Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1

I really did intend to get out early enough to take advantage of the light, in fact I packed my stuff and hiked from the house to the nearby 'mountain'. Got to the top, looked at my gear, and discovered I'd not brought the memory card :shock:

Hiked home, got the car, went to the other side with the sun too high to really get what I wanted.

Here are a few, though, that survived and some good examples of that 'cheap' Pentax J75-300 lens. The images were touched up a bit unless otherwise noted. Shot in *** jpeg on the k100d. The lens is more than fine, although the images needed the contrast upped a bit and of course unsharp masking.. but no matter how good a lens is there's always room for sharpening

Some 'weeds'

A little bird who was quite noisy, turned out her boyfriend was nearby but they were flicking about too quick to capture..

And a lovely fly sucking on what I thought was a fungus covered stick when I shot it, but now I think it might have been a rotting old worm-thing. The first shot is a 100% crop straight out of the camera, the second with sharpening. Not the quality of a dedicated macro, but 300mm on a bargain priced lens and still pretty impressive.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:01 PM   #2

flowers look like chamomile. Nice shots! great way to spend a Sunday
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:18 PM   #3

xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:
flowers look like chamomile. Nice shots! great way to spend a Sunday
Is that what those are? They grow all over the place around here, just assumed it was a weed with a pretty flower.

Eventually the kid got bored so I amused him and tested the camera at the same time :idea:

Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:35 PM   #4

Excellent shots. I'm thinking about the FA 75-300 Pentax- good to see that the pix quality is excellent.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 2:08 AM   #5

Even weeds and noisy birds can look lovely when photographed so well.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:01 AM   #6

Really like this series, a bit of something for everyone. Your multi-exposure (is that how you did that?) of your son is very well done.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:19 AM   #7

CC, I like the bird and the boy. The colors are nice and rich. They both look very real.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8

Thanks for the kind words.

The multi exposure was just that then a good deal of photoshop. If there's an easier way to combine images than eraser tools on layers I'm all for learning it (doesn't the K10D process mutliple exposures in camera?) I used the kit 18-55 for those, not the 75-300, didn't want to mislead. I took some sunset images from the hilltop in that background later in the day, but need to thicken my skin before posting
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:27 PM   #9

The K10 does do multi-exposures, but I've never played around with it - that's why I asked the question. I really like what you did, and wondered if that's what I could get by using a tripod with the K10, or if you did it with Photoshop. Maybe I should play around with the multi-exposure just to see what happens, even though I'm not sure I "see" in those terms. Might be fun (or frustrating).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:00 AM   #10

Sounds like you could do it with just a tripod if it works that way. For a printed version of that image I'm (slowly) replacing the background with another from the same spot where I exposed for the trees instead of Ryan. Basically the sky isn't blown out and there's more texture to all the evergreens and other trees. With the faster frame rate and no limit on number of exposures you could probably do a much better version with the 10d. The K100D only fires off about 5 (4?) in a row before the buffer's full and not too quickly.

Between that and almost getting caught in a storm the other day I do wish I had the extra $$$ to get the 10, but when I'm ready I'm sure there'll be an upgrade out