Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:49 PM   #1

Well I finally decided what to buy, it was really tough trying to decide but MANY thanks to the guys and gals here for the info and help.

I ordered today:

K10D with the 18-55 Kit lens
SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED lens
2x EXTREME III - SD 2GB
2x 52mm UV Protector Glass Filter
Lowepro Sling Shot 300AW

I figure this will get me started and once I get my rebate I'll probably pick up a 50mm 1.4 and then a flash etc and I'll worry about the fast lenes for my sons games later in the fall, I'm going ot see what i can do with this setup before going any further

I should have it Monday (leaving to go on vacation on Wednesday evening) so I'll have a couple of days to play before I leave. I'm lookng forward to learning as much as I can and taking some great photos

Thanks again guys and gals!
chepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:54 PM   #2

chepburn,
oh, how i feel for you!!
you're on the path of destruction...... lol

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:31 PM   #3

Be sure to play lots with both cards before you leave and make sure they work. I read a letter in a photog magazine about a guy who took a brand new untested card on a vacation and came back with nothing because the card failed. Congrats on your choice, you will enjoy.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4

Welcome to another (almost) Pentaxian! Just noticed that you're from Texas - have you been battling all that horrible weather/rain/flooding, too?

Make sure you read the manual while you are waiting for the battery to charge - it's well worth it because there are lots of different ways of doing things.Or you could download it from Pentax's web site (pdf file, keep it on your computer for the times when you can't remember where you leftit) and get familiar with things before it arrives. Then go out and play with it for a while to make sure you know the basics. You've got a good vacation outfit with what you bought. Get the FA 50mm 1.4 next and use it for your indoor games for a while, before you decide to get another longer fast lens.

And make sure you post some pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:22 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Make sure you read the manual while you are waiting for the battery to charge - it's well worth it because there are lots of different ways of doing things.
And also upgrade the firmware (they are cumulative so just get the most recent (currently 1.30)

Then also AFTER fully ready at least scanning depending on you experience the manual.... JUST PLAY with everything on shots that don't matter.

New firmware has added many modes CM setting functionality settings NOT in the manual that are very useful and more dynamic in functionality..

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:35 AM   #6

Shoot, shoot and shoot until you fill that card, HAVE FUN :-)
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:03 PM   #7
TC3

Congrats!! Unless you bought expensive good quality uv filters i would not put cheap glass on the lenses so be warned. I just use the hood and it protects fine
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:41 PM   #8

Welcome to a long and extremely steep path. I hope you realize that this is just the beginning. (Hm, I guess you do - you bought the Slingshot 300. It holds a lot more than you are starting with.)

Just to make you feel that there is still something to acquire, you might want to look at a circular polarizing filter. Kenko and Hoya seem to be equivalent (same company) and Kenko, where you can find it,can besignificantly cheaper. However, as a rule of thumb (and thumbs seem to be in better repute than our prior governor today), for filters, go for the best. Anything else degrades the lens.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote