Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:18 AM   #1

Hello all...

The RAW vs JPEG Debate is one that has been raging for quite some time now. I wish to share with you some of my own observations and how it might aid in your decision as to which to choose. It will not be a technical discourse as I am not in a position to do so. It will be based on my observations and how the decision will affect the final outcome i.e. the print media.

RAW is akin to a recording that is done directly to Pro Tools without compresssion and JPEG is what that recording might sound like after converting the signal for MP3 listening. That signal has been compressed and as a result has lost some of the high end and low end definition as well as the dynaamic range. This anolgy can be directly transposed to visual media. In photography RAW is the pure unadulterated signal. Now why would anyone even consider JPEG unless they felt that their image was not worthy of that kind of rendition. It should not come down to a question of memory or cost of storage etc. It is an image that merits the best resolution possible that may in the future be used for a support that needs the kind of resolution that only RAW can provide.

You may think.."Well it is only a snap shot." Well todays snapshot may be tomorrows historical archive. You are leaving a trace of history for future generations to view. Give your image the respect it deserves. Shoot in RAW...
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:25 AM   #2

There are times when the quality of raw is not the best overall choice, particularly when shooting sports.

For a day or weekend at the track and deadlines are tight I choose JPEG.

When shooting for most other purposes I allway use RAW.

http://digital-photography.suite101....ats_raw_v_jpeg
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:47 AM   #3

philneast wrote:
Quote:
There are times when the quality of raw is not the best overall choice, particularly when shooting sports.

Hello philneast

When shooting sports or other fast-paced photography, why is RAW not the choice for you??..

I have been following the RAW vs. JPEG debate since I purchased my K10D in April..

I understand the compressed vs. not compressed issue, but why is it that people shooting sports, etc. don't use RAW..

Is it because the technology in the cameras computer will not allow the computer to write to the card quickly enough w/o a time lag that is unacceptable to the photographer??..

If so, that would seem to make it the technology's fault, not the process of RAW itself..

Just wondering??..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:45 PM   #4

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
philneast wrote:
Quote:

Hello philneast

When shooting sports or other fast-paced photography, why is RAW not the choice for you??..

I have been following the RAW vs. JPEG debate since I purchased my K10D in April..

I understand the compressed vs. not compressed issue, but why is it that people shooting sports, etc. don't use RAW..

Is it because the technology in the cameras computer will not allow the computer to write to the card quickly enough w/o a time lag that is unacceptable to the photographer??..

If so, that would seem to make it the technology's fault, not the process of RAW itself..

Just wondering??..

Bruce
I would guess that the key word here is "deadline".

RAW takes time to process and then convert before emailing to a publisher/printer.

JPG if shot correctly can come straight out of the camera and be sent over the ether in seconds.

Just my opinion, of course!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:33 PM   #5

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
philneast wrote:
Quote:

Hello philneast

Just wondering??..

Bruce
I would guess that the key word here is "deadline".

RAW takes time to process and then convert before emailing to a publisher/printer.

JPG if shot correctly can come straight out of the camera and be sent over the ether in seconds.

Just my opinion, of course!

Darren
Darren

That makes sense..

Do all images have to be compressed in order to be sent over the internet??..

Or does compressing just allow them to be sent faster as the file is smaller??..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:58 PM   #6

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
Or does compressing just allow them to be sent faster as the file is smaller??..
Yes
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:29 PM   #7

Same thread also running here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=78
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:44 PM   #8

Bruce

Time and space.

As Darren pointed out the in-camera processing of jpegs and their smaller size makes it quicker to sort and process a large number of images.

On a full days shootingI at a track I can shoot over a thousand images so space also becomes an issue.

On my DS a 1G card holds about 90 RAW images, at top quality jpeg I get over 300 on the same card.

The jpeg quality is acceptable to newspaper and motosrport magazine publishers.

But for your best shots shoot RAW

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:31 AM   #9

benjikan wrote:
Quote:
Hello all...

The RAW vs JPEG Debate is one that has been raging for quite some time now
Well some rage easier than others....

Personally one reason I really like the K10D's JPEG + RAW mode and one dedicated button on demand.

A shot I think RAW might be good on hit the button and shoot.... turns out the JPG is good enough.... just trash the RAW.... vs versa trash the JPEG and work on the RAW...

You have the choice of both.... and compared to the RAW file... that added JPEG doesn't add that much memory eating.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:55 AM   #10

Personally, now that I havee option, I shoot RAW+ all the time. As Hayward says, the JPG adds little to the memory overhead, plus although I have 4x 4Gb SDHC cards, I have yet to use more than 2 on a days shoot.

The only exception is when I go to a tourisety type thing, like the medieval weekend, where I just want to shoot all day, then I shoot JPG - but that is very rare now.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote