Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:40 PM   #1

Hello everyone. I've been following this forum for a few months but haven't posted yet. Well now I need help!

I have a K10D and recently got a Kalt adapter (w/ key) and a manual lens. The adapter is stuck.

I tried pushing the spring in (towards the center on the mount, not away) then pressing the release buton and turning the adapter with the key. I'm using the end of the key that has the small tip to press on the spring. The adapter turns around 1/8" and stops.

What am I doing wrong? I should have removed that damn spring.

Thanks.

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:01 PM   #2

Got it. Well that was no fun.

For anyone else who has this problem here's what you need to do:

insert the key depressing the spring. Start turning.Once it stops you must lift the key out and continue. Otherwise the key inself will hit the stopper.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:54 PM   #3

bruder wrote:
Quote:
Got it. Well that was no fun.

For anyone else who has this problem here's what you need to do:

insert the key depressing the spring. Start turning.Once it stops you must lift the key out and continue. Otherwise the key inself will hit the stopper.
Glad you found the secret. Be nice if Kalt supplied really good instructions with the Adapter. I removed all those springs myself but since I'm Loc-tite-ing them all in place I won't need the spring. I'll cut a slot for the catch pin to seat in. If you only have one adapter for more than one lens it is a good idea to keep that spring in place and follow what you have done to remove the adapter. I will tag this post from you for future reference when someone else runs into this problem. Have fun with the old lenses...I know I do.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:41 AM   #4

Since I only have one m42 lens, and the removal process is fairly cumbersome, I just removed the spring from the adapter (it's held on by a very small screw) and will use the lens without the benefit of that satisfying click. Unfortunately, I can't drill a notch because the lens is tapered at the screw mount end. I'll save the screw and spring in case I need it again. Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 3:23 AM   #5

Hi,
You'll just need to be sure that the lens doesn't fall off, it has happened to people who post here ... so be careful. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the warning. I realize this is risky, but there's also the risk of screwing up while removing the adapter. I'm trying to think of a way to lock the lens on even though the mount is tapered metal. Perhapsa dab of epoxy or superglue in just the right place. Any ideas?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:25 AM   #7

bruder wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the warning. I realize this is risky, but there's also the risk of screwing up while removing the adapter. I'm trying to think of a way to lock the lens on even though the mount is tapered metal. Perhapsa dab of epoxy or superglue in just the right place. Any ideas?
Well !, like you I have the same problem of lens bases not being wide enough to drill so as to engage the locking pin, I have 4 X M42 lenses, and only 1 is wide enough to drill, so I got an el cheapo flush adaptor ring from Hong Kong similar to a Kood, and retained the spring. I've eased the fitting of the ring by lightly sanding down the circumference with 400 grit wet & dry ... this is much easier to fit now, and I'll probably do the same wth a Kood ring that I have. I also have an adaptor that doesn't allow infinity focus which fits just as a normal K mount lens would, and is so much easier to use. When you think about it, you don't need infinity focus most of the time ... at least I find I don't since my prime interest is in macro and close-up shots. Probably only landscape shots would require the extreme focus. That's my 2 cents worth. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote