Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1

I finally remembered to write to Pentax about the dark photos when batteries run down issue I've been having. Although, last week when I started getting dark photos I checked the batteries when I got home and they signaled they were still plenty charged. These particular ones have never gone into the "full" charged area on the tester. Haven't figured out if it's the cheap dial tester or the fact that the batteries may not have been charged enough times. Maybe only two times each on the three sets I have.

They wrote back and said to try a totally different kind of battery and see what happens. If it continues, to return the camera to them to be checked.

I purchased it a year ago (I think 31 Jul) and am quickly running out of time to meeet my warranty date. On top of, I'm not sure I can live without my camera in hand. I take it with me every where any more.:sad:

Anyone had to return their camera to Pentax yet? Is it better for me to ship directly to them or go back to my camera store who I believe is a dealer for them?

Camerais the K100D. Was probably one of the first ones issued as I bought the first one I saw in a store and had been watching for a month.

I've been using the Rayovac Hybrid 2100mAh rechargeables for a few months now. I had been using CRV3's. Don't remember it happening with them, but..... Bought a set of Rite Aide alkalines to take to NJ to visit my grandchild for the first time this weekend. I'm sure I'll take plenty of photos to run these batteries down before the weekend is out.:-)

Anyway, any thoughts or sympathies appreciated. First withdrawal symptoms from no forum for days and now the thought of no camera. Yikes!

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2

Good luck with it! Pentax prefers you ship directly to them, rather than going through the store (unless its a return). If you send it in, you are their customer and they will contact you directly if they have questions. If you send it in through a camera store, the store is their customer, they can't contact you directly (that's what one of their customer service people explained to me when I was thinking about sending mine in for the manual lens overexposure thing). I ended up not sending it in, so I don't know what their service is actually like, and I know what you mean about not wanting to be without the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3

Hi nhmom,

I sent one of my bodies in to check a problem. I sent it USPS express insured, get a return receipt so you know that they got it.

I didn't hear a thing from them, but they turned it around in less than 10 days -- faster than their guesstimate, but in my case they said that all they did was test, install new firmware, retest, and return it, so YMMV if there are any parts needed, or there are more cameras in que waiting to be tested.

When I got a little anxious and called them after not hearing even that they had received it, the CS guy told me it had already been checked out and was on its way back. I would have appreciated a receipt e-mail and a shipping e-mail, but maybe that's changed. . . I kinda doubt it tho. I can't complain . . . it all happened faster than I had expected.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:07 AM   #4

Hi Patty

JMO opinion here. You have been having this issue now for several months. You have gotten New battery's and a new Charger and yet the issue persists. I personally would bite the bullet and send it back to Pentax. If you wait and try more things you will lose the warrenty.
I Now how you feel about losing It, as i have been without my laptop for several weeks now. Like you my warrenty was running out . so i just bit the Bullet and sent it in for repair. Seems like Its been 10 Years already.

BTW Don't expect much more than 75 Shots on those Alkalines. If it were me and i had such an important occasion coming Up i would have purchased the CRV3.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:02 AM   #5

Thanks all for the tips and input. It's much appreciated.

Phil, I do have a newset of CRV3's in the bag. Along with three sets of newly charged NiMH's. So, won't be left high and dry. You can bet I'll be checking every photo as I take them to replace the batteries immediately if needed. The reason for the alkalines was to purposely run out quickly. The CRV3's I get 300-400 shots from and I'm thinking about 200-300 on the NiMH's. Haven't really counted the shots on them. Oh, and hope your laptop returns soon. I'd be lost without that, too. How we depend on our electronics!

I think you may beright about just going ahead and returning it. I may be out of a camera for a month or so, butbetter that than be having tobuy a new one or pay mega for repairs on this one. We get back Sunday. I'll see about getting it in the mail Monday.

Scott, if you had no problems with USPS I may just go that route. Easy to get to and probably much cheaper than our local UPS store that's a ripoff.

Patty
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:28 AM   #6

Now really nervous. But, trying to stay calm.

I called Pentax yesterday to check on the status of my camera. They couldn't even tell me if they had it or not. I sent it UPS, insured, with tracking. I have that it was delivered to them last Friday night at 8:30. Will be getting the detailed info on the shipment when I get to work and calling them again.

I'm sure everything is okay and I just got someone last night who was too lazy to pursue what happened to my camera. I hope :?
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:53 AM   #7

I know what you mean about being nervous, but I'm sure it will work out all right. At least Pentax will talk to you - I spent about an hour yesterday wandering around various taped messages with Verizon before I managed to talk to someone (once I talked to areal personit was OK - they passed me on to someone else, who passed me on to someone else, who passed me on to someone's voicemail who called me back and passed me on to the right person).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 1:03 PM   #8

It is easier for me to say that it will be ok. I had a similar experience with another make and it seems when talking to them they were a day behind the information I received about the status of my camera.

In fact, I got a letter stating that they received it and will start work on it right away when in fact, I got it back early that morning. I found that to be funny but not during the wait for it to come back.

Hang in there and hopefully the wait will be rewarded by the camera performing as expected.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:01 PM   #9

Thanks guys.

I did call them today and they still don't have record of it. But, he assured me if I had UPS notification it was delivered that they have it. I'll probably call again on Monday. I can be impatient. Especially when I feel naked without my camera. And, we are going into Boston tomorrow! Guess I'll get my old film SLR out. The son and fiance seem to have misplaced the old p&s digital.

Impatient Patty
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:30 PM   #10

Hi Patty

Any News yet?? I Finally got my laptop back after 4 weeks. The old saying is True"You dont know what you got Till Its Gone" I Never reized how much I would miss it.
Hope You Get \Got some good news

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote