Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:40 PM   #11

You know, before I saw the ad on this lens 2000 USD was far above what I had ever dreamt of spending on camera equipment, let alone a single lens.

But after understanding that my A* 85 mm 1.4 wasn't just another lens and finding a A* 200 mm (at ~285 USD) I had developed a taste for good Pentax lenses and had made two lists: lenses I'm going to get when I have a chance at the right price, and lenses I'll be dreaming of. The 600 mm was on list number two, together with the A* 300 mm 2.8, the A*1200 mm 8.0, the A* 200 mm Macro and a few F* and FA*-lenses.

The thought of buying the lens was eating me. Didn't even dare to introduce the theme to my wife. After a few days I had decided that I was prepared to take a bank loan if needed. But I could take that loan from our own savings account (we've been saving for years to be able to take a family journey to South Africa, and we'll make that journey next year).

Very nervous about her reaction I introduced the idea to my loved one, and her response was immediate - and positive!She saw it as a wild card for herself to spend on her own hobby (medieval things) just raising an eyebrow saying "and that lens?" if I should question her spending our money on what I might consider extravagant or unnecessary. No divorce, but an even tighter relation, based on a mutualacceptance of what the other one wants. :love:I'm sure Harriet understands this bit.:bye:

I have paid back my debt to the holidays account (took me 15 months), and the lens is still around. Maybe my kids will get a neat sum when they sell it after my death, it won't be for sale before that.:G

The problem now is that I realize that I probably need a 2000 $ tripod to get the most out of the lens. The one I have isn't really up to the job. Roy, what do you use for the 500mm?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:16 PM   #12

Kjell - I sure understand that! Matter of fact, we've been talking about the Zeiss macro lens. Today I brought up that I could buy a Pentax macro plus the wide angle 12-24 for the price of the Zeiss, but he wasn't impressed. He seemed to think that if I'm going to get good gear, that I get the best I could afford and so thinks I should get the Zeiss. I have the best, most understandinghubby (and I'm happy to buy him all the books he wants).

It's funny - once you get a really good lens (it was the A*300 for me) it's hard to settle for anything else. I just hope that I'll be as happy with the DA*50-135 (camera store today said "not before next week").
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:21 PM   #13

My problem is there are no more steals on * lenses around lol. I got into this late last year and by that time the rush was already on on ebay. I'll take a serious look at the new * 50-135 zoom when it comes out, but until then I'm stuck saving up for shorter limiteds. Yeah I know, boo hoo for me lol. Still I envy those of you that got good deals on the longer * primes when you had the chance.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:15 AM   #14

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
My problem is there are no more steals on * lenses around lol.
Never say never! No *-lenses in this bucket, but anyway.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

So far I have sold the camera body, the bag and two lenses (the little zoom and the Tokina) and have recovered 1400 SEK (~210USD). I count on another 1000 SEK (~150 USD) when I sell the 50 mm 1.7. Then I'll have made a little profit, and still have an F 70-210, an FA 28 mm, an AF Adapter and a usable tripod.

So just keep looking (in the corners, not on ebay).

Kjell
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:56 AM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It's funny - once you get a really good lens (it was the A*300 for me) it's hard to settle for anything else.
wholeheartedly concur with you Harriet.

For me it was getting a vivitar 70-210 series 1 that opened my eyes, although being a a full manual lens the quality of shots with it are amazing. And that has set me on the path of self destruction, :-) getting my first lens that cost's more than my cam.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:37 AM   #16

The only good deals on high end Pentax glass is in camera shops which still look down on Pentax and many time sell their lenses for far less than they go for on ebay.

Before Pentax DSLR's became so well known their * lenses were the best deal around. I bought my FA* 20-70 2.8 from KEH for $350 in like new condition, but those days are over for sure.

The new lenses will have to be something really special for me to trade my FA* and A* glass for them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:58 PM   #17

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
And that has set me on the path of self destruction, :-) getting my first lens that cost's more than my cam.
Ronny, it only shows that you finally came to understand that the camera body is a disposable accessory to the lenses. Which one do you believe will be with you for longer, the Vivitar or your recent cam?

Kjell
Old Jul 28, 2007, 6:55 AM   #18

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kman,

I'll pass on this one, I'm waiting for the pancake DA*version. Rumor has it that it's length will be reduced from 18 to 12 inches, and will weigh only 10 lbs as opposed to the 15+ of the FA* version. The downside is that it will be a DA* Ltd, and will cost in excess of $10K, but they supply bodyguard service for the first year. . .

:-)

Scott
I'm a bit surprised you heard this rumor, since it was supposed to be a well kept secret till Christmas. Thereare still some engineering problems to solve. The prototype I have been given to try out, compressed the image (due to light being a fluid wave particle magnetic matter) to such an extent that the pictures can only be printed on ultra-thin paper. And another problem is that you have to provide housing for the bodygards, thats not included.

Kjell
Attached Images

Old Jul 28, 2007, 8:52 AM   #19

ROTFL! Kjell - I love it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:32 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
ROTFL!* Kjell - I love it!
Well. That is nice and compact. Befitting the subject of this thread.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote