Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:59 AM   #1

I was recently playing with all three of these bodies as I had access to them all including the Canon 1D Mklll and what amazed me was when I had finished shooting with all four cameras in RAW there was a glaring realization..The K10D at 100 to 400 iso was IMHO the best of the lot. When it came to very high iso settings depending on the lighting the K10D still came out in the top two or three. The observations I made were based on getting the exposure right. The banding issues were nonexistent and the color rendition was superb coming out of the K10D.

The conclusion I drew was the following. The K10D shines when one understands the importance of correct exposure. The other thing I garnered was the importance of understanding the latitude of the sensor in regards to extreme highlights to shadow detail. I have concluded that without a doubt in my mind, that RAW is the best solution for pulling the best performance out of the Pentax K10D.

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 5:53 AM   #2

Would you mind if I refer to "my upper level pro friend in Paris" when I tell my die-hard Canon friendsabout this?

The ones that politely look at you from above, tilt their head in pityand say "Well, all camera brands have their pros and cons, but when it comes to picture quality and dynamic range there is only Canon, due to their sensor".

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:18 AM   #3

Great comparrison Ben,

and it just add's to what I suspected when getting the k10d.

The technology is so good in any dslr that you can't see the difference unless you really really really look very hard for it.

The limiting factor is not the camera but the person behind it. If you can't make a descent shot with one camera you won't be able to do it with any other.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:31 AM   #4

If only they'd fix their AF. they'd have an all-around winner.

wishlist:

Fast AF
Clean up to iso3200, like the 6mp sensors
Pentaprism
Shake reduction.

That's it.

I will upgrade body when they have this in one package. So far k100d is just fine but I just can't click off quick snapshots if I expect the AF to even be in the right ballpark, and this is 10X better than the DL ever was.

Is k10d any better in this respect?

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:13 PM   #5

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Would you mind if I refer to "my upper level pro friend in Paris" when I tell my die-hard Canon friends*about this?*

The ones that politely look at you from above, tilt their head in pity*and say "Well, all camera brands have their pros and cons, but when it comes to picture quality and dynamic range there is only Canon, due to their sensor".

Kjell

With pleasure Kjell and you can show him this:

http://www.olaphoto.com/index.php

Where I am classed Number 1 out of over 200 world class photographers and this:

http://www.benjaminkanarek.com

Regards
Ben
:idea:
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:55 AM   #6

benjikan wrote:
Quote:
The conclusion I drew was the following. The K10D shines when one understands the importance of correct exposure. The other thing I garnered was the importance of understanding the latitude of the sensor in regards to extreme highlights to shadow detail. I have concluded that without a doubt in my mind, that RAW is the best solution for pulling the best performance out of the Pentax K10D.

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...;owner_id=5144
And then consider the price difference with the aging 30D or D200, K10D is cheaper than both and as capable over all and unique things neither offers..

And yes you need to understand your tool.... RAW may be best.... but as you said you understand exposure lattitude ability etc, and how to adapt for any limitation...... even JPG does pretty darn well (just less correctable) too.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:45 PM   #7
TDN

Very nice to see that Pentax has a serious contender in a higher level of the market.

I hope they make more in this class in the future.

I only had my DL for a year, so I'm not ready to upgrade yet, but I probably will after the new models at the "Salon de photo" come out

I truly, truly hope that there is a sort of "bridge" model between the K100D nd K10D in there, with a vertical grip. Kinda like the D80 to the D200.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:04 AM   #8

What is the price differential on the D40x - D80 - D200?

K100D to K10D is only $350 or so not sure it would be that profitable a model, to put one in between..... think I'd rather see them do a high end D2/1D Mark or 5D level competitor at a K10D kind of price value first.

100D is pretty competitive with the C Rebel/D40x (other than MP), and the 10D is VERY competitive (MHO many ways exceeding) the more expensive C 30D N D80 and even challenges the D200.

And Nikon the same thing the large price range that justifies the D80 being in the middle. Canon opted for the low end (still pricey) FF 5D instead, vs a Rebel to 30D middle.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote