Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1

OK lets go back to my day at the aquarium..... glass there often does confuse AF escpecially if subject near the glass surface.... realizezed quickly MF was the way to go....

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

NOW THE FLIP SIDE......

Had on my recently acquired FA 50 1.4 and KNEW it could do better first using it bareback with no filter... but with just a UV was screwing up..... O EV.... again in low light confusing the AF for the exrtra glass surface ( no problem in bright daylight.... took it off and instantly then on this type shot again always FAST fast and in in focus shot. Again like fish and glass being in the near same or interferimg focal distance.

PS any one in KW visiting has a chance to see the Michael Dixon band... do so. She blows a mean sax

In low light any kind of exterior glass is going to screw things up.... be it acquarium glass or neutral filter.... making AF pick and choose vs just DECIDE.

PS for any one that wants to pick on K10D WB this is a TOTALLY pink/red lit stage. Though a Manual WB really just pick a white spot auto WB set thing. And actrually done weeks ago for this location not the specific performance... and guesssing yellower dimmer light.... but still FAR from pink/red. the lighting actually is.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:08 AM   #2

Good reminder. I am a proponent of removing any unneeded filters when shooting, unless dusty, sandy, or rainy conditions require some level of protection. I am completely at ease with not using filters (except for CPL, of course) almost all the time, but I still get a little precious about my new 50/1.4, and keep a UV on it.
This is a good reminder to treat it as a second lens cap and always remove it for best results!
Cheers:-)

Intensecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 1:17 AM   #3

Intensecure wrote:
Quote:
I still get a little precious about my new 50/1.4, and keep a UV on it.
This is a good reminder to treat it as a second lens cap and always remove it for best results!
Cheers:-)
Funny you should say that because EXACTLY what this lens was.... and personally regard my old A 50 1.4 MUCH more (just trying to gather an opinion on the FA so far BUT the FA other than the AF factor is is a considerable disappiontment compared to the A 1,4 )... this is a BIG MINUS... amoungst other thing).... and A being MF actually EYE focus... interfering glass doesn't really matter.... no AF muddling things up..... and IMHO better image too... though in certain situation the AF is a nice thing.... but so far the IQ wise the ~20 year old "A" FAR beats out the latest coolest FA 50 1.4 by a long shot but for the AF/auto factors which again often work AGAINST you if you aren't paying attention.

So yeah while chap ZOOMS have gone way better .... un less you want to spend BIG $$$$ for LIMITEDS, sadly primes seem to have gone downhill :shock:

Again other than the occasionally nicety of the AF on the FA I'll take my A series any day... and it cost 3/4 less.... though with the blossoming of the new K popularity that is changing FAST. They aren't making any more old glass.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote