combining the darker sky and a foreground lightened up with the curves a bit.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:13 AM   #13

I too played with it a little. I liked the first one but thought the color might look better with a little boost. Never ever be afraid to pp a photo...Most pros do it and even in the film days they were played around with . I don't know if the way I did it helped or harmed, but to me a skylight filter and a touch of yellow to the sunlight helped some...I also cloned out the road to the right as it was a distraction. If you do not wish this posted please tell me and I will delete it!

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:14 AM   #14

Thnaks guys, both for the kind words and for the advice (and the PP examples).

Exactly what I was hoping for.

As I might have mentioned my previous camera was a 4Mp Olympus so I never really bothered with PP. I guess I'll have to get to grips with one bit of software or another. I'll start with the s/w that came with the GX-10 and see what that can do. I've started taking all shots in RAW + JPG so can do all the PP on the RAW images. I need to anyway as many of them have dust problems; especially noticeable with a lot of sky.

Thanks again

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:38 AM   #15

As long as you don't mind people fiddling with your images, I took a stab at the last one.
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 12:26 PM   #16

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
Thnaks guys, both for the kind words and for the advice (and the PP examples).

Exactly what I was hoping for.

As I might have mentioned my previous camera was a 4Mp Olympus so I never really bothered with PP. I guess I'll have to get to grips with one bit of software or another. I'll start with the s/w that came with the GX-10 and see what that can do. I've started taking all shots in RAW + JPG so can do all the PP on the RAW images. I need to anyway as many of them have dust problems; especially noticeable with a lot of sky.

Thanks again

Keith
Kinda sidetracking Keith's thread, but can we open our RAW files in PS? I've got PS7.x but have to convert everything from the Silkypix before playing in PShop.

Keith, dust problems? Is there something in the lens or on the CCD?
Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:22 PM   #17

Check Adobe's website, but I thought Adobe's raw converter only worked with CS and later versions of Photoshop. It might have worked with PS7, but I didn't think so (I do know that it doesn't work with PS6). You might want to look at upgrading your version to the new CS3, because the raw converter is better than the one in CS2 - it has better controls. If you don't want to spend that much, and you have some connection to a school so you can get their academic pricing, you might want to buy Lightroom (also available for download on a 30 day free trial). Then you can use that to do many adjustments, convert the picture to tiff or jpg and then open in PS7 for resizing or whatever.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:21 AM   #18

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Keith, dust problems? Is there something in the lens or on the CCD?
It was the CCD. I think I got complacent (after a whole 3 months of ownership) and was swapping lenses on a regular basis; and wherever I was. I'm not really surprised that dust got in. I really need 3 pairs of hands to change the lenses quickly so as to minimise the time the inners are open to the elements. At least the old blower I have cleared the dust. Now all I have to do is work out how to get rid of the results in software. At least I'm not shooting RAW so hopefully I'll be able to hise the dust. It's only really noticeable where there is a lot of sky or water, and I'll only other where I feel the photo is worth it.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:27 AM   #19

I got a flek of dust on mine last night, actually, mistook it for my friendly hot pixel until Robar set me straight. The pentax photolab actually instantly removed it from the RAW image without me even asking (as it does with my hot pixel). Might be an option for ya if working it manually in another post processing program.

mtngal, yup, you're right. not PS7 compatible. After the bill came in for the camera I don't think the wife'll approve the upgrade, so I'll have to utilize the bundled software for now. Thanks for the info!

Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:19 AM   #20

personally i like the second one
the colours in the sky are more saturated
the highlight in the water isnt as distracting
the composition is nicer with the higher horizon
i like the dark area at the bottom, it adds weight
and leads the eye up to the lighter area with the islands
and i really like the overall moody feel
lots of atmosphere

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote