Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:09 AM   #21

In the latest kit it's not apparent but there are 2x 2GB on there. I plan to shoot RAW (never used before) but I heard it's so amazing that I can't wait to try it.

I *think* I will ditch the
- Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL (IF) Autofocus Lens and buy a slightly better tripod and ballhead, as well as an extra battery.

Having never owned a SLR before, and since I will be adopting 2 siamese kittens at the time I get the camera, I will want to discover the features of my K10D and learn
how to properly use aperture and shutter speed in the comfort of my home first, and when I feel comfortable with my pets/portraits pictures I'll start getting up early before sunrise and buy the 12-24mm to start experiencing with landscape because as I understand it, portraits and landscape are two completely ballparks. Or maybe just get the

I think I will be less overwhelmed if I get the
Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4,
the Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8
and the 50-200mm f/4-5.6

to start with.

What do you guys think of this approach?
TigerLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:39 AM   #22

If you decide against the DA 12-24mm, I'd strongly recommendadding the kit DA 18-55 lens. Without it wide angle shots will be limited by the narrow 28mm of the Tamron. Considering the crop factor that is 42mm in 35mm format. And really the kit lens is pretty decent for what it is. I still use my DA 18-55 even though I have primes that cover that range. You never know when you might want to get that group shot of everyone in your living room or around a table at a birthday party.

Personally I think the tripod you had selected is more than plenty. But that is me, I rarely ever use one now that I have shake reduction with my K10D.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:59 AM   #23

Would you get the 16-45 over the 18-55 ?

And also, why get the 50mm f/1.4 when the Tamrom covers 28-75?

I'm sorry for asking all those questions but I do appreciate the help - I just want to be sure I dont buy useless shit

Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:35 PM   #24

If budget is unlimited then get the 16-45 - it is a faster lens and has a better reputation (I have the kit lens and have never felt a need to upgrade). However, if budget is somewhat limited, then the kit lens takes very nice pictures. I do think that you need something wide angle, either the kit lens, the 16-45 (more expensive, a bit wider andfaster)or the 12-24 (significantly wider - the lens I've thought about to go with my kit lens).

The reason for getting the FA50mm 1.4 is due to the fact that it is a very fast lens and is very sharp. It has to do with the aperture opening - the smaller the bigger the lens opening and the more light it will let in. If you have more light you will be able to use a faster shutter speed to get proper exposure (all other things being equal) and since you mentioned babies and animals, that sounds like a lot of indoor photography where light is limited. You would either need a good flash (not so good with babies) or use existing light. A 1.4 lens will allow for faster shutter speeds than the 2.8 lens, something good for babies and cats who don't always cooperate by staying still.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:40 PM   #25

Yes I would get the 16-45 over the 18-55. But in your case I would get the 12-24 over the 16-45.

As for getting the 50 when you have that covered by the Tamron 28-75. Simple for it's f/1.4 aperture. This lens does what most other lenses can not do, take great photos in low light. Because of it'swide aperture it can let more light in compared to other lenses. For example you have a choice, low light photo example, a kids birthday party, the lights are dim, the candles are lit on the birthday cake and she is about to blow them out, you want to capture that moment. Use flash, well that will totally destroy the lighting of the candles. Okay bump up your ISO to 1600, well then you start to get noisy pictures. Okay so I'll slow down the shutter speed to let in more light, well then you start to get blur and that can ruin the photo if all you see is a blur spot. This is where the FA 50 f/1.4 shines. Depending on the light maybe ISO 400, shutter speed of 1/30 maybe 1/20, no flash... great capture. Like I said, this is the one lens that should be in every camera bag or collection.

Okay 16-45 versus 18-55 versus 12-24 debate. Ideally if you want to save a buck or two, get the 18-55. It is a good lens. The 16-45 will give you sharper pictures and a slightly wider angle, but not by much compared to the 18-55. I expect the popularity of the 16-45 to die off once the DA* 16-50 arrives. It's still a great lens. The 12-24 is adefiniteWIDE angle lens. Great forthosepictures you want of something large, either a landscape, a building, bridge,whatever. In 35mm format it's like comparing a 18mm to a 24mm (12mm vs 16mm).And with you getting the Tamron 28-75 the DA 12-24 is a great fit. Now if you weren't getting the Tamron 28-75 I'd say get the DA 16-45 instead. The truth is there are so many options we can go through, it is almostendless. But really I think thekit you builta couple posts agowould suit you great. But it's your camera, your lenses, and your money. Get what makes you happy!

Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:56 PM   #26

TigerLord wrote:
Quote:
My budget is 3000$. Here it is:

K10D 10.2MP Digital SLR Body BONUS $920.80
Pentax - 16-45mm f4 Digital smc DA ED AL Lens $377.60
Pentax - 50-200mm smc PDA f4-5.6 ED Lens $188.80

Battery Grip DBG2 for K10D Digital SLR $182.14
Battery Pack DLI50 Rechargeable$84.50

Sandisk - 2 GB Ultra II SD Plus Memory Card 2x $62.79
Lowepro - Pixel Pak V1 Memory Card Case $17.89

Pentax - Deluxe SLR Camera Bag with Pentax insignia $24.74
------------------------------------ Sub-total: 1922,05$
Shipping: 16,72$
6% PST: 116,32$
------------------------------------
Total: 2055,10$

Here is a comparison to an eBAY kit: click here

Sub-total: $1,189.95US
Shipping: $47US
14% PST/GST: $173,17US
Duty and brokerage fee: 79,87
------------------------------------ Total: $1460.12US
Total: 1568,47$ CAD

Of course I don't have the same lenses (CameraCanada.com doesn't have the Temron mentioned) so my approximate savings for buying across the border would be of 300$ give or take...except I won't be happy if my K10D breaks and I have no more warranty. I prefer to buy at home and have a piece od mind !

I am missing: :angry:
- A tripod
- An external flash unit

I still have around 1000$ left on my budget, so if anyone can suggest a good tripod (and a ballhead if it doesn't come with it) as well as a flash unit.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm very anxious to hear your comments! Thank you!!! :bye:

You are paying too much! Way too much!

A monthago I boughtthe body for $774.99, the grip for $152.59 and an extraoriginal Pentax Battery for $54.49. These are all Canadian prices with the full Canadian warranty. All brand new. Reasonably priced UPS shipping as well from a shop in Stratford, ON. (I live in BC).

I just checked Ebay and they have these up again for even better prices now...

http://stores.ebay.ca/Prodigital2000...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Personally, I just called them at the number on their site but you could go through Ebay just as easily...

For your information, I am not affiliated with this company in any way other than being a really happy customer!

Best of luck with your decision!

neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:05 PM   #27

By the way, if you do decide to go with CameraCanada.com they are excellent as well, their customer service is fanastic in my experience.

Ask for Stephen if you call ProDigital2000 (Carmans FotoSource), he is great.

--

Have a look at my work:
http://neilvan.zenfolio.com
neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:47 PM   #28

Omg I love you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about helpful, knowledgeable and have contacts

Camera Canada .com is definitely more expajsive than Prodigital2000 ... are they legit, and do they sell lenses???
Old Jul 3, 2007, 6:11 PM   #29

Sent in an e-mail to Prodigital2000 because the lady I spoke with on the phone said even if it's not listed they probably can get it ...

So I sent in the following:

1x K10D Body

1x Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
1x Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8
1x Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4
1x Pentax DA 50-200 f/4-5.6

3x 2GB of the fastest SD cards you have
1x PENTAX D-BG2 Grip
1x D-L150 BATTERY for K10D
1x O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras
1x Lowepro Sling Shot 300 AW Digital Camera Bag Back Pack

1x Bogen Manfroto Mag Fiber 055MF3
1x Bogen Manfroto 486RC ballhead

Looking at their prices it *SHOULD* be around my 3000$ budget.

If you had to cut somewhere would you:
- Drop a glass
- Get cheaper tripod/ballhead
and/or
- Drop ''extra'' accessories like the grip or battery?
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:23 PM   #30

IF you had to, then I would drop the grip, it does nothing to improve your pictures. And I would spend that extra loot on the Pentax AF-360FGZ flash.