Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:41 PM   #1

When the forums go down and you can't look at other peoples photos, you have to take your own . . .

Fly over to the Wildlife forum and see my two part photoessay on an urban rookery

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:50 PM   #2

Hi penolta,

Great stuff! There's a multi-species heron rookery a couple of hours away from me, reportedly with Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, Great Egrets, and Black Crowned Night Herons. I don't know how accessible it is to photographers, and I haven't gotten down there yet , but if it's anything like what you have there, it'll be worth it.

Thanks for giving us a look at this!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:55 AM   #3

Wonderful series! Amazing what you can find in urban areas - your park egrets aremuch more interesting than the sea gulls that hang around the dumpsters in the alley.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 11:28 AM   #4

Scott - one caveat on visiting rookeries, expecially in the early stages of the cycle. Be careful not to cause any disturbance that would cause adults to leave their nests with eggs or young chicks unprotected. These birds are carnivorous as well as piscivorous, and do not hesitate to prey on their neighbors nests. I have seen film footage of Black-crowned Night Herons stealing Egret chicks while the parents were distracted or inattentive, and I wouldn't put it pastGreat Blueseither. Great Blues around here seem to prefer taller isolated trees or even telephone poles in parking lots, and haven't used this colony - maybe the trees are too small to support their huge nests.

Thanks to you and Harriet for commenting.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:55 PM   #5

Hi penolta,

Thanks for the warning about the rookeries. I hadn't thought of the predatory nature of herons and how I could do some real harm getting too close. I did have a chance to get really close to a man-made GBH rookery earlier this year, and though, at one point I did get too close, my natural inclination was to back off to a distance where my movements no longer disturbed them. I'll certainly keep this in mind in the future!

My rookery visit was documented in this post if you're interested:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Your presence in this forum has been of significant help to me in my birding pursuits. . .Hopefully it will continue for a long time. -- Thanks again.

Scott
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:08 PM   #6

guess i'm lucky to have a GBH rookery in the yard. i was just out looking at them and tried to get a shot except no card . haven't gotten use to the reader i got recently.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:04 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
guess i'm lucky to have a GBH rookery in the yard. i was just out looking at them and tried to get a shot except no card . haven't gotten use to the reader i got recently.
Hi Roy,

You are lucky indeed! I have to drive over 20 minutes to visit one, and with the price of gas (and the pitiful mileage that I get), I've pulled back considerably on the range I'm willing to travel to shoot every day.

Well I've never left the card in the reader. . .NOT!:-) Does that make you feel stupid or what. . .

I've gotten into the habit of leaving the card door open on the camera until it's replaced, and though it allows for the possiblity of breaking the door off, I haven't had the problem since.

Scott
Old Jul 24, 2007, 7:16 PM   #8

I left a card in the reader for the first time last week, too, but fortunately it wasn't when I went over to the rookery! Cameras should not "take a picture" if there is no card inside. You just shoot merrily away, and when you go to review the pictures you didn't take, the LCD screams at you "NO CARD INSIDE."

Scott, your GBH series was posted when I had just joined the forums and hadn't spentenough time here to feel comfortable about commenting. They must be grown and gone by now. Thanks for your comments about my participation - I sometimes worry that putting in too much information, or too often, might put people off.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:06 PM   #9

I did that a couple of times too. IIRC, there is a setting in the menu that will keep the camera from acting like it is taking a picture if there is no card inside. Also, I now leave a card in the reader at all times and simply swap cards when i need to download. That way there is always a card in the camera.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:17 PM   #10

Thanks for that, Tim- I'll go into the menus. I won't use your other method, though, because with more than one camera with the same type of card, I don'tcare to mix them up accidentally.