Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:03 AM   #11

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful pictures of wonderful birds (esp. their voices:-)). Are these somewhat tame so they allow you to get near?

Kjell
Thank You, yes they can be deafening. They are wild birds that know where to get a good feed during our drought. I can get about arms length close to them and one will eat out of the cup of seed I'm holding. You have to be careful though as those beaks could easily cleanly take off a mans thumb.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:12 AM   #12

an excellent set of photos

i like the last one with the crest up, great detail

we get corellas which arent as big (but just as noisy i think)

and dont let you get to close
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:13 AM   #13

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
You have to be careful though as those beaks could easily cleanly take off a mans thumb.
They can, but they can also peel the shell of a blueberry seed and eat the seed inside. I've had the somewhat smaller Orange Crested Cocatoo as pets, they did that.

(I don't know if blueberrys are familiar to Aussies and people living in tropical climates. The berrys themselveshave a diametre of7-8 mm, and one berry contains a multitude of seeds that are less than a half mm wide.)
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:57 AM   #14

Did these birds signs all of the correcct release forms before submitting to these portraits. They certainly pose professiionally enough.

Great shots.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:40 PM   #15

I have those big yellow passionfruit and the cockatoos come and feed on them. One day they flew up on the neigbours roof to enjoy there feast. After finnishing one of them, one bird dropped the skin on the roof. I yelled out "dont do that, you will get me into trouble". The cockatoo picked it up again, walked over to the side and dropped it on to the lawn. Quite funny i thought. Keith
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote