Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:45 PM   #11

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Daniel, I think you have me confused with someone else (Crashman??)...cheers...Don
Oops sorry
What lens was that? I could only see that it was 300mm. Really premium quality both lens and skills.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:06 PM   #12

Thanks Daniel. It was the FA*300 4.5. I ran a NR on these as they were all high ISO as it was such a dark day. I don't usually use NR, but these warranted its use...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 11:18 PM   #13

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Daniel. It was the FA*300 4.5. I ran a NR on these as they were all high ISO as it was such a dark day. I don't usually use NR, but these warranted its use...Don
Don,

I am relieved that I am forgiven. Anyway did you have your FA* autofocus on the hummer's shot?

Why I am asking is that I had trouble with my manual focus 300mm. That is understanable. So I use my FA135mm at closer distance. I still found that I had better result with manual focus even though the lens is fast but not quite as fast as the hummers. By the time when it hunts even once the bird is gone.

I can see that why you jacked up the iso as light for hummer shots is very critical.

My 135mm were all of F4 or under at iso800.

Daniel
Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 12:02 AM   #14

Hi Daniel.

Yes, I used AF for the hummer. Pretty tough to get a shot in the wild on a hummer using MF (at least for me), I would think. Never tried it. They just don't sit still very long. I was lucky to get these 2 shots using AF.

Which camera body are you using? The k10d is fast for AF, and I find it is quite good even in bad light outside. Not sure about indoors. I had the same lens on the istDS, and it hunted a lot more frequently than with the k10d. I don't find that it hunts much except for bif shots. That's a whole other ballgame, and I'm not sure the Pentax is up to the other 2 makers (C and N) when if comes to CAF and tracking bif's. I know I sure struggle to get a good shot of flying birds...Don

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Don,

I am relieved that I am forgiven. Anyway did you have your FA* autofocus on the hummer's shot?

Why I am asking is that I had trouble with my manual focus 300mm. That is understanable. So I use my FA135mm at closer distance. I still found that I had better result with manual focus even though the lens is fast but not quite as fast as the hummers. By the time when it hunts even once the bird is gone.

I can see that why you jacked up the iso as light for hummer shots is very critical.

My 135mm were all of F4 or under at iso800.

Daniel
Toronto
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:21 AM   #15

All very nice shots, the hummer is one of the better I have seen and I just love the colours and contrast in No. 3.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote