Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1

There was a fireworks display at a local carnival. It wasn't anything spectacular, but you get to sit pretty close to the display and the cement bleachers make for very comfortable seating. Since I was so close, all my photos were taken with the kit lens zoomed out to 18mm, and this definitely helps for longer exposures.

I believe all of these were taken at 1/2 second. The f/stop ranged from f/7 to f/14 (you hardly need to be precise at getting good exposures with fireworks). The ones with lower f/stops picked up more of the smoke in the background.

f/8

f/8

f/14

f/7

f/7

I probably should have stopped down a bit towards the end, most of the finale shots were rather overexposed. Next time I think I'll use f/10 or higher and shoot RAW.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2

pretty darn good for handheld.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:37 PM   #3

Wow! How'd you handle focusing, just @ infinity? Those're pretty danged good, I was ready to get haul the tripod to the town's display..
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, just focused to infinity. Are you using one of the stabilized cameras? Even if you are, if you can get away with using a tripod and it isn't a huge inconvenience I'd say give that a try. The hardest part of shooting fireworks is getting an interesting composition, and if you can do a 2 or 3 second exposure you should be able to do a good job of filling up the frame. I think I'd want to use a remote shutter for this kind of thing though. Then you can just point at where things are going on and snap shots while sitting back and enjoying the show rather than with one eye pressed up into a viewfinder.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:26 AM   #5

hand held
wow
they are great photos
something i can try when we next have fireworks
Australia day
January
if i can remember for that long

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 5:37 PM   #6

Really cool pictures - incredible that you could do them hand-held. Fireworks are forbidden up here and we aren't going to go anywhere Wednesday.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:16 AM   #7

Have to admit I forget if you are *ist or us SR folks but either way if you are steady enough to begin with, and close enough to be short F at INF focusL.... that can easily happen with the instant AE capability DSLRS have that even but for the most advanced P&S don't realy have for the most part..
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:27 AM   #8

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I believe all of these were taken at 1/2 second. The f/stop ranged from f/7 to f/14 (you hardly need to be precise at getting good exposures with fireworks). The ones with lower f/stops picked up more of the smoke in the background.
And you have a good point there too.....

In April there was a night they had for a boat race... a fW show... it #1 started early... #2 was NON STOP..... #3 just got my new A 1.7 out of the mail maybe 10 shots before......

But wide open at 1.7 was amazingly sharp and not aways just spots.... and shutter varried between 1/500 and 1/40th...... and those real slow ones were still razor sharp edges but wholely different in film rendered amazing color gradient palate.... VS actually live just color fading sparkeles. Still pretty much all razor sharp on edge, and even if not real spectacular looking.

Suggestion for FW.... fastest lens you have.... MF set at INF.... and just shoot.... BY ALL MEANS DON'T even consider/think of using AF.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote