Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1

I shot this at 300mm, f/2.8, 1/50sec, hand held, SR On.

Without a monopod or tripod this shot should not be attempted at less than 1/300sec. Glad I had the SR turned on

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:12 PM   #2

That is clear. You can see details in the man's face.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:34 AM   #3

Looks like some tight security...:-)

Post more, Crash!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:49 AM   #4

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I shot this at 300mm, f/2.8, 1/50sec, hand held, SR On.

Without a monopod or tripod this shot should not be attempted at less than 1/300sec. Glad I had the SR turned on

I've said same to many who pooh pooh it as a relatively frivilous/ineffective feature.

As I am guessing you didn't because you are thinking on next shot as I would be.... maybe next time in a long slow situation like that, I'll think to turn the SR off and take the same shot again as the blurry mess it would be....

Of course that would just be to convince them... I have no doubt about what the 10DSR can do, if you are reasonably steady to begin with.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:28 AM   #5

Crash

Nice portrait lens for a 300mm. You need the distance in not disturbing your subject. I do a lot of portrait or near close up with my 300mm as well. For a short lens it would have been almost in your face .

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:14 PM   #6

As Hayward says, it would be really interesting to see the effect of SR but how would you know whether without SR you had managed to hold the camera exceptionally still or that with SR you shook a bit more than usual. Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters!

I've got to ask, did your subject know you were photographing him and was that a pose or is he a fierce as he looks? Maybe not fierce, just grumpy at having a 300mm lens pointed in his direction

Whatever, I really like the photo.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:27 PM   #7

Nice shot Crash!!

What does it say on his helmet??..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:59 PM   #8

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot Crash!!

What does it say on his helmet??..

Bruce
i cant read the text.. but that is for sure the Mortal Kombat logo on it.. interesting
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 11:40 PM   #9

Great shot, Crashman. I am a big believer in SR, and I also had a great demonstration of how valuable it can be this afternoon. Right about dusk today I was sitting it my yard halfway watching my feeders at the edge of the woods when I saw a Ladder Backed Woodpecker, a bird I had never seen, and one which is very rare in our area.

I clicked this shot at 400mm...f6.7....ISO 1600..at 1/20 sec handheld. The pic is far from perfect, and nowhere near the clarity you got, but without SR, I'm convinced it would be virtually unrecognizable.

Correction on woodpecker identification: Downy Woodpecker instead of a Ladder Back.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:38 AM   #10

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
As Hayward says, it would be really interesting to see the effect of SR but how would you know whether without SR you had managed to hold the camera exceptionally still or that with SR you shook a bit more than usual. Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters!
Well that aside and within moments not trying to shake, but steady as possible your two examples are right here for your evaluattion....

I am a person that steady CAN pull off a 1/4 sec shot many (at least as good as this) can't even do under 1/60th (wider than this... like 50mm) or under with no SR so maybe not as extreme an example as this might really "NORMAL" person might be.... this still typical ability I can be... at 155mm

No SR, many might consider this a sharp enough shot... its readable and at 155mm, but VS....

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote