Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:14 PM   #11

Alright, it's done. Camera works fine so far. I guess I got lucky and didnt mess it up lol. Thanks for the help guys. Now I'm ready for the 50-135 even if my bank account isnt lol.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:06 PM   #12

I was really scared the first time I did a firmware update - was just sure I would mess it up. Now it's just routine. In fact, when I was talking to the Pentax rep a while ago, he asked if my K100 had been upgraded. I hadn't bothered because I'm happy using a 1G card. He offered to do it, and a minute or two later, it was done.

The only thing that disappointed me is that they didn't fix the lens reporting line - the lens still doesn't show up in Lightroom. I was sure hoping they would correct that this time around (since it disappeared in version 1.20).

Bring on the new lenses!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:38 AM   #13

Yeah I was SORT OF the first time too... but have done all 4 upgrades now individually (virtually routine now) and then again knew from other battery soft/firmware... the battery not dying was the penultimate important thing.... in fact the the 1.30 upgrade was not a fresh battery but had only shot maybe a dozen shots on it.... knew it would last 90 sec... vs the other in changer pooped before dozen shot shooting on second shortly ended in cam batt would be fine.

Pretty much that is the ONLY thing that will screw up firmware upgradinging, is the battery dying in the middle of it.

And having done ALLi four 1.10, 1.11, 1.20 and 1.30.... in less than 6 mo's (vs Canoon firmaware orig Rebel NEVER upgraded except by hackers that made the original Rebel much of a 10D as haedware allowed) I love that Pentax keeps paying attention to users and keeps doing this as needed.

The dangers are MINIMAL.... the BENEFITS and company contiually doing it for benefit not just begrudging FIX.... is WONDERFUL.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:46 AM   #14

When I first bought my DL last August I read a couple people around here saying they had killed their cams while upgrading their firmware. Scared me. But I did it today and went very well. Once you were kind enough to explain root directory Hayward. Thanks.

Mtngal........I think it's Harriet right? Anyway, tell me about the 50-135. Were the Photos sharp at 2.8 at all the focal lengths? How was the bokeh? Was it a solid feeling lens? Metal construction or plastic? etc. etc. Inquiring minds want to know. Mostly I want to know how sharp it is wide open. I'm mostly interested in portraits and have a couple primes, but a nice zoom *would come in handy for weddings and certain shoots.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 3:03 AM   #15

OK now that you have done it even if you have read the manual front to back....

Again something Pentax has done that the BIG C&N NEVER do they have enhanced the camera.

Go into the the 10D Custom Menu and try ANYTHING you don't remember seeing....

You will be surprised (though obtusely mentioned in the README file) Some very significant functionallity they added to many of the modes via the two adjustment wheels..... and it was the FIRST 1.10 update like little over a month after official release likely ONLY from their beta testers feedback sugestions and OH YEAH that's a great idea and EASY to do.

Again C&N NEVER do that... they'd want to sell you a new higher lever/ supposed hardware revised camera.....

Pentax just ran for the kick off full field return..... why not its EASY. What I love about Pentax so far.... they realize how much they screwed up even in the end of film..... now they see what all the others AREN'T paying attention to in digital ... hey all that takes is a FIRMARE mod.... tjhat's easy and again 4 in 6 mos.... some see that as a bad thing I see that as a WONDERFULL thing.... company paying attention to customers and reviewers/betatesters, and what is EASY to fix.... not a problem necessarily, just a new thought that was initially overlooked and SIMPLE to impement.

And again Big boys C&N NEVER do.

And honestly I think the 100Dgave them a clue but that in combination when actually deliverd on time the K10D MUSHROOM I am sure beyond their wildest expectation.....

Yeah you find chap old PENTAX glass on Ebayany more?

And I am sure they will finally go to that.... new model coming out but for the SLIGHT cost of firmware... and suddenlly finding a GRATEFLUL photo communinity who also felt left behind by the big C&N.... Pentax has positionmed themselves increadably smartly (again givien houw the screwed up in the past)

Screw the thew competition.... and we can just by reconfiguring firmware (not HARDWARE) can give people just what they want without reinvestment ..... EASY FOR US (BRILLIANCE OF THE 10D (even 100D) design.....

OK we screwed up before but watch out for us NOW!

Seems so far C & N are compalcently dozing.... the mistakes Pentax made are one point (Historicaly senior to BOTH... maybe tied with Canon... Nikon iis the new kid)) they aren't going to do again.

Unless HOYA screws them solely for the industrial/medical imaginging side.... they would be pretty dumb to do considering how far Pentax has gone since the new K's introductions... especially the K10D.... promised and DELIVERED as sckeduled again something C&N never do..... the C 40D is where and should have been out when (year + ago like at ATi intro)? Again though Pentax both promised AND delived the 10D right on the mark they bpromised and has taken off.... and for mid level and has C&N really scrambling now.... there aren't even roomers of a 40D any more and mid level Nikon?.

But with Pentax leading the pack with the 10D and BOTH SONY/Minolta and Olympus juming on the internal IS/SR bandwagon.... C&N are going to HAVE to cave in or decide as far as SLR's they are both PRO only companies.... not sure they are really ready to do that PURLY to hang onto the BIG $$ of EVERY lens over and over rebuying IS for slight advantage it might have.... vs 10D/internal SR (again both SONY and Olympus have adopted as well as Pentax)... even 100D works with a 40 year old M42 prime AND SR, (Though A/M Manual zooms are SR problematic/cumbersome... but not withOut and bright enough ligh to not be even an issue YOU EVEN NEED SR BUT STILL A GREAT OLD LENS.)

Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:30 PM   #16

I didn't actually take any pictures with it, just played with it on the Pentax rep's camera (that had the beta version of software on it so the SDM worked). While it's a pretty big lens (what you would expect from a 2.8), it wasn't as heavy as I had expected. And the weight is distributed better than my A*300, which has all it's weight at the front element (77mm thread, LOTS of glass) so it was much easier and more comfortable to hold. The AF is about silent, though to be fair, I was in a busy camera store that had a number of vendor tables set up and lots of people. He had the beep turned off (which I use all the time) and there was just no "feel" of the lens focusing - it just seemed to be there. It was certainly sharp - I had no trouble manually focusing it, either, and it seemed very accurate. It feels solid, but some will probably say it's too light. I didn't check out the build quality/seals that much, since that's actually a secondary benefit for me - I'm looking for a fast, great qualitywalk-around lens to replace my DA 50-200.

I've seen some sample shots on another board and was really impressed with what I saw as far as image quality and bokeh. I'll let you know when I actually get mine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:31 AM   #17

Thanks I appreciate it. Im looking forward to it's release. For the first time in months I have LBA again lol.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:03 AM   #18

Hayward,

Konica/Minolta (now Sony) was the first to implement AS (anti-shake) in a dSLR body.

Olympus was the first in implementing CCD cleaning.

Pentax followed up by implementing both to the K10D.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:36 AM   #19

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Hayward,

Konica/Minolta (now Sony) was the first to implement AS (anti-shake) in a dSLR body.

Olympus was the first in implementing CCD cleaning.

Pentax followed up by implementing both to the K10D.
Yeah but it was all in pretty short order.... though it does surprise me Olympus would add the cleaning before SR as that seems all part of the same thing, and they are the last to the SR thing.

I did know K/M was first by some, sorry I misstated that.... but from reviews I've seen, most say the 10D's is better (somewhat) and now likely actuaslly is what is going into the new 100D Super, as it is adding cleaning as well, and again most reviews mentioned 10D's SR better than 100D's.... and production wise makes sense to now use the same mechanism for both cameras..... and likely when existing stock gone there will only be the 100D Super or maybe then just DS.