Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:18 PM   #21

Hello. I agree wholeheartedly that Raw is the best way to go but i think ill give the Raw + jpg a go depending on what im doing. Space is not a problem for me when takingRaw but its easier to have a look at them and check out your results. Get rid of all the bad ones straight off and if there is some exceptional jpg ones, keep them. Still have the Raw to play around with. Shooting in raw at a wedding last weekend, i ended up with over 13 gb when processed to tif files. Was a lot of processing but then again, was a wedding. I enjoy reading your comments. Cheers Keith
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:15 PM   #22

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
The rest goes in the bin. At some stage I realized that my not yet born grandchildren will have cameras of their own. They might be delighted if I leave hundreds of pictures behind, but will never bother to go through 30-40 thousand.

Kjell
Well ya know I will disagree with you on that... (imagine that )

Having had my parent's photo albums to go through upon there long lived deaths...(87 and 93) and even their parents befor late 1800's to early 1900's even up to the 50's

I wish there was MUCH more and they could have had digital capability then.

I can scan through hundreds of images in short time... but to find one not discarded for not being perfect.... but shows something unique... a keeper even if imprerfect.

And that I have 16mm motion pictures of my mothers father who died when she was 13 form the 1920's is PRICELESS as imprefect asd it might be. (Since transfered to TAPE while I worke in TV and since to DVD.

And when married my father, took the camera and used it for our family films until about the late 60's's and I still have that antique 16mm camera (in the 1920's cost near $200 a MAJOR investment in that day's dollars) Bell and Howell (when it was a REAL company) camera to this day... one of a very a few family valuable things that stayed above Hurricane Wilma's flood waters.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:39 AM   #23

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Keithw wrote:
Quote:
Kjell - I also use my old 40Gb iRiver MP3 player that has a USB port.

Does it have card slots, so you can download from your card?????

Kjell
Alas, no. It is primarily an MP3 player. But it does have a mini USB socket to allow it to act as a host. So it's a case of plugging in therelevabt USB cable and attaching a card reader.

Not as neat as a photo bank but it does the job, albeit slowly at 12Mbps!

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:22 PM   #24

I am going to run counter to the prevailing stream and say I am pretty happy with the jpegs my k100 produces. I have, and continue to, play with RAW but I find converting the images to be a tedious and time consuming chore, especially when the K100 produces really good jpeg images already. Unlike Ira, I can't blame my computer. It is 18 months old but I built it as a computer gaming powerhouse and it has all the power it needs for Raw processing. My problem is that it takes ME too long.

I am trying my fourth RAW converter (RAW Therapee, suggested by Gazander) and will probably go ahead and buy Lightroom soon as I have liked it the best so far. I think it is as much a mindset issue as anything; some people seem to enjoy that aspect of digital photography, for me it is a not so necessary evil.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:29 PM   #25

Gonna stay with Jpeg a while longer.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 6:44 AM   #26

Since RAW is a proprietary format (DNG notwithstanding) the issue with RAW files is one of obsolescence. There are alreadyhigh quality DSLRs out there that are no longer supported by new software, this means that the original converter program that came with the camera may be all that is left. Granted that a little digging will usually find software that will work, but remember I am not talking about 20 years here, I am talking about less then 10 years. Although I doubt that we will see a sudden disappearance of Pentax PEF compatible software, we will find that it is much easier to get software that will effectively deal with jpeg images because of their proliferation.

Right now I use jpeg, primarily because of low computer performance. I would prefer to shoot RAW files if I had the facility to deal with them quickly, I do not. My point however is that, even if you only shoot RAW, you should store high quality, low compression jpegs of all of your best files, just in case!

Caution, soapbox ahead.

I have not spent much time on this forum of late and I must say I am a little concerned about the "new direction" some of the discussions have been taking. This is a forum that was probably most appreciated for its lack of opinionated responses and pointless arguments. This forum dealt with a love of photography, and constructive criticism. If you are among those who would "rather argue than eat" and will endlessly debate trivial points of semantics, "just because..." might I suggest that, instead of diluting the integrity of this forum you find one more attune to your needs.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:57 PM   #27

For those of you who like to shoot RAW but are concerned about either the file space issue or the possibility of future obsolescence, I suggest you download the free DNG converter from Adobe. I find that with my K100D PEF files, it cuts the file sizes in half using lossless compression, and being Adobe DNG files they should be pretty future-proof.

I personally prefer shooting mostly in RAW and converting them through Adobe ACR, and through experimentation found a technique for converting them that I don't find very time consuming at all. Here's a link to a topic I posted about it: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=78

Getting an efficient workflow that you're comfortable with is the key. There are a lot of programs that can convert a RAW, but with most the process can be rather clunky and slow-going when you have a lot of images. I find that using Picasa as an image browser and ACR as a RAW converter is a very quick and comfortable way to go.

One alternative that I also like, and is completely free, is to use Lightzone. It's commercial software but they give it away for free for Linux. It's rather simple to use and quite powerful, and has a decent built in image browser so it's an all in one solution, though when an image requires more intensive alterations it can be taken into the Gimp afterwards.

http://www-old.lightcrafts.com/linux/
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:08 AM   #28

Hello Pentaxians,

Today I decided once again to shoot Raw DNG...which was converted by my photo organizer Picasa software to JPEG...I add the frame trough my lovely PSP-9.01 software.

All of us know...that CAN'T be mail Raw originals, so all are converted to JPEG...so WHY...to have such Brobdingnagian files???.

Here is my today example, trusting that you will love it...:?

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:34 AM   #29

Alex 007

You have certainly revived an old topic here. Very nice shot and treatment.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:47 AM   #30

Hi Ira,

Yes just now I saw the date...I'm adding another one from today!

Be well & long live to Pentax factory!!!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote