Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:59 PM   #1

Hi All,

Took my mom to a Kinesiologist (sp?) today, and saw a bunch of Barn Swallows swooping around. I saw one fly in under a sheltered entrance and not come out for about 20 seconds, so after it left, I checked it out.

I saw these guys , but they didn't move, which I thought was kinda strange. I took a shot, and they still didn't move,

so I took another shot from a different angle -- both using the pop up flash.

I left and went around to check the other similar entranceways, finding either a fully or partially built nest under each, but no visible babies.

I went inside and took a look at the shots of the babies on the LCD. In the back of my mind, I thought they could be dead, but wanted to see what was in the shots to see if I could tell from them. I saw that their eyes were open and clear, and from the second angle, there were actually three!

I went back and took a couple more shots, but now the mom was trying to get back to her babies, and she was pretty upset with me standing there, so I backed off after just a few. . .

. . .But I did get one of the three amigos. . . and to my relief there was no way they were dead!

Mom's got an appointment for next week, so I'll make sure I bring the cam. . . Maybe since I know what to expect, I can bet better quality than these.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:51 AM   #2

Are they not so cute, can't wait for more shots, just don't upset Mum.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 1:59 AM   #3

Congratulations, Scott. It's rare to get so close. I've got swallows in my barnhouse, but the nests are made just under the ridge of the roof, so I wouldn't get there even with a long ladder. It would be a challange to try to get a swallow in flight!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 2:57 AM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
It would be a challange to try to get a swallow in flight!
Hi Kjell,

Thanks. . .

I actually tried, and have quite a few shots of blank sky to show for it! Much worse than my usual BIF shots -- in most of those, I at least got a tail or some feet. . .:-)

I have, however, developed a plan to get some shots of the mom feeding the babies next time using a tripod, external flash, and the IR remote, so we'll see how well that works. Might even go out tomorrow to try it. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:46 PM   #5

This series is FUN. Keep them coming.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:05 PM   #6

Cool series, and I'll be interested to see more, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote