Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2007, 5:58 PM   #1

Hey Roger

I was wondering how you felt about using a camera & a spotting scope (digiscoping, correct??), as opposed to the K10D and the Bigma, now that you have several months use of the latter under your belt??

Is it possible to use a Pentax DSLR with a spotting scope??..Or is another type of camera required??

I havea spotting scopepacked away from when I shot muzzleloaders..

What qualitydoes the spotting scope have to be to get an acceptable image??

Can you reccomend any links on the subject??

Not much seems to be posted on this subject here at Steve's, so that's why I'm asking here on the Pentax forum..

Anyone else here on the forum used a spotting scope as a telephoto lens..

Thanks, Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2007, 6:53 PM   #2

Hey Roger

I was wondering how you felt about using a camera & a spotting scope (digiscoping, correct??), as opposed to the K10D and the Bigma, now that you have several months use of the latter under your belt?? Is it possible to use a Pentax DSLR with a spotting scope??..Or is another type of camera required?? 1/2 as good using a digiscope. Photos are not near as good and you keepers probably around 5 %. I have heard of adaptors for usinga a SLR camera and a scope but all the ones I have seen and my personal one is a small point and shoot. The lens on the camera really needs to be a little smaller than your scope eyepiece. The more pixels the better cuz you will be doing a lot of cropping.

I havea spotting scopepacked away from when I shot muzzleloaders..

What qualitydoes the spotting scope have to be to get an acceptable image?? I use Zeiss 85mm scope with a Zeiss 20 to 60 eye piece. This is one of if not the best you can buy and still only 5% keepers.

Can you reccomend any links on the subject?? Here is a link to the equipment I use. http://www.digiscopehunting.com/turnkeykit.html

A link to a discussion board about digiscoping http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=243

Not much seems to be posted on this subject here at Steve's, so that's why I'm asking here on the Pentax forum..

Anyone else here on the forum used a spotting scope as a telephoto lens..

Thanks, Bruce

Bruce IMHO the botton line: My K10D with my BIGMA and my BushHawk is cheaper than a quality digiscoping set up. It also is many, many times faster ( Setting up a digiscope to get a photo is time consuming) and my keepers are fairly high even though I always use burst mode. BIF's are so diffuclult you are better off not even trying.

I still use my Digiscope when I take folks out looking to get a wildlife photo and they know nothing or very little about cameras. With a novice when it comes to cameras and wildlife I can set up the Digiscope and turn the remote over to them when it is ready so they are going to take the photo. You 98% of the time have to use the ambush approach so you are ready and waiting on the wildlife to come to where you want them.

I use my spotting scope most every day that I go out to the woods to find what it is I want to get closer to with my K10D & Bigma & BushHawk. It is one of my most important tools when it comes to Wildlife other than when I am at a spot I already know what is where and when it should be there. The real secret to finding wildlife and you allready know this, from your muzzleloading is knowing how to scan first with a spotting scope and then your binoculars as you are moving in closer. Lots of folks don't understand that if you aren't spending 80 % or more of your time stopping and taking a closer look at rocks, tree stumps you are not even close to glassing right. Another thing is when you do find something the extra 1/2 hour or so reglassing the area to find out where his friends are so they don't give you away is a must.

Sorry about being so long winded but I watch so many people get frustrated because they can't find animals and the animals are there and I do know how to find them so I get off on a long winded speach.

I people would just take the time to learn the correct way to find them and then how to stalk in close enough for a photo they would get a lot more keepers.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 8:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the informative reply Roger

My spotting scope is nowheres near the quality of the Zeiss that you own..

I was hoping to maybe be able to use it as a substitute for a camera lens until I can afford the Bigma..

I kinda thought that it would be a less than acceptable alternative, but I was hoping you would say different..

I'll just use it for what it was designed for, spotting game & looking at targets..

Any suggestions on a good pair of binoculars??

Are the binoculars that you use at the same quality level as the spotting scope??

What's your opiniion on armored binocs??

I've looked through some high-end Nikon, Swavroski, & Steiner binocs, but there are so many choices nowadays that it's a little confusing..

The image quality of the ones I've looked through is so much better than what I now have that it's unbelievable..

Mine are so-so, and I want to upgrade in the next 6 months or so..

Bruce
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:57 PM   #4

Roger..thanks for the tips when it comes to looking for animals and birds. I don't have a spotting scope, but I do have a reasonable quality, old Pentax binoculars.

Now I know night shooting (cameras, not guns) is not something we do...but on ocassion I have been out in isolated country when I've been amazed at all the animals I've been able to spot, with my binocs, in the night. Lot's of activity going on.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:06 AM   #5

Thanks for the informative reply Roger

My spotting scope is nowheres near the quality of the Zeiss that you own..

I was hoping to maybe be able to use it as a substitute for a camera lens until I can afford the Bigma..

I kinda thought that it would be a less than acceptable alternative, but I was hoping you would say different..

I'll just use it for what it was designed for, spotting game & looking at targets..

Any suggestions on a good pair of binoculars?? Swavroski, Zeiss, Leica & Steiner from what I have seen are all probably real close. Buying binoculars is like buying a camera lens the better the glass the better the job they will do IMHO

Are the binoculars that you use at the same quality level as the spotting scope?? Yes they are.

What's your opiniion on armored binocs?? I don't know anything about them

I've looked through some high-end Nikon, Swavroski, & Steiner binocs, but there are so many choices nowadays that it's a little confusing. If you are looking at their better models I would suggest you test them in low light and looking into shadows. That is where you are going to find most of the wildlife.

The image quality of the ones I've looked through is so much better than what I now have that it's unbelievable.. The outfitter that I work with and his guides, we all live and die with good glass. We have one pair of Leica, 4 pair of Zeiss and 4 pair of Swavroski binoculars in the bunch.

Mine are so-so, and I want to upgrade in the next 6 months or so..

Bruce

What I did was at a large sporting goods show (Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation) I went to each booth and gave them my credit card and took the floor model outside at almost dark and went around to the back of the building and tested them in low light and shadows. Zeiss worked best for my eyes and yet Leica worked best for a friend of mine. Since I have a habit of up-grading I also like the idea of a lifetime transferable warranty.

Bottom Line try to test them in the conditions you will need them the most.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:25 AM   #6

WackyRoger wrote:
Bruce

What I did was at a large sporting goods show (Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation) I went to each booth and gave them my credit card and took the floor model outside at almost dark and went around to the back of the building and tested them in low light and shadows. Zeiss worked best for my eyes and yet Leica worked best for a friend of mine. Since I have a habit of up-grading I also like the idea of a lifetime transferable warranty.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Thanks Roger, I hadn't considered shopping at dark for the binocs..

There will be an outdoor show in town this fall & Iwill try todo as you did so as to test them in the dark..If I can afford them before the show, I'll do the same at the local stores before purchasing..

That will show me the ability of each model / brand to gather light as my eyes percieve it..

BTW, what magnification / exit pupil diameter binocs do you & the other guides prefer..

My current binocs are 8 x 40 Bell & Howell's (not so good)..I'm leaning towards another pair of 8 x 40's..

Bruce
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:38 AM   #7

You might want to look at some Pentax high end binoculars since I find them to be on par with the Lica and Zeiss models and they cost far less! As Roger said, the real test is in low light since most of them work just fine when the sun is out.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:54 AM   #8

baltochef920 wrote:
Quote:
WackyRoger wrote:
Bruce

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Thanks Roger, I hadn't considered shopping at dark for the binocs..

There will be an outdoor show in town this fall & Iwill try todo as you did so as to test them in the dark..If I can afford them before the show, I'll do the same at the local stores before purchasing..

That will show me the ability of each model / brand to gather light as my eyes percieve it..

BTW, what magnification / exit pupil diameter binocs do you & the other guides prefer..

My current binocs are 8 x 40 Bell & Howell's (not so good)..I'm leaning towards another pair of 8 x 40's..

Bruce
Right now I am using the Zeiss Victory 10x42 FLT Binocular.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:01 AM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
You might want to look at some Pentax high end binoculars since I find them to be on par with the Lica and Zeiss models and they cost far less! As Roger said, the real test is in low light since most of them work just fine when the sun is out.

Tom
Thanks Tom

I hadn't considered Pentax binocs (forgot that they made them!!)..

I'll try to see if anyone local is selling them..

Bruce
Old Jul 22, 2007, 6:17 PM   #10

I have the Pentax DCF SP, 10X43 and find them to be equal to the best I have used at a much lower price, although not inexpensive either.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote