Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:02 PM   #1

I am quite taken a back by many of the questions regarding the pro capacity of the K10D. There have been the doubting Thomas's that ask.."Is there a Pro Pentax?" or why doesn't Pentax make a pro camera etc etc etc. The answer is this. The K10D is the Nikon D200 of Pentax. It compares favorably with all of the top end dslr's on the market. So why these insecurities? I think it has more to do with the perceived value of the camera. If it sold for 1500, the public perception would be the contrary. Perhaps Pentax should re-consider their pricing just to satisfy those who perceive value solely by the price tag.

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:21 PM   #2

lol!!
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:57 PM   #3

Shhhhhhhh! Let sleeping fools lie! :-)
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 3:09 AM   #4

or perhaps the "KIng with No Clothes":-)
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Perhaps Pentax should re-consider their pricing just to satisfy those who perceive value solely by the price tag.
Wouldn't work Ben, have you really made a comparisson between a K10d and a PRO camera, especially those strange settings. Sv and ... TAv.

You surely must know that presets are only available on the amateur range. None of the real pro camera's has that setting :shock:

This remark I got when trying to explain the K10d to a pro "@sh*1€" who was explaining me in return what a real pro camera was, oh yes and a pro camera has to have a full size sensor. (just to be sure that you know the brand he was referring to)

So Pentax should ... reconsider pricing, put a full frame sensor in, and remove all the inovation and then you've got a pro, changing there name to kanon or nicon would help to :-)

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:53 AM   #6

Yes..actually I have. I have used the Canon 1D Mkll, D200 and Canon 1Ds Mkll. I was a Canon user and I think they are wonderful tools, but so is the Pentax.

http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:38 PM   #7

I really like that last picture, Ben!

Ronny - That story is just TOO MUCH! It amazes me how many camera stores don't even try to sell Pentax cameras, and actively look down their noses at them. Innovation is a dirty word to them unless it's put out by a company starting with N or C.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:03 PM   #8

A camera is essentially a tool that helps accomplish a specific job. A professional uses tools in order to accomplish a given task or job (possibly making it easier), for which they are paid for. A true professional in what ever field, is usually able to accomplish the job with what ever they have at hand.

I am sure Tiger Wood with a shovel, rake and hoe, could take me (and everyone else here) to the cleaners on any golf course, ir-regardless of the professional level clubs or ball, that we were to use.

Ben with a coffee can camera could embarrasses the lot of us.

In my profession - systems engineering, the safe bet was IBM. You would never get fired by ordering IBM. Way back in the early 70's, you could not get a building full of IBM computers on an airplane (regardless of the size), so I was one of the first to take a calculator chip and try to use it in avionics, resulting in the first microprocessor based avionic system ever (still flying today). You use what you need to use to accomplish the task for the customer - within their budget and time constraints – and producing a profit to stay in business. Well IBM is not the world dominating company it once was. The Microsofts, Intels, Apples have chipped away IBM's mantle. They still make great mainframe systems, along with a lot of other items. Same with cameras.

Professionals examine the task, select appropriate tools that when assembled together will perform the task within the budget, and make a profit. No profit – you will not be a professional for much longer. Thus the selection of appropriate tools for the price is important. Amateurs just figure, that buying what a professional uses, is the safe bet (since they do not understand the difference).

Thus, a lot of this specmanship is pure rubbish. People with too much time and money on their hands, go out and try to buy the absolute best possible, examining every minor aspect of a given item, to the nth degree. They spend a ton of money, hoping that it translates to pointing the camera at something and taking a world class image that everyone wants as a screensaver - or a Time magazine cover. If they fail – well they did not have the latest and greatest gizmo that would have fixed it. Then to save their embarrassment, they have to compare every other system to their selection, with the admonition that - this is the best because it cost so much and all the professionals use this brand.

Pentax has provided us with a great combination of features and capabilities rolled together as a K10 or K100 and priced them in a range where we are able to afford to buy them with out mortgaging the wife and kids. We can also afford to acquire lenses that, if not absolutely world class, are so extremely close that it is near impossible to tell the difference.

So in the end, it comes down to the actual end product – the picture. Even through my coke bottle glasses, I have sitting on my nose, the images on this forum look absolutely stunning compared to any of the other forums.

In the end it's the person behind the camera, their eye, imagination, ingenuity and ability – and also a good subject (usually helps).

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:57 AM   #9

I tend to agree with you "regardless" of the camera used. All of the new DSLR's can IMO produce an output that would have made users awe struck only a few years ago. Remember the 1Ds and the price. Look where we are now. I once did a shoot with a circa 2002-3 Canon 5 mega pixel G5, because it had a hot shoe could shoot RAW and I figured why not given the support it was used for...

Ben
http://www.benjaminkanarek.com

PS: Here is a sample shot with the point and shoot G5 in RAW.
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:06 AM   #10

ben,
exif says casio not canon.
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote