Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:25 AM   #1

after the demise of raw shooter se i was struggling to find a raw editor that would open the K10D raw files (rse opend ds files but not 10D)
i tried a few including the Pentax one
i wasnt happy with any i tried
some didnt keep the meta data
or i needed one program to browse and one to edit
or the controls were wierd
until i found this one
http://www.rawtherapee.com/
a nice free one that seems to work fine
it has a few profiles preset and a neutral one where everything is turned off or is at zero

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
Administrator

If you're looking for a free converter, the latest UFRaw probably supports it, too (it's using code from Dave Coffin's dcraw.c to perform the conversion, and Dave supports more cameras than anyone else).

The latest version of UFRaw using code from dcraw.c version 8.62 and I don't know when Dave added the K10. The current dcraw.c version is 8.76 and I know it's in that one. It's probably in 8.62, too.

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Raw Therapee does look pretty interesting though. I played with it not long ago under Windows (although it did crash on me twice in one night), and some of the editing functions appear to work on jpeg files, too (although that is when it crashed -- saving edited jpeg images). It only did that twice though, and it may be a quirk with my Windows install that caused it. I haven't tried the Linux version yet (it's on my things to do list). lol

Lately, I use mostly digiKam 0.9.2 under Linux to convert raw files (since it's also got a lot of nice image management features, editing plugins for simple tasks, etc.). It's using Dave Coffin's dcraw.c code to perform the raw conversion (as many converters do) and supports Dave's latest wavelet noise reduction algorithms added to newer dcraw.c versions, too. It also supports batch conversions if you took lots of photos needing similar processing and corrections, and has better metadata support (EXIF, Makernotes) than any Windows app I've seen supporting this many cameras.

http://www.digikam.org/?q=about/features09x

Of course, you can also use dcraw.c from command line. But, you'd have to pass it parameters for how you want the conversion to work (white balance, any multipliers for exposure or color, noise reduction, preferred demosaic algorithm, highlight recovery options, etc.), versus sliders for parameters like you have in most converters based on it.

http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I'd suggest SimplyMEPIS 6.5.02 (a very easy to install and use Linux distro) if you wanted to give that a try (use Linux with some of the available free tools for image processing). It can read and write to NTFS partitions, and it's got GParted (an open source partition manager) built in so you can resize a Windows NTFS Partition (make it smaller) to make room for Linux partitions.

The GRUB boot manager it can install will give you a menu choice that allows you to boot into either LInux or Windows as desired. The Live CD .iso you can download for free is aorund 700MB. and it needs around 4GB of space to install (it's got lots of stuff compressed into a 700MB CD), and includes loads of free software pre-installed (Firefox with Flash Player 9, Open Office, image management programs like digiKam and much more). It does not include the latest digiKam version though (it's on 0.9.0 and the current version is 0.9.2).

http://www.mepis.org

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 4:24 PM   #3

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
after the demise of raw shooter se i was struggling to find a raw editor that would open the K10D raw files (rse opend ds files but not 10D)
Quote:
until i found this one
http://www.rawtherapee.com/
a nice free one that seems to work fine
it has a few profiles preset and a neutral one where everything is turned off or is at zero
That is the one I am currently playing with. I have had a few crashes also. Conversions seem to take longer than the Lightroom or Silkypix demo versions. As I am learning it, though, I am starting to get pretty good results. It is certainly worth more than the $5 donation the author asks for if you keep using it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:33 PM   #4
Administrator

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I have had a few crashes also.
Good to know (it's not just me). lol

I'll try to get around to trying the Linux version soon. It may be a just quirk with Windows and I think the author may have released a newer version since I downloaded it anyway.

It did look very promising based on what I saw playing with it for one night.

Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:42 PM   #5

i just d/l mepis and burned a disk. after it boots i don't know how to access anything. is it suppose to be like using windoz?

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:56 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
is it suppose to be like using windoz?
Nah... It's much better than Windows. ;-)

The default username is demo when the login screen comes up. The password is also demo.

Then, you should get the main screens. If you're not getting that far, you probably burned it incorrectly. It will need to be burned to CD using a program that understands how to burn a bootable .iso image to CD. One program that can do that for you is the free edition of Deep Burner (second download choice on this page)

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Basically, you just choose the "burn .iso image" menu choice you'll see pop up when you start it, browse for and select the .iso image you downloaded and follow the prompts to burn the image to CD. Then, boot into it.

After that, click on the icon in the bottom left corner of your taskbar and you'll see lots of menu choices for applications (it works like the "Start" button you see in Windows).

Here is a multi-page review of it with some screen captures included:

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15040

Make sure it works with your hardware OK. Then, if you want to install it, I'll be happy to guide you through the process. You'll find an Install Icon on your desktop for that purpose. But, it's usually a bit easier to resize your existing NTFS partition first and create an ext3 partition (that's the type of file system that usually works best) for Linux using GParted (a partition manager you'll find in the menus). It's also a good idea to create a 1GB Linux Swap partition. It's easier than it sounds.

Make sure it works OK from a Live CD and let me know if you want to try installing it and I'll try to give you easy directions with some screen captures. Note that it will run extremely slow from a Live CD (because of the CD speed limitations, combined with how it's decompressing software on the fly because it's compressed on the 700MB CD). It's much faster after you install it to a hard drive.