Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 14, 2007, 5:10 AM   #11

I'm new to this whole digital photography thing, and I have to say, once I saw what a 100% crop was the first time I had no problem understanding it from then on. To me it seems like more of an abreviation for what it really is, something that is very common in English. As you say, if you were to use "clip" then resolution would be implied, and when others use the word "crop" it is implied that it is only part of the whole image. Each way you are implying something about the image.

Also to get into the definitions of crop and clip, you will see that they are actually synonyms of each other, and for the definition of crop as to photography it just says: "to cut off or mask the unwanted parts of (a print or negative)". I couldn't find clip as refered to in photography in any dictionary (I don't have the OED). Just, "to trim by cutting". Well there is, "to cut articles or pictures from a newspaper, magazine, etc", but I don't think that applies here.

There are probably a million things in the Enlish language that make less sense than a 100% crop.
Mcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 6:40 AM   #12

Quite right Hayward. As ususal your intellect is way above ours in this and all matters.

However, convention suggests that contactions get used a lot. 100% res crop, becoming a 100% crop. This is the same as "can not" becoming "can't".

When it comes to Jargon and subject specifics, the dictionary largely goes out the window. Ignore the actual word and concentrate on what it is intended to mean.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 6:53 PM   #13

II,AIMGA
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:00 PM   #14

I am going to have to agree, when you first see 100% crop, you probably won't know exactly what is meant. But in the same fact, most non-photographers/newbies won't know what is meant by most of the things mentioned on this forum including bokeh, DOF, "crop factor", EFL, TTL, PTTL, ETTL, flash metering or even some of the easier things such as apertures, shutter speeds, ISO sensitivity, underexposure, oroverexposure. Everything must be learned andaword/phrasethat is commonly known by people with some knowledgeor understandingof the field is probably not going to change because Joe Somebody thinks it should be renamed to meet his standards.

And honestly, what could be better than coming back to such a happy forum? I'm so glad that we all finally quit ignoring our problem and faced it. I can't wait to see how many people come out of the dark and say how they actually feel about this guy. Honestly, I don't have anything against Hayward asa human, but some of the BS this guy comes up with is ridiculous. (And his typo's don't help the fact)

I don't like to call people out, but you have pushed me to this (and judging by this thread, I'm not the only one)

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 9:14 PM   #15

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Quite right Hayward. As ususal your intellect is way above ours in this and all matters.

However, convention suggests that contactions get used a lot. 100% res crop, becoming a 100% crop. This is the same as "can not" becoming "can't".

When it comes to Jargon and subject specifics, the dictionary largely goes out the window. Ignore the actual word and concentrate on what it is intended to mean.

Darren
Right on!! (1960's slang) Darren!!!

I am going to apoligise in advance to Steve and all of the members of the forum for the following post in the advent that I break any rules, & or offend anyone---I have spent much time deliberating whether or not to speak to this issue in the public on this forum, & have decided that even at the risk of being banned, something needs to be said---Since I am an upfront kind of person I choose not to speak to Hayward through a PM, instead here in the forum so everyone can know how I feel..

There is MUCH less of the nitpicking that has been going on during this thread here at Steve's Digicams, than you tend to find at some other forums..

That being said, I really can not, cannot, can't (toungue-in-cheek humour Darren!!) understand why some folks (this means you, Hayward)find it absolutely necessary to go through incredibly long-winded, grammatically hard to read explanations over something like the term "100% Crop"..

As several posters above have demonstrated, a several sentence paragraph answer is all that is needed to explain "100% Crop" to the uninnitiated..

What most people new to any expensive, complex hobby like digital photography (and since I consider myself a NEWBIE, I include myself in this category) want when they post a question is a brief, informative answer that is to the point..

What many posters (myself included) get when they post a question are the following:

1. Answers like " Read the manual!!"-- No salutation--No signature--No politeness, just very curt, bordering on rudeness--While sometimes (much of the time) this isthe proper response (as reading the manual & experimenting really is the only way to learn about the camera) there is a polite, courteous way to formulate a response, as well as a rude way..

2. Off-topic answers--People posting who have no knowledge or advice about whatever topic the OP has asked---OR, people who read the post which starts them thinking & posting about something else..

This issometimes related to the original post, & sometimes not---Either way the OP is not getting their question answered---Which means that although they may have learned something useful (I figure that at LEAST 50% of everything I have learned about digital photography has been from off-topic posts), they are not necessarily learning what they want (need) to know when they are asking..

3. Hard to read answers---These fall into two categories--The long post with no breaks for paragraphs, and sometimes no punctuation marks---When I first started posting here I was one of these people..

Since I had virtually zero knowledge of computers, & no experience with word processing I did not know what keys to use to set a paragraph---So all of my early posts were hard to read---Even I found them so---I should have asked the forum how to set a paragraph, but I was too embaressed to do so..

However, one of the regulars on this forum had no problem sending me a fairly rude, bordering on the nasty PM criticising me for running everything together---Even though I was pretty mad at the tenor of this PM, I did undertake to figure out how to not run all of my sentences together..

As a result all of my subsequent posts were easy to read..

4. The second type of hard to read answer applies primarily to Hayward---I know from the material in your posts that you are an intelligent person with a pretty good grasp of photography---However, the majority of your posts are incredibly difficult to read & understand..

There is muchinformation that you have to educate those of us who are less knowledgeable---The problem is that your posts are so gramatically hard to understand that we often cannot understand whatever point it is that you are trying to make..

Many, many times I have read one of your posts 4, 5, 6 or more times, only to give up as I often don't have the knowledge to decipher your post---Sometimes it is only when some other poster with a betterway of communicatingregardingwhatever topic indigital photography being discussed has replied to you, that the "Light Bulb" goes on & I finally get what it is that you are trying to say..

So I am asking you to PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Haywardundertake to make your answers easier to understand---What is the purpose of posting information if the newcomers to digital photography cannot figure out what you are trying to communicate??

I fully understand that you are probably going to be angry at what I have said---However, I am not trying to be confrontational, ignorant, or rude to you, even though you may percieve it to be so---I am simply trying to get you to clean up your posts so that everyone will be able to understand the post & may benefit from your knowledge..

Sincerly, Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 10:08 PM   #16

what a DA post!!
hopefully any newbs will be able to see this.

II,AIMGA
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:58 PM   #17

OK Roy, I will bite. What does II AIMGA mean. Googling only turned up the Alberta Int'l Medical Group Association or some such. As an old computer junkie the Apple II and Amiga come to mind, but I doubt that it is either.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:50 PM   #18

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
OK Roy, I will bite. What does II AIMGA mean. Googling only turned up the Alberta Int'l Medical Group Association or some such. As an old computer junkie the Apple II and Amiga come to mind, but I doubt that it is either.

Tim
Okay, I will admit... I had to ask too and for anyone else wondering... "Ignore It, And It Might Go Away!"
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:05 PM   #19
PDL

Gee - I always shoot and display full frame -I do not "crop" at all.

(Will this start another flame war over what Full Frame means?)

------- Sorry ------ just had to poke in here.

Hayward - there is a spell check on the far right had side of the posting reply box. Please learn to use it as it is difficult to take you seriously when you do not even try to get the words right. I have also asked you in the past to lose the all caps. That is the equivalent of yelling.

PDL

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote