Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:58 AM   #1

I am looking for a new place to get prints. In the past we used photoworks and more recently we have used photomax. Photomax seems to provide pretty decent prints and the $.10 4x6 prints gives my wife plenty of scrapbooking for the dollar, but their ordering system sucks if you want to select shots for enlargement. It takes three forevers to open a popup window showing where the crop lines will if you are choosing a size different from a 2:3 ratio and, most aggravating, the screen where you select your prints does not show the file names of the photos. In this last order I wanted several 4x6 prints of the same image post processed in different ways and one 8x12 of my favorite, but it was impossible to tell which was which by the thumbnails.

Mpix was advertising in the most recent photomagazines I received and I am checking them out. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good online photoprinter? I am looking for high quality prints and an easy ordering process, if need be my wife can continue ordering 4x6 from photomax and I will order enlargements from somewhere else.

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:12 AM   #2

For everyday regular printis, I use Walmart (Matte), Walgreens (Gloss) and Sams Club. ALl of them have the ability for you to crop etc. However, I crop to size before I upload the prints. You can oders to be printed at a store nearest to you and you can pick them (upon payment). Very easy and very convenient for me

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:10 PM   #3

I've had excellent service and results from AdoramaPix. They often have specials. Just finished a special 8 x 10's for 99 cents. This is on Kodak Premium paper. Very nice results.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:11 PM   #4

Deleted...Double Post.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:23 PM   #5

Costco has fast service, but the quality varies quite a bit from store to store. If you find one that does good prints they are reasonable and fast, plus their on line ordering is simple to use.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:31 PM   #6

Thanks for your input ya'll. I have looked at Adorma for photo supplies but not for printing, .99 for 8x10 sounds like a pretty good special Driver3, I will have to check them out also. Is there really so little difference between places that print photos? I had figured there would be "serious" printers for us "serious" photographers.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:30 PM   #7
PDL

I also use Costco - but I do not print anything smaller than 8x12 there. I really dislike small prints - I do print them up - but for postcards and Christmas cards I send out to family and friends.

When I print to Costco - I am very careful to disable their auto correct mode on the printers. All that PP and then accept default processing - no way. I use costco to print 8x12, 12x18 and 20x30. Just be sure to get their printer drivers, uncheck the auto fix box and get them within a few hours. (I can stop off on my way home) Several of the people I work with have developed a personal relationship with the guy in charge of the photo processing section in the local Costco. One of my co-workers who has a very successful portrait side business going on, provides his customers with images processed with the Costco printer drivers - so they have become his defacto color print house.

The 20x30s are printed in Maryland and shipped out here - printer profiles are not available - boo hoo.

Oh - by the way - the 20x30 is uncropped off of my *ist Ds and is just beautiful. It is "Aroaki/Mt. Cook 1" located here:

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/philipdlanum

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote