Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1

I took these one evening up in Scotland. Now I am going to admit here and now that I really like these. But ...

... I'm not sure whether they are as good as I think they are. Hmmm, sounds like I am up myself a bit. Not good in the "Quick, put them on the cover of the magazine" just that they are, ummmmm, good (sorry can't think of a better word). They are shown in the order of my preference. In other words I like the first best.

As usual there is no PP except I did lighten a couple of the pics just to bring out some detail at the bottom.

So apart from "Sell your camera!" any advice as to these pics? Be brutal as:

a) I have a fairly thick skin; and
b) If you do make me cry, you won't see it :-)

For those that might be interested they are taken from the road at a place called Portnaluchaig, just north of Arisaig on the old Road to the Isles. The island you can see is Rum.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:39 PM   #2

I think they're pretty good. I especially like the first one and the last one. Good use of light and water.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:47 PM   #3

KeithW...

I'd be pleased if they where my shots, I like them all ... #2 perhaps a little dark.

Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:08 PM   #4

Ask and you shall receive, but don't sell your camera just yet. There is much to like here, but I think cropping out some of the dark foreground would help to emphasize the sky and its relationship tothe reflections in the water. As it isI findthe dark blobsin front an amorphous distraction. As they are now, I think No.1 is the most effective - just the right mood. Assuming 2 & 3 are the same shot, 2 is way too dark for my taste and 3 a bit too light - something in between might be better. Right now, 1 & 3 are the best. Frankly, No. 4 does nothing for me - cropping it severely to where the sky and water were equal in heightwould give it a panoramic effect, and your eye might be drawn to the horses, which otherwise are lost.Just my opinion -hopeit helps.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 4:16 PM   #5

I'll agree mostly with Penolta.

Sunsets can be harder to get 'magic' light from than sunrises for the most part, unless you get just the right atmospherics or that perfect little 2 or 3 minute period when the sun is right on the horizon and the light's bent though the atmosphere.

In the morning you'll usually have more moisture in the air which helps bring out more color for a longer time, mist rising off the water, and a few other things. I'm sure there's a more technical reason sunrises easier for me, but I like to go with 'Dawn's more magical'

If you can revisit that spot regularly you'll probably get different results every time. I like the shots very much, but you can probably get nature to provide you with more on different days. And never be afraid to uses a tele and focus on smaller sections of a gorgeous scene.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:28 PM   #6

I like the first one very much - I can see why you like it best. The second one looks too dark on my monitor, and doesn't have the magic you captured with the first one (though I like the sun rays). The third one's sky looks too light (I agree with penolta on this) - if they were my photos and I didn't have the first one, I'd probably try some way of combining the top of the second one with the bottom of the third (it isn't like this is a news picture). My first reaction to the 4th one was "just OK" until I read penolta's suggestions. Then I went back and really looked at it - I hadn't even seen the horses! I think his suggestion for cropping it would make the picture much stronger, while still maintaining the fascinating reflections.

This situation/scene is one of the main reasons I'd like a graduated neutral density filter - it might have been easier to match the exposure in the reflections and the sky with one. The scene is really awesome and you've done very well capturing it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:07 AM   #7

No 1 gets my vote , just gorgeous.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:44 AM   #8

Nr 1 is the best in the bunch closely followed by nr3.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:39 AM   #9

What did it really look like to your eye??? My guess much closer to 1 & 2

Some lightening may have helped but 3 &4 are over done to the point of really looking over exposed.

If you have software with a Gama adjust (FREE Irfanview does it), rather than fooling with Brightness and Contrast.... you might try raising it just a hair or two instead.... that often does the trick, in such situations.

Here is #1 with just the gama raised 0.45

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:08 AM   #10

And #2 Gama up 0.65
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote