Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2007, 1:11 AM   #1

Dawg

Still need a tripod!!
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:25 AM   #2

Lovely flower, that tripod would make a big difference to you and your shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:59 AM   #3

Trick I learned for near or true macro and you are unsing an A or M lens.... which requires manual SR FL set.... LIE tell it it is a much longer.... as effectively it is in a negative sense, but the higher degree of small being larger movement. (I wish there was a manual override that F and FA lenses but there isn't other than to tape over the date terminal.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:40 AM   #4

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Trick I learned for near or true macro and you are unsing an A or M lens.... which requires manual SR FL set.... LIE tell it it is a much longer.... as effectively it is in a negative sense, but the higher degree of small being larger movement. (I wish there was a manual override that F and FA lenses but there isn't other than to tape over the date terminal.
These were with the Vivitar series one lens and an old geezer.... that's me...trying to squat down and get a clean crisp photo...Didn't happen here. Got a soft focus one because I wasn't quite far enough back to get it sharp focused. Even then I liked these as they are a favorite of the wife. Need a good tripod...am trying right now to get one...wish me luck...Oh yeah ..is there a preference anyone has for a tripod head?? I use heavy lens a lot so I'll need a sturdy one. Plan one day to go medium format as well...needs to hold around 12 lbs or so.

Dawg
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5

Hey BigDawg

As far as a tripod head is concerned, you defineatly get what you pay for..

Having recently gone through the angst of deciding how much to spend on a tripod and head combination, I came to the conclusion to purchase a moderately priced aluminum tripod with an expensive ball head..

Reading many posts on this forum, as well as dpReview & others, I saw that the norm was for people to purchase an inexpensive tripod (below $30-50.00), and then upgrade several times as their needs (camera & lens weights) grew..

I went to several local camera stores to get a feel for the styles & quality of variously priced tripod heads..The more expensive ones defineatly work& adjust more smoothly, especially the tension adjustments..

Can I assume from several things that you have mentioned in other posts that you are a machinist, or have machinist skills??..If so you will appreciate the workmanship that is in the better ball heads such as RRS, Markins, Kirk, & Arca-Swiss..

I decided to "bite-the-bullet" & spend the bucks for the Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro ball head..This model has a large, easy-to-use, thumbscrew-style QR instead of the more typical lever-style QR..The thumbscrew style QR allows the use of many more brands of Arca-Swiss-style QR plates then does the lever-style QR..I find the thumbscrew-style QR only slightly less convienent than the lever-style..( half a point on a 1-10 scale)

The workmanship in the RRS ball head is superb (I was a machinist for three years in my youth)..The tension adjustments are so smooth that it takes awile to get used to just how little one has to turn the adjustment screws to achieve sufficient tension to prevent movement..There is a quantum difference between this tripod head & the inexpensive one that I previously used (inherited)

I would go to a good camera store & see if they have in stock the more exspensive ball heads to sample..Or if they don't, perhaps they could set up an appointmentbetween you &a customer who has one..Then do your comparisons with less expensive ones to see if the extra cost is worth it to you..

I know it was for me..Although at the time I was wishing to spend less on the ball head & more on lenses / flash..

Bruce

P.S. I purchased the Giottos MT-9360 aluminum Tripod thru B & H..This tripod is tall enough that with the ball head installed, the legs extended, and the center column not extended I am able to look comfortably through the viewfinder of the K10D while standing upright..

I am 5 ft. 9 in. tall & this was one of the major criteria that I had when deciding on a tripod..On uneven ground (depending on the pitch of the slope) I will have approximately 3-4 inches before having to squat uncomfortably..

This tripod has the ability to reverse the center column, as well as the top of the tripod flips to the side 90 degrees to allow for low-level / macro work..

P.P.S. I usually try & give the local shop my business..They just did not have in stock what I needed, so that is why I purchased the tripod from B & H..(I was in a time crunch)
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:42 AM   #6

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Hey BigDawg

As far as a tripod head is concerned, you defineatly get what you pay for..

Having recently gone through the angst of deciding how much to spend on a tripod and head combination, I came to the conclusion to purchase a moderately priced aluminum tripod with an expensive ball head..

Reading many posts on this forum, as well as dpReview & others, I saw that the norm was for people to purchase an inexpensive tripod (below $30-50.00), and then upgrade several times as their needs (camera & lens weights) grew..

I went to several local camera stores to get a feel for the styles & quality of variously priced tripod heads..The more expensive ones defineatly work& adjust more smoothly, especially the tension adjustments..

Can I assume from several things that you have mentioned in other posts that you are a machinist, or have machinist skills??..If so you will appreciate the workmanship that is in the better ball heads such as RRS, Markins, Kirk, & Arca-Swiss..

I decided to "bite-the-bullet" & spend the bucks for the Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro ball head..This model has a large, easy-to-use, thumbscrew-style QR instead of the more typical lever-style QR..The thumbscrew style QR allows the use of many more brands of Arca-Swiss-style QR plates then does the lever-style QR..I find the thumbscrew-style QR only slightly less convienent than the lever-style..( half a point on a 1-10 scale)

The workmanship in the RRS ball head is superb (I was a machinist for three years in my youth)..The tension adjustments are so smooth that it takes awile to get used to just how little one has to turn the adjustment screws to achieve sufficient tension to prevent movement..There is a quantum difference between this tripod head & the inexpensive one that I previously used (inherited)

I would go to a good camera store & see if they have in stock the more exspensive ball heads to sample..Or if they don't, perhaps they could set up an appointmentbetween you &a customer who has one..Then do your comparisons with less expensive ones to see if the extra cost is worth it to you..

I know it was for me..Although at the time I was wishing to spend less on the ball head & more on lenses / flash..

Bruce

P.S. I purchased the Giottos MT-9360 aluminum Tripod thru B & H..This tripod is tall enough that with the ball head installed, the legs extended, and the center column not extended I am able to look comfortably through the viewfinder of the K10D while standing upright..

I am 5 ft. 9 in. tall & this was one of the major criteria that I had when deciding on a tripod..On uneven ground (depending on the pitch of the slope) I will have approximately 3-4 inches before having to squat uncomfortably..

This tripod has the ability to reverse the center column, as well as the top of the tripod flips to the side 90 degrees to allow for low-level / macro work..
Balto thank you for your input. I too am a believer in a quality and heavier tripod. On my recent beach trip I got to use a Manfrotto tripod with a thumb screw adjustable tilt and pan head. It was used mainly to hold a large format antique camrea but was loaned to me for a few minutes to see how I liked it. I loved it!!! I'm looking at a 3021B Pro tripod from Bogen/Manfrotto. I believe the lowest price with what I need is around 198 US or so from B&H. It does the same things as the one you have but will allow my 6 foot 2 inch stature to still see the viewfinder without bending over a lot. It is heavy but not as heavy as my Rifle or Shot Gun and I've been known to tote one of those for miles and miles. Again many thanks and I will be looking at the ones you suggested. I may have more questions as my experience is mainly with one of those 30-50 dollar ones you mentioned.

Dawg