Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Just returned from a junket to The Cayman Islands. The colors of the island (the water as well as the fauna and flora) is a bounty for photo nuts. The only issue I ran into was the humidity: each time I stepped out of our air-conditioned room, I had to deal with condensation on the lens, mirror (and possibly the CCD). I'm hoping there has been no permanant damage to my DL. Anyway's, here are a few pictures of the scenery. I'll post more of some fauna separately (Part II). I used the kit lens exclusively (with a CPL filter)--light weight and compact--ideal for being a tourist! Here's to all fans of "Pirates of the Caribbean"...arrgh..arrgh!!

TURQUOISE SEA FOAM ON SEVEN MILE BEACH

CALM (& WAIST DEEP) WATERS OF RUM POINT

OK THIS IS NOT QUITE A SHADE OF BLUE...HOW ABOUT JADE?

CARNIVAL CRUISE SHIP IN GEORGETOWN HARBOR

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:16 PM   #2

Your pictures make me wish I was somewhere else right now.

Stupid question, but why are there no people in the water? I would be in the ocean!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 2:37 PM   #3

Ohhh, I can not wait til next summer. We just put our deposits on our 7 day cruise to the Bahama's and CoCo Cay. Hopefully I can bring back some photos that are just as beautiful as yours!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:03 PM   #4

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Your pictures make me wish I was somewhere else right now.

Stupid question, but why are there no people in the water? I would be in the ocean!
Ishino, you ask a good question to which there are multiple answers:

Firstly, it is lowseason in the Caribbean and there were not many folks there. Second, we were on the quiet side (East End)of the island. The preceeding reasons were whywe went at this time of the year. Finally, there were asome people in the water in image no. 2. However, I thought they were distracting--hence Icloned them out. Jay

Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:17 PM   #5

Hi Jay

Love the pictures. I liked GC when we were there in March. That water was great for Snorking. My First try at Snorkling and we did it at Stringray City. Very Cool!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 7:27 PM   #6

Blues that chase away the blues! #2 is my fave of the excellent group, although the shift from green to blue in the sea is very eyecatching in the cruiseship image
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 11:50 PM   #7

What incredible pictures! The color of the ocean sure makes me want to be there (by the way, it was over 100 Fat close to 6,000 feet today - unusual for us to get quite that hot). What I wouldn't give for a cool dip on an empty beach right now!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:35 AM   #8

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
The only issue I ran into was the humidity: each time I stepped out of our air-conditioned room, I had to deal with condensation on the lens, mirror (and possibly the CCD).
How darn cold do you keep your room?????? You hanging meat in there or something??

Key West is much the same climate and I have NEVER had that problem. Even going in and out from IMO over AC'd stores and restaurant/bars.

PS I think if you got condensation on the CCD you have noticed fuzzy pics..... doubt it was more than lens... unless maybe you changed lenses immediately after going outside.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:48 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
What incredible pictures! The color of the ocean sure makes me want to be there (by the way, it was over 100 Fat close to 6,000 feet today - unusual for us to get quite that hot). What I wouldn't give for a cool dip on an empty beach right now!
It was pretty warm down there and very humid (lush and tropical). And so was the water--felt like a warm bath. My kind of water temps though (my daugher calls me a "cold water wus")! It sure is a beautiful place and a future trip to the sister islands of Little Cayman and Caman Brac are definitely in the plans! Stay tuned for part 2 of the series with some fauna & flora. Jay
Old Jul 5, 2007, 8:00 AM   #10

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:
Quote:
The only issue I ran into was the humidity: each time I stepped out of our air-conditioned room, I had to deal with condensation on the lens, mirror (and possibly the CCD).
How darn cold do you keep your room?????? You hanging meat in there or something??

Key West is much the same climate and I have NEVER had that problem. Even going in and out from IMO over AC'd stores and restaurant/bars.

PS I think if you got condensation on the CCD you have noticed fuzzy pics..... doubt it was more than lens... unless maybe you changed lenses immediately after going outside.

Hayward, Ha Ha..funny comment about hanging meat in my room:lol:

Actually the room was probably between 75-80F. I think the air temp was probably in the middle to upper 90s. Additionally I think the humidity was close to if not at 100%. I also found the condensing occurring even when I stepped out of the air-conditioned car. I recall this happening on prior trips to the tropics as well. I know that the mirror had condensation on it since once the lens cleared, the image through the view finder was still foggyfor about 5 minutes longer. I imagine that other parts probably had condensation on them as well. So far everythingappears towork normally.I am surprised that you do not encounter this living in Key West, FL.

BTW, I saw the highway leading to the Keys while flying south from Atlanta. It is on my list of places to visit as well! Jay