Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:33 AM   #11

If that's all then you really need none of the HIGH CLASS stuff you have put in your cart until you see a real technical need of critically better.... for a SPECIFIC NEED

Again Kit Lens (BABY AND WIDE LS) and an inexpensive SIGMA 70-300mm (ZOOM DISTANT LS other zoom) would probably serve you just FINE for all those needs.

AND by just buying two good/decent quality lenses.

(The Kit better part of a give away... significantly more expensive to buy new after market most cases)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:08 AM   #12

I still think that getting the best lens you can is very important, and having a fast lens with babies and animals is a good idea. The one concern I might have is with "landscape." Landscape people seem to come in two flavors - those that use wide angle mostly to place a foreground object in it's surroundings and capture broad vistas etc. Then there are those who look at landscape more from a close-up point of view, where they'll separate out details with long lenses and take lots of macros of flowers or plant details.

If you are the first type then your last choice will work very well - you'll have the wider angle capability with the 16-45 and portrait/animals in the backyard etc. with the 50-135.

If you are the macro/detail person you'd probably want a longer lens than 135 very quickly. I had the DA 50-200 and wanted more, so I bought an A*300mm lens used (super-sharp, an oldie-but-goodie lens) to add to it. My thought now is that I found myself using 50-135 most often, and when I wanted something longer I just used the prime 300.

The other "hole" you would have if you are a detail/macro person is that you probably would want to buy a macro lens sooner, rather than later. Neither of the two lenses you'd be buying would have much for close-focusing required for macro pictures.

I'd second not getting the grip right off. While some people love theirs and far prefer shooting with it on (saying it provide better balance, etc.), I can't handle one at all. It's very uncomfortable for me to manage (I have small hands) and the weight added is significant. It's definitely a "try before you buy" type of item, and you can easily add it later if you decide you want one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 9:19 AM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'd second not getting the grip right off. While some people love theirs and far prefer shooting with it on (saying it provide better balance, etc.), I can't handle one at all. It's very uncomfortable for me to manage (I have small hands) and the weight added is significant. It's definitely a "try before you buy" type of item, and you can easily add it later if you decide you want one.
That seemes to be a hand size thing more than anything else..... I carry an extra battery and have no desire for my 10D to be bulkier than it is.... also have no problem hanging the camera from my right hand, left still supporting lens and geting a steady vert shot..

You have PAUL BUNYON fingers... maybe the grip would serve..

Unless they include added flash mount capability (Pentax doesn't) I haven't ever understood the NEED for a grip. The spare battery fits in the bag EASY the grip wouldn't and much added weight.... and I like heavy cameras but the 10D is just right as IT IS.

And honestly as much as I might like to have one have you ever held a Canon 1D... its like holding a HUMMER i n your hand.... ESPECIALLY with it also pretty needless grip.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:12 AM   #14

There is some good advice in this thread. I'd also agree to buy the best lenses you can afford but at the same time I know that does not go well with sticking to a budget. There are many great lenses out thereand not all of them cost an arm and a leg. Great glass will hold it's valuefor when you want to trade up.

Based upon your wanting to take pictures of babies, animals (i'll assume pets) and landscapes... knowing what I know now... this is what I would buy if I were in your shoes.

Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 - This should be a must lens for all camera bags. A fast 50mm that is great in low light, will test your creativity with it's razor thin DOF at f/1.4, and it is just long enough to be a good distance from your subject.

Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - This is a GREAT lens! For portraits, for babies, for fast moving pets. THe zoom range, although not great does give enough flexability to be able to zoom in on those key shots. If you haven't researched this lens, do yourself a favor and read up on some reviews.

Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 - Landscapes, wide angle shots... I like this better than the DA 16-45 for landscapes, You'll have the range above the DA 12-24mm covered by the Tamron 28-75 and you'll find the wide angle capabilities of this lens great!

Pentax DA 50-200 f/4-5.6 or Sigma 70-300 APOor Tamron 70-300- For when you just want a little more reach, it's going to be nice to have something in your camera bag that's beyond 75mm. Long reach doesn't seem to be your immediate need, butany of theselensesare a great performer. If you wanted something a little longer you couldwith theSigma 70-300 APO or the Tamron 70-300 and you do get 1:2 macro capability with those two lenses for roughly the same price. I do give a slight edge to picture quality at 200mm to the Pentax though.

So there you have it. Whatever you do get, enjoy it and take lots of pictures!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:22 AM   #15

Oh and on the battery grip, I for one like having the battery grip on my K10D. It is strictly a personal preference thing, but it works great for me and no I don't have huge hands.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:24 AM   #16

I've asked help on multiple forums so far to maximize my chances of getting a thread exactly le this. This is the best photography forum ever.

I am not going to argue with any of you, as I don't have the expertise. I'm RE-reading Understanding Exposure again because there are things that still ellude me.

I will NOT get the lens kit no matter what. One glass I will buy for sure is the 16-45mm f4, which got better reviews than the 18-55.

I'm still not sure if the new glass or a sigma would be a better choice... I wonder why the lense is already available in Canada though???

It is my understanding that the 50-135mm will allow me to take on macro photography as well as take more sharp and defined pictures of moving animals.

To be a little honest it's out my league of understand still ...

TigerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:40 AM   #17

Following recommendations here is what it looks like (I found out I pay no duty from BH and my warranty is still good so I'll order everything from them

- Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) Autofocus Lens $619,95

Pentax
Zoom Normal-Telephoto SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED Autofocus Lens for ...
MFR #21567 • B&H #PE5020045DA Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $229.95 $ 229.95 [align=left] [/align] Tamron
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) ...
MFR #AF09P700 • B&H #TA287528PAF Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $379.00 $ 379.00 [align=left] [/align] PentaxUSA
Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens
MFR #20817 • B&H #PE5014FA Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $199.00 $ 199.00 [align=left] [/align] Sandisk
2GB Extreme III Secure Digital (SD) Card
MFR #SDSDX32048R • B&H #SAE3SD2GB Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $40.95 $ 81.90 [align=left] [/align] Pentax
K10D, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body)
MFR #19091 • B&H #PEK10D Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $794.95 $ 794.95 [align=left] [/align] Bogen / Manfrotto
190XDB 3-Section Tripod (Black) with 501HDV Fluid Head - Supports 7.5 ...
B&H #BO190XDB501H Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $266.95 $ 266.95 [align=left] [/align] Pentax
O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras
MFR #30150 • B&H #PEEPK10D Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $34.95 $ 34.95 [align=left] [/align] Lowepro
Apex 120 AW Shoulder Bag - for Digital SLR Camera with Lens Attached, ...
MFR #34997 • B&H #LOA120AWAB Our Price: Sub Total: Quantity: Remove: $44.95 $ 44.95 [align=left] [/align]

Sub Total: $ 2,650.65

UPS Expedited $62.50
Tax: 3062.74

Total: $3021,74$

It turns out to be about the same as getting the 14-45 and the super expansive glass. But I have 4 instead...

Sounds more logical to go with the 4 glasses reasonably priced than 1 basic and 1 premium
TigerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:49 AM   #18

TigerLord wrote:
Quote:
I've asked help on multiple forums so far to maximize my chances of getting a thread exactly le this. This is the best photography forum ever.

I am not going to argue with any of you, as I don't have the expertise. I'm RE-reading Understanding Exposure again because there are things that still ellude me.

I will NOT get the lens kit no matter what. One glass I will buy for sure is the 16-45mm f4, which got better reviews than the 18-55.

I'm still not sure if the new glass or a sigma would be a better choice... I wonder why the lense is already available in Canada though???

It is my understanding that the 50-135mm will allow me to take on macro photography as well as take more sharp and defined pictures of moving animals.

To be a little honest it's out my league of understand still ...

Three suggestions for a Tripod.
1. Bogen Manfroto 3001BD ( Around $120 US)

2. Bogen Manfroto Mag Fiber 055MF3 ( around $400 US )

3. Gitzo G1327 MK2 ( around $600 US)

One suggestion for Ball heads

1. Bogen Manfroto 486RC ( around $65 US )

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:55 AM   #19

i just got the K10D and one thing i have found is you cant have enough memory
2 gig is really minimum, especially if you shoot raw and jpg
i think i got less than 50 shots on my 1 gig card,

a spare battery is handy, i guess one good reason to get the grip
not that i have one, nor will get one
but i will look at getting another battery

lenses are a personal thing
i guess you get the best you can afford
they should last a long time
me, i went around the pawn shops and picked up a few cheap

oh
and a bigger bag
you always need a bigger bag

trust me
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:00 AM   #20

Your kit now looks like a good all-around set-up. You can decide later on if you want to add a dedicated macro lens, or get extension tubes (good Christmas gift idea) or whatever for macro, or even if you need anything more and want to get intosomething like that - you find what you have is sufficient for your needs.

I happen to have the kit lens and have been perfectly happy with it.The12-24 you are getting is on my wish list, but that's because I've been starting towork oneffectively using a wide-angle (I'm the macro/detail type).

Let us know what you finally get, and be sure to post some pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote