Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:48 PM   #1

I was planning on getting some shots of our local fireworks last friday with my 4 month old k10 using a tripod, 12 sec timer (no remote yet), 3-6 sec exposure, and the kit lens. What I got was very interesting but NOT a good picture. I have done a few long exposures before with good turnout but that day we couldn't get anything steady even before the fireworks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cmurphy....93208813415538

http://picasaweb.google.com/cmurphy....93419266813122

this last one is before the fireworks but with the same setup.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cmurphy....93131504004130

Also, during long exposures my camera clicks. I assume this is supposed to happen, but I have never played with another dslr with long exposures.

What do you guys think?

Correction: the first and last image was with a sigma 70-300 lens. the second is with the kit lens. Also, I tried SR and got the same results, but I don't remember which had SR on.
craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:01 PM   #2

Did you have SR turned on when you were doing the fireworks? Your results are VERY strange, I wonder about the sensor moving at an odd time or something. I haven't done anything longer than about 1 sec. exposure, so I wouldn't consider myself experienced at all. I just don't think your pictures are right (though the unexpected results are kind-of cool, though).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:59 PM   #3

How odd. Prolonged elevation of the mirror is required for manual sensor cleaning, as well as for long exposures. One thing has nothing to do with the other, but itdid lead me towonder wonder if it is possible that the dust removal circuit could somehow have gotten activated under those conditions, causing vibration of the sensor? Just a guess. I know itshouldn't happen, but . . . .
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:08 PM   #4

it's definately camera movement and overexposure . i would not have used the 12 second delay but the 2sec mirror lockup if that's what the k10 offers.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:25 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
it's definately camera movement and overexposure . i would not have used the 12 second delay but the 2sec mirror lockup if that's what the k10 offers.
Mine has a 2 second timer with mirror lockup unless I read the directions wrong. One thing about VR, IS SR is that if the camera can't find any movement to react to it will go hunting it and this will cause resonance of the camera and tripod. Thus the manual tells you not to use it when on a tripod. All cameras with this feature will tell you to shut it off for tripod shots. The longer it sits there with no movement the more it hunts for movement. With fire works try this next time...
Use a cable release and tripod. Use the cable release so you can follow the path of the fireworks going up to time the shot properly and to reduce vibration from pushing the shutter release with you finger.
Use a zoom lens (preferably 200mm or more) to get up tight with the explosions to capture just the fireworks themselves.
Use manual mode. Set the camera to these settings...4 seconds exposure and f/11. Try a test shot and if it is over exposed then change the shutter speed to 3 seconds. Also if the camera has bulb mode you can just hold the shutter open at the beginning of the explosion and then release it after the trailers have started to disappear.

Try it and see if you like it, but remember to shut off Shake Reduction first.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:05 PM   #6

I appreciate the help, but I don't think you get the question. I know that it is a bad picture. I know it is because the camera or something in the camera moved. I am 99% sure I did not move the camera in the pattern shown. It is a periodic jump that i couldn't have timed if i tried. Also, I know I'm not supposed to have the SR on when I'm on the tripod, but when I look at the results I tried a few with it on.so I will try again.

First, is my Pentax k10 supposed to click when I have long exposure?
Has anyone ever seen these kinds of results?
Is my camera broken???

THanks in advance.

Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7

craiger wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate the help, but I don't think you get the question. I know that it is a bad picture. I know it is because the camera or something in the camera moved. I am 99% sure I did not move the camera in the pattern shown. It is a periodic jump that i couldn't have timed if i tried. Also, I know I'm not supposed to have the SR on when I'm on the tripod, but when I look at the results I tried a few with it on.so I will try again.

First, is my Pentax k10 supposed to click when I have long exposure?
Has anyone ever seen these kinds of results?
Is my camera broken???

THanks in advance.
Tried it with mine and there are two noises only after the timer times out...the mirror going up as the shutter opens and then the shutter closing after it times out. That is all.
I then set it for a 2 second timer and locked the mirror up. There is a sound as the timer times out that must be the shutter opening the a little click sound. After timing out the shutter closes again.

What can I say there are a few noises but they all seem to have a place.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:23 PM   #8
PDL

I point the finger at SR - which should be shut off when using a tripod. The images do show a periodic sensor movement - either SR was on or the earth moved. This tripod was not sitting on a woofer was it?

When I shoot fireworks - set it on bulb - press the shutter for 4 - 6 seconds. Wait for the sound of the shot and have a reasonable knowledge of where the burst will occur. Of course I shoot it hand held ADF (Any D*mn Fool) can set up a tripod and get "the standard" fireworks shot - not that they are bad or wrong - I just want to put my stamp on it.

PDL

*ist DS, kit Lens at 55mm, ISO 1600, 5.6 seconds f/8 hand held.

Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Balloon Glow ®

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:28 PM   #9

I started with the SR OFF... Then I tried it on to see what happened. In the pictures above the SR was OFF.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 12:13 AM   #10

You can see the same effect in your last picture, the one before the fireworks - there's a ghost image above the main exposure image. Thinking about that led me to another thing that has to do with your use of the 12 sec. timer instead of the 2 sec. timer.

How steady was that tripod? The reason I ask is that if you use the 2 sec. timer, the mirror is locked up immediately (loud click), then there's a softer click when the shutter is opened, then a final loud click when the shutter closes and the mirror drops back down. However, there's no advance mirror lock-up with the 12 sec. timer. And I think it does make some type of noise during the 12 seconds - I've only used it once and don't really remember. I think it might be possible that what's happening is that the camera is jumping slightlywhen the mirror locks up, then goes back down for the rest of the exposure.

Before sending your camera in for repair, put it back on the sametripod and try long exposures withboth methodsand the SR off (by the way, the first time I used a tripod I forgot to turn the SR off, and it didn't make much difference in my pictures). See if you get the same thing using a 2 sec. delay. Then try the same thing with the camera resting on a table. I wouldn't be surprised if the effect was caused by the camera moving when the mirror locked up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote