Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:51 PM   #1

Yes, I know that this is off topic, however with the introduction of the new K100D Super model and this ruling the other day, it appears that the day of shopping the internet for the lowest price may have come to an end.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...mp;oref=slogin

Oh by the way - while it lasts - I see that the old model Pentax K100D after the $50 rebate is going for $370 (body only) at least at one outlet.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:00 AM   #2

That is good news for the surviving brick and mortar retailers, but bad news for the consumer. Let's hope manufacturers have gotten used to the increased volume of lower "street pricing" and don't revert to back-door fixing of the old higherMSRPs.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3

Hmmm, it'll be interesting to see how this works out. I'm fairly certain that this would be deemed illegal here in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) and quite how it would be enforced over the net I'm not sure. I guess there'll be a lot more imports from Hong Kong.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that this would be deemed illegal here in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe)
Until this weekprice fixinghas been illegal here, too. How narrowly or broadly this decision will be applied remains to be see. With the latest appointments, the Supreme Court has now issued a number of 5 to 4 rulings in favor of disregarding legal precedents. In his confirmation hearings, the new Chief Justicewho sided with the majority indicated several times thatestablished law should notbe disregarded.His majority opinion stated otherwise in as many words. Hmmmm. . . .

One can safely predict that the case load of the courts will increase substantially.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I know that this is off topic, however with the introduction of the new K100D Super model and this ruling the other day, it appears that the day of shopping the internet for the lowest price may have come to an end.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...mp;oref=slogin

Oh by the way - while it lasts - I see that the old model Pentax K100D after the $50 rebate is going for $370 (body only) at least at one outlet.
I'm not too worried. This ruling only applies to one country, although as it is the US, it is a mighty important country.

But still the internet cannot be stopped and discount retailers will just set up in other countries-which will still sell to consumers in the U.S. of A.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:07 AM   #6

Damn stupid idea!

If the manufatures want to sell at 100$ and the retailers want to sell at $50 then so what!

Everyone is getting what they want.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 1:53 PM   #7

Quote:
But still the internet cannot be stopped and discount retailers will just set up in other countries-which will still sell to consumers in the U.S. of A.
But withoutUSA warranties.

Old Jul 1, 2007, 5:57 PM   #8

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
But withoutUSA warranties.
Exactly!!

Quite a bit of the glass that we here in the USA cannot seem to find appears to be available in Hong Kong, Japan, or Europe..

I assume that if someone in the USA buys a lens from one of those places then not only do you not get the USA warranty, but import duries are going to have to be paid when a certain dollar amount is exceded??..

I'm also assuming that the lack of a USA warranty fouls things up to some extant if the need for service arises??..

Will Pentax USA repair a product purchased outside of the USA??..

Both Henry's (CANADA) & Matsuiya Store (JAPAN) offer to deal with warranty work for their overseas customers, but that means shipping the product back to Canada or Japan..

The resultantadditional loss in time as well as the considerable expense to insure overseas packages means that it is not a veryeconomical propisition to do so..

It kinda makes it a crap shoot as to whether or not you want to take the risk in buying from those places if you live in the USA..

If you do and nothing happens necessitating a warranty return out of country, then everything will be o-kay..

If something does happen, then unless the item needing work is a high ticket purchase, then it might not be worth repairing from an economical point of view..

If the owner has to pay full ticket to have something repaired in the USA that was purchased out-of-counrty, or spend a lot to ship it back to the country of purchase, what then??..

Does anyone think that if this law takes it's worst form, that the camera companies will change the terms of their warranty service??..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote