Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:41 PM   #1

Well the other week I had a business trip over to San Diego for a Users Conference for ESRI who produces software for GeoSpatial Information Systems. I took a flyer and posted a image I took on the June photo shoot at the last minute. Several asked for more, so here goes.

The San Diego Convention Center is down town SD, about a mile long, right on the harbor, just across the street from the baseball statium. Its a really nice facility.....

http://www.google.com/local?f=q&hl=e...p;t=k&z=17

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 6:53 PM   #2

For thoes of you who do not know what GeoSpatial Information Systems are (Maps), here is one of the samples from the map gallery. ESRI's customers that come to the annual user's conference bring maps to display and then are included in a yearly map book. Most of them are real works of art...

http://www.esri.com/mapmuseum/index.html

.... here is an example of the area around Hawaii

http://www.esri.com/mapmuseum/mapboo...0/mining5.html

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2007, 9:02 PM   #3

It's a small world, I was there also I'm also in the GIS field, cadastral mapping here in Texas for a local government.

Funny, I look at the arches every year since they added the second half (I've been to 2 in Palm Springs and every one in San Diego) and think what a great picture it would make.

One of the guys that I meet up with every year actually got me on track to get a camera. I've wanted one for a while but after the conference I decided it was time (he was the beared guy with the D70 taking EVERYONE's picture).

Great photos there, next year I hope to finally get some myself
chepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:00 AM   #4

Really interesting building - and excellent pictures showing it off.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:12 AM   #5

I did an internship with ESRI at their Redlands campus back in 92-93. Those were great times! ESRI sponsored a team I was on for a contest held by Toshiba to invision technology in 20 years. We came up with the idea that ESRI would be the first company to use their geospatial mapping technology to map the human brain and make a human interface device that would convert brain thoughts into action. We developed a nonworking prototype and detailed how the techology would be developed and how it would work. That was an idea I came up with 15 years ago and now look at where medicine is today. Just imagine in 5 more years how close we will be to such a device. Our team got an honorable mention, but did not win the contest and I don't remember what the winning idea was either.

And now 15 years later I use their software with my federal government job.

I really like picture #4.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 2:43 AM   #6

Nice shots..... was out there a few years ago.... but a coughing weasing kid behind me on the flight out had me moderately sick the entire week... didn't do near as much as I would have liked.... but it is a fascinating building.... never got in it, but have some shots somewheres taken from the large hotel just south of it.

Even from a distance an interesting building.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:43 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
seconded!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:15 PM   #8

Very interesting, IO! I always have had an interest in maps & inhigh school(mid '80s), my counselor told me that field couldn't yield a future! Now, I wonder how my life could have been different under better guidance. Anyway, great series! I found myself getting lost in the arches of the #9 shot. I realized then that it reminded me of the launch tube from "The Empire strikes back" ...got to get out of the '80s!!!

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 4:44 PM   #9

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
seconded!

Darren
ditto. been there once as a layover in '90. did not look around.
this is an area where i'm lacking. something for me to think about doing if it ever stops raining..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:58 PM   #10

A curious building captured very well, so sharp, terrific colours.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote