Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:32 AM   #1

I now use a Pan FZ-20 and when maxed out in less than favourable lighting I cannot get a high enough shutter speed to give a crisp in focus picture. I am about to buy the K100D Super and am hoping the availability of ISO 400-800 at my disposal would solve the problem. What do you think? I am posting an example of what I mean.
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:45 AM   #2

Actually the 100D goes to even fairly clean 3200

Though on any camera if you can help it aviod highest ISO... if you can compensate any other way.... like exposure or tripod.

Maybe the only thing the 100D has over the 10D, near half MP, but less noise at highest ISO, then again near half the crop lattitude too when light is good.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:36 PM   #3

The high ISO performance of just about any DSLR would give you a significant advantage for that kind of photography. To be fair though, you should probably consider a Canon or Nikon if this is the kind of photography you'll typically be doing. The C&N cameras have better in-camera processing for shooting JPGs, and bigger buffers for taking longer bursts. In particular, I'd look at the Canon XT as it's a very feature rich camera with good high ISO performance and should be quite speedy at focusing on fast moving objects.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 12:54 PM   #4

Corpsy's right about the buffer, but the Pentax can still give good performance. This was shot with an old istDL, at ISO 400, with a 300 mm at F-5.6. It was aperture priority, so I can't tell you exactly what shutter speed it was, but I think it was either 350 or 500. The Pentax just makes you pickier about when you fire the shutter.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 3:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Good advise from all.
if I have good light I can get excellent results but when the light dims I am pretty well stuck at ISO 80 with the Panny. I think I will go with the K100D. N and C would do better, for a price, but something just sticks in my craw about buying their products. Thanks again!

k100

d
dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 7:07 PM   #6

you need to resize your images to a max of 900dpi for posting here. otherwise we have to scroll the text. 800 is even better.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2007, 11:25 PM   #7

Well if you can go in between P 100D and N/C prices.... I'd suggest you give serious consideration of the P K10D... it is really an amazing camera that you must 1 read the manual, and then 2 expolore to really get a hold of.... that make it incredibly capable.

Many times of late I have heard people say whish the 10D could do X.... well it can! Just takes the exploration/play to find it all.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote